Community
Wiki Posts
Search

unknown chassis

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default unknown chassis

hello, can anyone identify this chassis?
Attached Thumbnails unknown chassis-001-800x600-.jpg   unknown chassis-005-600x800-600x800-.jpg   unknown chassis-006-800x600-.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

looks like it could be an old OFNA monster pirate
Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I used to own a monster pirate and that is not one but, It does look like an OFNA platform.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Definetly a monster pirate.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

It is not a Monster Pirate.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...iw=960&bih=438
Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Look at the very first pic, the car posted and the first pic are nearly identical. Shock towers are diffrent, but other than that everything is identical.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Its Ofna based but I doubt it a monster pirate also. Ofna was famous for using parts from different vehicles to create a slightly new "version" of something so many look similar but are very different. As an example, the front knuckles from a Pirate (and the buggy its based on) look very similar to LX/Ultra buggy knuckles, mount the same way, but are in no way interchangable. Ask me how I know. The front and rear arms (upper and lower) are different from a Pirate and appear to be from an early LX/Ultra series buggy. The rear knuckles are very obviously not Pirate and are definitley from a LX buggy. The chassis is definitely not a Pirate, it has the rear center diff mount holes offset to one side which the Pirate doesn't. To be honest I don't know of any Ofna with the rear center diff mount offset like that, and the countersunk holes behind the motor are a real mystery. What went there??? But besides the chassis plate its screaming early Ofna LX/Ultra series buggy to me, and I've had a couple of those.

Last edited by Overdriven; 10-17-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

the suspension, diffs and shocktowers are all different. The A-arms are different. Its not a Monster Pirate.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Beat me to the punch Overdriven.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Its Ofna based but I doubt it a monster pirate also. Ofna was famous for using parts from different vehicles to create a slightly new "version" of something so many look similar but are very different. As an example, the front knuckles from a Pirate (and the buggy its based on) look very similar to LX/Ultra buggy knuckles, mount the same way, but are in no way interchangable. Ask me how I know. The front and rear arms (upper and lower) are different from a Pirate and appear to be from an early LX/Ultra series buggy. The rear knuckles are very obviously not Pirate and are definitley from a LX buggy. The chassis is definitely not a Pirate, it has the rear center diff mount holes offset to one side which the Pirate doesn't. To be honest I don't know of any Ofna with the rear center diff mount offset like that, and the countersunk holes behind the motor are a real mystery. What went there??? But besides the chassis plate its screaming early Ofna LX/Ultra series buggy to me, and I've had a couple of those.
You are correct. My bad.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

To the OP, if you're curious about what to do with it, use it for parts. Parts are hard to come by, I know cause I bought a parts car just to get things like the front universals when I had mine. Finding the right center diff mounts for that chassis is probably not going to be easy. That buggy was a version or 2 before the model with the Blue anodized Chassis, shock towers, braces etc. You can usually pickup a complete blue anodized roller for well under $75 shipped, just make sure the front upper arms are the same as yours. Then everything will be interchangeable and the diffs in the blue anodized cars are better and the same as the ones in the new model LX cars. The good news is they are tough, took a 35-40mph drift into a curb to break anything on mine, brushless power, barrel rolls and cartwheels never phased it.