Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Savage Owner, Advice appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default New Savage Owner, Advice appreciated.

I'm new to nitro and monster trucks. I'm looking to bash this thing over the winter. I need to put in a new engine but am not sure of my options before purchase. The truck has a tired picco .26 in it right now. At the moment I'm leaning towards a dynamite .26 as it has a roto start and is very cheaply priced. It's so cheap I'm nervous about buying it as I don't want to buy a piece of crap that causes me loads of grief. As I'm new to nitro, I'd like to get a new engine that is very easily tuned, that I can bash in cold temps over the winter.
Also, I don't like the fact that there are 8 shocks on this truck. Is there a way I can consolidate to 4 bigger shocks? Anyone know if they make something like that? I am a racer and like to service my shocks often, 8 shocks will double the maintenance time. All advice and any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks for taking a look.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Lrp 28 spec 3 if its a savage x. Lrp spec 2 .30 if its a savage xl. I swear by these engines as i have owned 5 of them in most of my savages. Best bang for ur buck
Old 10-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Tech Champion

The 26 Dynamite is most likely awesome, because afaik it's based on the older Mach 26 and 427 - probably the best engines ever put in an RTR.

The Dynamite Big Red .28 is another SH-based engine which is great value for money. Big Red, LRP Spec 3/Losi 454(they are identical), LRP 30, etc.. - all good..

The Dynamite 26 has plenty of oomph for a standard Savage - and a nice screamy top end.. With the 28's and 30 it'll be more of a crazy wheely-monster - AND eat up the drive-train a bit more. It's easy to get sucked into the "bigger is better" mentality - but honestly, a Mach 427 is probably an ideal Savage engine. Wicked top-end, and plenty to wheelie if set up right.. I REALLY like the Dynamite Big Red in my LST2 too.. All the above are good IMO.

Some will chime in and say get a Picco 28. I've never run an MT Picco before, but lots of people seem to like them. I think they'll be a bit more work to break in, tune, etc.., but if set-up and tuned right, they are meant to be very powerful and nice to run...

My choice? Dynamite Big Red... - assuming they cost $130. If money is tight, get a Losi 454 new off ebay. You can get them for $100.. And again, it's identical to an LRP Spec 3.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Addict

Like he said the losi 454 is a great engine. It has tons of power. Identical to the lrp engines also
Old 10-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I'm gonna look up those LRP engines right now. Glad to hear the dynamite isn't a piece of crap heh. My good buddy has the limited edition savage and his engine is spectacular. Still haven't decided yet, open to more opinions before I invest. Anyone know anything about the shock situation?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Looks like you've gotten some good responses on engines.....I'll throw in my recommendation too. Simply rebuild the Picco you have in it. Picco's are quality engines, and a rebuild will be less expensive than a whole new engine (unless you buy a really cheap one). Give Lance a call at RCrenew / TritonRC. He can hook you up with Picco parts.

For shocks, just swap out to the new 4-shock big bores. You can get them online, or just look of Ebay for someone parting out a Savage X kit. They bolt right on....
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102365/

If you really want to go high end, you can get the aluminum big bores. They're more expensive, don't come with springs, but will last a long time.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/A720/

I'd recommend the plastic big bores for now though. I've got them on my Savage, and like them.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Personally id suggest just getting a F4.6 out of a stock savage. Its by far the best bang for your buck because you can get them on ebay for $120 with a roto start. I upgraded from a .25 motor and couldnt be happier. The motor is easy to tune and stays tuned regardless of temp. Also you dont need any more power than what this motor puts out, mine wont keep the wheels on the ground with high speed gearing and the motor running on the rich side.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

i would rebuild the picco engine as suggested. it is one of the better engine brand. if a new and cheap engine, get a 454 cheap but change the carb with your picco(its ok to do so) for long stability during usage. best is to replace the 454 carb with a LRP carb if it meets the budget. My few experience on the stock 454 carb is not good even though the engine is a-ok.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

454 carb is just fine. Identical to the LRP carb - 'cep the color.

I would not bother rebuilding an old engine for anywhere near the price of a new one.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
454 carb is just fine. Identical to the LRP carb - 'cep the color.

I would not bother rebuilding an old engine for anywhere near the price of a new one.
Agreed.. This guy knows his stuff. Seen alot of good info come out of him take his word for it. I may end up upgrading engines soon as well but my f4.6 still runs great. It def is more then enough power. But if i would go a different route i would get a losi 454 or lrp. Just my .02
Old 10-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

OP, check ur PM's. I have a NEW Losi 454 for sale.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

no worries, just get a new 454 meeting your budget and you should be fine.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

I'm very happy with all the replies I got. I have made my decision now as I got a great new engine for a great price. I ended up ordering a dynamite platinum .28xp engine. It has the roto and pull start on it, and it was right in my price range so I don't feel I got a cheapo-engine. Should have enough torque to move my massive aluminum-clad monster with ease. Anxious to see what it's capable of. They just built a new bash track in my area, hoping to get to it before the snow flies.

I think I will try the plastic big bores. Seems like they should do the job. I have people at my shop suggesting the LST shocks but I think it'd be a job fabricating my aluminum shock towers getting those to fit. Haven't held an LST shock in my hand, but they look massive... so I'll go the easy route and order the big bores heh. Thanks again guys.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you picked a good engine Andrew, I might have a couple extra ones of those also. I ran those a couple years ago when we ran 28s in the truggys but not sure if thier roto/pull starts.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NDHotbodies
you picked a good engine Andrew, I might have a couple extra ones of those also. I ran those a couple years ago when we ran 28s in the truggys but not sure if thier roto/pull starts.
Thanks man, I tried the 3.3 you handed me earlier this summer but the crank wasn't attached to the shaft the one-way sits on. Someone else gave me a new 3.3 also, but the front bearing was out in that. Didn't turn out, so I traded off the revo for a savage. You'll have to see it, it's loaded with option parts. I think I ended up with a good deal. Lemme know if you wanna do some nitro winter bashing. They built a new bash track in Bismarck I guess. Should be fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.