Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HPI Savage 4.6 or AE MGT 8.0? What would you get if given the choice? >

HPI Savage 4.6 or AE MGT 8.0? What would you get if given the choice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Savage 4.6 or AE MGT 8.0? What would you get if given the choice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oilguy
The losi will be the most expensive prolly, have the fewest parts on hand at any hobby shop, online or in person, has a lame external 2 speed and oddball clutchbell setup, its a gay losi, and in the end anyone imo would be happiest with a mgt 4.6 or a savage x ss...the xl is wut i started my last project with and wish it had been a ss kit instead...xl has overly ridiculous and heavy outdrives and bones where the ss kit uses much smaller and lighter hardened and chrome outdrives and bones that imo are longer lasting and waaaaay lighter! ..just another 2 cents

Losi hater much? I like the Savage and MGT 2 speed setup better, but there is nothing wrong with how losi did it. Just a different way of getting to the same place. My Savage is the most Durable truck I have ever owned, but my LST's are the best handling MT's I have ever owned and it makes them very fun to drive since you can run them pretty hard without worrying about flipping them. Those huge shocks are no joke either, they make the Losi's handle jumps very well. My Savage also handles jumps very well, but the MGT trucks IMO need some suspension work and aluminum shocks or at least the FT caps to be ready for much big jumping.

Also, you are wrong about the 4.6 SS kit. The outdrives on those trucks are weaker and dont wear nearly as good as the RTR stuff, not to mention the flux/xl outdrives which are a huge improvement over the SS stuff.

If reverse is a major requirement, the savage reverse module works pretty well without much extra slack. I do NOT reccomend leaving reverse in the MGT transmission. There is too much slack with reverse installed and it will tear up the transmission over time. The Losi has a nice reverse setup without much extra play in the transmission.

I have owned about every mainstream MT out there, along with a few oddballs. Most all of them will do what you ask of them. Most all of them have a couple downfalls. Just buy the one you like best and upgrade it to suit your needs.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

If you pay attention to 8th scale top-end buggy and truggy racing stuff, you'd notice that X-ray, Mugen, Losi, and all the rest are constantly trying to shift the engine - and therefore COG, to the center. With the LST's, it's right there, already in the middle. Which is part of the reason it handles so fantastically. Who cares which way it sticks? The LST2 has great gearing, and a great 2-speed, which is more durable than the Savage's.. And so is the whole rest of the truck to be honest..

If you really wanted to, you could also do clutch maintenance on the LST without taking the engine out. And taking the transmission out is easy too, if necessary..

I like Savages, but after seeing the made-of-butter drivetrain on my last one..., never again... My LST2 has been seriously ten times as durable.. Which is why I still have it six years later, whereas I got rid of that Savage XSS years ago.. And good riddens too..

The only thing I don't like about the XXL is the lengthened chassis, which I think might compromise chassis stability. I really think you need the New Era rollbar with the XXL, moreso than with the LST2. But if you get that, all set...

Here in Germany the MGT's (here MTA4's) are priced really well, so that's what I would get from those two. Though I'd prefer the Savage XL just based on the truck, assuming I didn't have to pay too much more. Though I really do believe the Losi XXL is a wiser investment.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

For me, LSTs are best overall. no doubt i hv a flux, maintenance on LSTs are super easy access. LSTs are well balanced truck for jumps out of the box.

I use my 3 LST2 for more than 5 years and still going strong every weekend including monthly club races.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Dude, Love my MGT 8.0. One BADASS Truck. This one is completly MOD. Not much is still stock. All kinds of hopup parts out there, most all came from Asia. Transmission works great, Just make sure it's stopped before shifting into reverse. 5 gallons through this 8.0, still has great pinch. Running on the pipe. Pulls the wheel on command, in both forward and reverse. Kiiler truck,,,,

RazeMan
Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by razeman
Dude, Love my MGT 8.0. One BADASS Truck. This one is completly MOD. Not much is still stock. All kinds of hopup parts out there, most all came from Asia. Transmission works great, Just make sure it's stopped before shifting into reverse. 5 gallons through this 8.0, still has great pinch. Running on the pipe. Pulls the wheel on command, in both forward and reverse. Kiiler truck,,,,

RazeMan
Agreed - MGT 8.0(TT S50 in Asia) is a good truck. Actually I am surprise with its stock durability in taking an extreme beating/bashing - out of the box. Back flipping with bad landing on extreme ramps is not much of an issue for its stock setting..

look at video - MT Truck actions during one of our demos -

@2:00" - thats a MGT 8.0 with grave digger bodyshell doing backflip(good landing though)...

@2:40" - another one - bad landing

@3:20" - another one - back flip with bad landing

and a few other tries.

Friends MGT 8:0 was scared as his was stock and after all that tumbling - only problem was one shock came off from its casing..no broken bones/parts. Other brands - well it proves to what extent of extreme beatings/bashing it can take. Video shows E-LST2, EREVO, E-MAX, Flux and a few others.

good thing that landing was on grass. tarmac? i dunno anything can happen or break/no breaks i guess. Lady Luck is another factor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWsEl9ntpGw

if MGT 8.0 is within the budget/requirement allocated and would not want to get a flux/savage/LST..just go for MGT 6.0..single deck MT and easy to work with.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
Losi hater much? I like the Savage and MGT 2 speed setup better, but there is nothing wrong with how losi did it. Just a different way of getting to the same place. My Savage is the most Durable truck I have ever owned, but my LST's are the best handling MT's I have ever owned and it makes them very fun to drive since you can run them pretty hard without worrying about flipping them. Those huge shocks are no joke either, they make the Losi's handle jumps very well. My Savage also handles jumps very well, but the MGT trucks IMO need some suspension work and aluminum shocks or at least the FT caps to be ready for much big jumping.

Also, you are wrong about the 4.6 SS kit. The outdrives on those trucks are weaker and dont wear nearly as good as the RTR stuff, not to mention the flux/xl outdrives which are a huge improvement over the SS stuff.

If reverse is a major requirement, the savage reverse module works pretty well without much extra slack. I do NOT reccomend leaving reverse in the MGT transmission. There is too much slack with reverse installed and it will tear up the transmission over time. The Losi has a nice reverse setup without much extra play in the transmission.

I have owned about every mainstream MT out there, along with a few oddballs. Most all of them will do what you ask of them. Most all of them have a couple downfalls. Just buy the one you like best and upgrade it to suit your needs.

Lol!

+1 on all of em bein pretty damn good trucks and arent they all just kinda starting points anyways, out of the box...
Old 12-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have had a mgt for years, i put the rpm arms all around and the Forward only kit and the only thing i have ever replaced other then the stock servos and the turnbuckles with the ft ones is the front hinge pins. Its a beast of a truck. But between the savage and the mgt, you cant go wrong with either one.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but my savage flux hp with the XL conversion is a beast!

Much more fun than my nitro savages. I would definitely go with a savage though
Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Originally Posted by bhilly82
I have had a mgt for years, i put the rpm arms all around and the Forward only kit and the only thing i have ever replaced other then the stock servos and the turnbuckles with the ft ones is the front hinge pins. Its a beast of a truck. But between the savage and the mgt, you cant go wrong with either one.
+1
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I own an mgt 4.6 for the last few years and 8+ gallons and have had to rebuild the front driveshaft once. Other than that i accidently broke the pullstart by turning the engine backwards with a drill. Thats it.....

Savage xl i bought used with a brand new engine. 2 gallons and ive broken three metal gears in the tranny, which was not the trucks or my fault. The previous owner was running a 17/52 combo which will not work on the truck in its factory configuration. Went to a 15t clutchbell and havent broken anything since.

So in all honesty, i cant choose between the two and will keep both:-)
You cant go wrong either way imo

Losi build a great truck from what ive seen and heard from friends who own However ive never owned one before due to the high price of admission:-)
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The Losi is too low slung and heavy to be as good at either of the things the MGT and Savage do. It drags the chassis around like a giant skid plate, limiting it's off road bashing. I was never happy with my Losi off road on anything but light duty twiggy ground. The shocks are awesome, but it's no good on a monster truck that sits on the ground. The MGT is more of a monster in terms of straight line bashing with a rock solid design since it is too top heavy to really do high speed cornering maneuvers. The Savage x 4.6 can take a corner nearly as fast as a Revo and the 4.6 is a nuclear bomb that propels the Savvy like it is shot out of a canon. I have both the 3.3 Revo and the brushless as well as the 25 and 4.6 X Savages and I can tell you that if all you have owned is one of the old dumpy top heavy Savages, you need to go experience the 4.6 X because it finally became a polished piece of equipment in this last release. It doesn't feel like a piece of lead with 4 wheels now, It feels nimble and super fast. Product support and aftermarket goes to the Savvy as well. I have all of them and where the Losi is better on flat dirt and the MGT is better in the woods, the Sav 4.6 X can do it all just a little better in one package.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Do you even know what an LST is? "Sits on the ground?" What are you talking about?

(a Muggy?...)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

this is an endless debate, It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Last edited by sur3fir3; 01-05-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Losi XXL..

+1

I have had two MGT 4.6's and a savage 21 now I have the savage xl and the LST xxl and my first pick would be the LST xxl then the savage's then the MGT.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Do you even know what an LST is? "Sits on the ground?" What are you talking about?

(a Muggy?...)

NO I have no idea what an LST is other than the $1700.00 custom one sitting by my 4.6 X in these pics which has superior ground clearance in every way. No I have no idea what one is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.