Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
14 yr old stamped >

14 yr old stamped

14 yr old stamped

Old 10-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 14 yr old stamped

So just moved into our new house and found a box that hasn't been open in over 5yrs and in it my stamped from 98.

Question is, is it worth rebuilding it with all the new hop ups like links arms shocks esc motor wheels tires and body?

Or

Should I just look at a new monster kit to build and any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Just rebuild it. Get some bearings rpm arms and knuckles so you can run the bigger bearings. Throw a brushless kn it and have some fun.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Depends on how much you like that truck. A Stampede that old is the same as the more current xl5 (brushed motor) versions. The VXL (brushless) versions have metal transmission parts, the front and rear axle carriers also hold larger bearings, but you can still ditch the bushings for bearings without upgrading your carriers. Chassis, shocks, and just about everything else is the same as a newer Stampede.

So with some bearings and at least a metal idler gear in the trans your truck would be more up to date. Personally that's what I'd do first, then pick up a brushless motor and esc for it. If you like the truck then go nuts however you want. If not, pull out the brushless combo, save it for another vehicle and sell the pede.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Initiate

I love the truck I have beat it to death in the past. Think I paid less than 300 for a rtr kit back then.

I know jack about rc cars but want to get into it more. Just picked up a losi mini8 that is already needing help and a losi mini Baja I bought 6 or so years ago that has a blown motor.

Do I need a picture host on this forum or can I load them from my pics?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You do need to use a picture host on this forum. Well if you love the truck then it's worth upgrading it, would be cheaper than getting a new one. There's exploded views on Traxxas.com that'll help out if need be. As I said a steel idler gear from the VXL 'pede and bearings would be my first upgrades. If you're going to replace the knuckles due to being worn or to run larger bearings, it's worth getting the RPM versions. RPM arms are also a great upgrade. Super tough like everything they sell, but they give in a crash. Unlike aluminum arms which bend or break other parts. In my opinion RPM arms and aluminum knuckles and front uprights are the perfect combo.

As for your mini8, there's a great thread on here about them in the Mini section. It's getting pretty long, but it's a good read and you can search it to save time. Replacing the shock caps, rod ends and the ball cups for stronger parts is pretty much par for the course with that car though. Although boiling the stock shock parts for 10-15min makes them less prone to break too.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb

Yeah I have been over ini the mini section on here.

I'll post a pic of this disaster when I'm off work today. Motor and esc is a big must. Plus the tierods and ends are all shot
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

id say rebuild her...rpm parts all the way around and then you can run real bearings and chance out the transmission and then brushless as was mentioned id say probably a fresh body and make sure the battery tray will accommodate 3s and maybe upgrade the tx and rx system
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The old Pede is the same as the new pede Parts-wise, so I'd say rebuild it and go. RPM all around and some new electronics (and bearings/idler gear) and you should be set!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the help guys I'm looking forward to this build.

I'll get pics soon sorry using my chics iPad and I've been on pcs all my life.

It does need all new electronics so I'm looking for buest bang for the buck combos. Stupid 2wd speed

Anyone have a built stamped I can get ideas from?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

here's one i built a little while back.
MMM 2650 combo running on 6s

Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Is that 2nd pic a stamped? Next check is a lot of parts from rpm
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Rpm and get your bumpers and wheelie bar from t bone acing
Old 10-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Monday I order all my rpm parts , need servo esc and monster motor advice and where to order
Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Okay I say throw a mamba max pro esc in it and what are you looking to run on, because that will influence motor choice and what kind of tires do you want to run and for servo I would pick up a savox servo...I would recommend proline dirt hangs for your tires and I would just call up savox and tell them it's a stampede 2wd and dirt hawgs and let them recommend the servo
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Gonna be a dirt and road truck I have an amazing field behind our house with hiking/mtn bike trails.

I'll for sure get the hogs and call about the servo, just might sell the new mini8 to fund this

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.