Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
1/8 motor ideas? >

1/8 motor ideas?

1/8 motor ideas?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Overdriven
It's rare but it does happen on occasion! Seriously though, I thought you were informative without much "opinion". I merely elaborated with my experience with these trucks and different combos. I myself am waiting for someone who's had a different experience to chime in. Cause you know there's someone out there running 6s 2200kv with the Losi kit who never checks temps but will say its fine!

Btw, I think you'll be happy with the performance of the 2200 on 4s. I had alot of fun with it and I actually had to tone it down quite a bit for my nephews truck. I'm just one of those guys who likes overkill in my rigs though. Btw, it's kinda pricey but there is another mount for these trucks. Made by The Dude Racing (TDR), lots of adjustability and will mount just about anything in the truck. I'm cheap when it comes to stuff I know I can make or modify though, plus I love that part of the hobby. Never did get a chance to modify the Losi mount for a fan and better airflow though. If I get a chance I'll dig my other one out and post a couple pics when it's done.
i was eyeing your f/s thread... and i want to pull the trigger on a truck and a motor, but i also want to stay married.

my opinions are formed from running a few truggies and a couple e converted revos. i dont have any personal losi lst experience, but thats what you are here for.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

your 1800kv is very temptinggg..very difficult to find...hehehe...i would go for the 1800kv motor more than the 2200kv in a LST setup.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The CC1518 1800kv is better suited. It's a slightly longer motor so it has more torque and the 1800kv would allow 5s in the Losi mount and better gearing options in a different mount. It's a pretty kick ass motor all around, its shame they stopped making the bigger motors. I know I'll probably regret selling it but I don't see a use for it anytime soon.

Since Aqueel brought it up, a word about Lipos and C ratings (burst ratings). Anything with 25c constant or more will be sufficient, unless it's an ultra cheap pack like a Zippy. A motor will draw a given number of amps according to its setup regardless of the battery powering it. A higher C rating just provides a bigger "gas tank" for it to draw from and has no effect on motor and esc temps provided it can supply the required amps for the setup. There may be instances where the Lipo pack will be on its limit and not able to provide the required amps restricting the amp draw, while another higher C rated pack will allow full amp draw. Example: a setup will draw 100amps but a low c rated lipo can only provide 90. In this case you may see a difference in motor temps between the two Lipo packs as more amps generally equals higher temps, but the difference shouldn't be all that great to cause concern. If anything you should be more concerned about the lipo pack itself in these instances. Drawing too many amps from a Lipo can heat it up and cause puffing ruining the pack.

Last edited by Overdriven; 11-06-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

i dont know, overdriven, my four 3s zippys have handled severe abuse over the years from my 1/8th powered slash 4x4, to my d8t, my revos, my slayers, my vorza, a 1410 powered stampede 4x4, etc, etc.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

I've never had any Zippy's, but a few years back I didn't hear the greatest things about them in 1/8th scale applications. Glad you've had good luck with them, didn't mean to bash them. There are great lower priced packs (I use a bunch of Turnigy's among others myself) and I'm glad to hear Zippy's can be included in that. Was really just trying to explain why aqueel got the temp difference he did when using packs with different c ratings. Don't want anyone to be afraid of the higher c rated pack. The higher the better, with a few exceptions where ratings are inflated.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

good explanation and some correction on my part. anyhow I am happy with the cheaper turnigy nanotech 35C lipo. i used to use ORCA 70C some years ago - good, expensive but i notice the temps are slightly higher compared to turnigy 35C...both same limited gearing and same esc setup.. anyhow, i am sticking to 30-35C lipo now.

Friend uses 70-120C burst rate lipo but he changed his gearing to suit the burst rate..i believe he lowered it. some local racers here says its ok to use high burst rate like 70-120C but one has to know how to gear it...just sharing what the racers (Asia Pac) told me.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

The CC1518 1800kv is better suited. It's a slightly longer motor so it has more torque and the 1800kv would allow 5s in the Losi mount and better gearing options in a different mount. It's a pretty kick ass motor all around, its shame they stopped making the bigger motors. I know I'll probably regret selling it but I don't see a use for it anytime soon.
some one in here better grab the CC 1518, best suited for E-LST/Aft with stock 26T/70T gearing.

yeah - CC stop production on the 1518..its not a bad motor, heat management is also good cuz is a longer can.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

I've never had any Zippy's, but a few years back I didn't hear the greatest things about them in 1/8th scale applications. Glad you've had good luck with them, didn't mean to bash them. There are great lower priced packs (I use a bunch of Turnigy's among others myself) and I'm glad to hear Zippy's can be included in that. Was really just trying to explain why aqueel got the temp difference he did when using packs with different c ratings. Don't want anyone to be afraid of the higher c rated pack. The higher the better, with a few exceptions where ratings are inflated.
again, i agree... especially with the bold statement.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

The C rating only determines the amps the Lipo pack is capable of delivering. There's 2 ratings on most packs, constant/sustained and peak/burst which is meant to be 5 seconds or less. You simply multiply the C rating with the mah rating, example a 20c continuous 5000mah pack is supposed to be able to deliver 100amps continuously.

The motor, vehicle weight, tire size, gearing, etc will determine how many amps your system will draw. The system will try to draw this from the battery regardless of the batteries capabilities. So if your system will pull 100amps continuous, a 20c 5000mah pack is sufficient. A 5000mah 15C pack will not be able to supply enough amps and may end up lowering motor temps, but the lipos temp will be higher. A 5000mah 30C pack will just not be pushed as hard and have some reserve. I bring this up because you do not gear according to the C rating of your Lipos. You gear according to motor and esc temps. The only time you adjust gearing according to a Lipo pack is if your Lipo is getting too hot. Then you can lower the gearing saving you from buying another pack. Or in the case of your racer friend, you can up the gearing because the pack can put out more amps. But that's assuming the temps on the motor and esc aren't too high or he just doesn't mind pushing them higher.

Btw, I hate to sound like a know it all or contradict anyone, just making sure anyone reading this understands the whole picture and doesn't get the wrong idea.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Oops double post

Last edited by Overdriven; 11-06-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

the first post was fine... but posting it twice DOES make you look like a know it all haha

i see you have a 1/10 rally? i got mine a couple weeks ago and regretably have a tekin t8/mmp, rr hd clutch, rpm arms, anti sway bars, and savox 1258 in there. its a monster on my zippys.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

I just picked up my rally Sunday, haven't even run it yet. Got a bunch of guys to run in a parking lot with for a "stock" class kinda thing. So it won't be seeing any real mods for awhile, just tuning. T8 huh??? I see you subscribe to the same philosophy of "too much power is just enough!" Lol. I should look and see if there's a thread here for them yet.

Last edited by Overdriven; 11-06-2012 at 02:38 PM.