Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HPI Savage 4.6 or AE MGT 8.0? What would you get if given the choice? >

HPI Savage 4.6 or AE MGT 8.0? What would you get if given the choice?

HPI Savage 4.6 or AE MGT 8.0? What would you get if given the choice?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default HPI Savage 4.6 or AE MGT 8.0? What would you get if given the choice?

Hey everyone, I recently had a MGT 8.0 and loved it. The connecting rod broke and ruined the piston and sleeve in the process. Being the impatient person i am, i traded it for a t-maxx that is in brand new condition and i hate it. The only reason i am torn between the MGT and the Savage is it seems like the Savage has a lot more hop ups and accesories available, like the 3 speed tranny, I would love the Savage XL but that's more than the woman will let me spend on what she calls a "toy". Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
ben
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

If it was me get another 8.0 MGT roller and put and LRP or someone elses motor on it. The MGT is double tough. Just put lunsford turnbuckles on it.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Rookie

I dont blame you for hating the t maxx, i know a few people who have traded those off soon after they got them. My one friend traded his for a savage and he couldnt be happier. You know what a mgt is like so you could get one of those again, or you could get a savage. Honestly either way is good to go. Ive never owned a mgt so i cant say if ones better than the other.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The Savage is tougher than the MGT when it comes to bashing. The MGT is easier to work on though for the most part. Mainly gearing changes, servo linkages and things like that are much easier to fool with.

Id probably have to go with the savage just from a durability standpoint, and I think they jump a lot better as well. That said, I have never had any real durability issues out of my MGT's other than the somewhat weak turnbuckles and the shocks popping the caps off a few times. Just buy the one you like the best.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cant vouche for the mgt but man the savage x 4.6 is beast ! Super fast super durable! And like you mentioned theres tons of hop ups! Only thing i would recommend getting for the savage is a different servo, the stock one isnt bad but a lot of them crap out. Mine gave after about a gallon and a half of fuel! But pther then that I dont regret spending the $500 for her.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Losi XXL..

Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Losi XXL..

+1

I have a Savage 4.6 and the Losi XXL. Can't speak for the AE.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

+2
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Savage. I have had many trucks and friends that had what : havnt. Savage hands down for me. I've never beat a truck so much and have it be ready for more.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

hands down the savage!! personally id rather have the mgt 4.6 over the 8.0 due to the strange tranny gearing of the 8.0 and after some shims and tlc the only thing that will break on a 4.6 is the transmission shaft occasionally...but the savage is definetely the truck of choice of the two you asked about....the mgt has the ideal wheelbase imo for jumping, etc, and the savage xl is too long while the standard savage is too short, thus making the fast lane machine lcg ext chassis the all around perfect wheelbase and ultra sound building platform!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Just something to consider. There isn't much aftermarket for the MGT because they don't break very often. The 4.6SE is a strong MGT no doubt. My MGT is handling and LRP ZR.30 spec 2 with relative ease. that motor is a brute.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

The one upgrade the mgt can benefit hugely from is the Full Force Rc 7075 suspension pivot blocks...itll save much headaches from replacing the soft alum stock ones and prevent bent hingepins also....just past experience im passin along is all
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default thanks everyone for the great imput!

i was pretty much sold on the mgt until i read some of your posts! i have also been considering the losi xxl. i love having reverse. not really sure why, but it's an important feature. so if i go with the savage i would have to get the reverse module and a 3 channel rx/tx so it would pretty much equal out in the end. another problem i am having is that there isnt a decent lhs that -isnt over 35-45 minutes away. and one is hobbytown usa so i'm not even sure if that can be counted as a lhs. amain and horizon both have the losi xxl out of stock. do any of you know of a good online store that deals with losi products? if so please let me know. i really appreciate all replys, comments and suggestions. they are all important to me. this is going to be a big purchase and i do not think the woman would let me make these purchases to often so it has to count!!!
thanks again everyone,
benbishop98
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by benbishop98
i was pretty much sold on the mgt until i read some of your posts! i have also been considering the losi xxl. i love having reverse. not really sure why, but it's an important feature. so if i go with the savage i would have to get the reverse module and a 3 channel rx/tx so it would pretty much equal out in the end. another problem i am having is that there isnt a decent lhs that -isnt over 35-45 minutes away. and one is hobbytown usa so i'm not even sure if that can be counted as a lhs. amain and horizon both have the losi xxl out of stock. do any of you know of a good online store that deals with losi products? if so please let me know. i really appreciate all replys, comments and suggestions. they are all important to me. this is going to be a big purchase and i do not think the woman would let me make these purchases to often so it has to count!!!
thanks again everyone,
benbishop98

The losi will be the most expensive prolly, have the fewest parts on hand at any hobby shop, online or in person, has a lame external 2 speed and oddball clutchbell setup, its a gay losi, and in the end anyone imo would be happiest with a mgt 4.6 or a savage x ss...the xl is wut i started my last project with and wish it had been a ss kit instead...xl has overly ridiculous and heavy outdrives and bones where the ss kit uses much smaller and lighter hardened and chrome outdrives and bones that imo are longer lasting and waaaaay lighter! ..just another 2 cents
Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

savage savage savage savage savage savage savage savage savage savage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love my savages

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.