Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need something to replace my savage 25

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default need something to replace my savage 25

use to have a nitro savage 25 and sold it. was fed up with the maintenance of a nitro. would like something bigger and electric. the only thing i have found so far is the traxxas summit. is there anything else out there that is electric that's larger than a savage and summit while at the same time is electric?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

e truggy with tekin rx8 and 6s lipo

or a brushless Losi 5ive-t
Old 10-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Maintenance of a nitro? What, put a little ARO in it? Put a new plug in it every now and again? LAZY!

Buy a Baha and............

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...rsion_kit.html
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Redcat XBE, definitely bigger at 1/5 scale. It's a buggy, but the bits from the XT to make it a truck bolt right on. CEN looks like they're making an electric version of their GST trucks. They're tough trucks and about the largest 1/8 MT out there, but it looks like they're cheaping out on the electronics with a small esc/motor combo. Compared to the Erevo, the Summit is bigger because of its taller tires which are mounted on wider offset rims. Unless you want the crawling ability of the Summit I'd go with the Erevo. Both can be lengthened a little bit with extended wheelbase arms too. I don't know how much you liked your Savage in general, but the Savage Flux (same size as 25) can be converted to XL spec or larger quite easily with kits and off the shelf parts.

Speaking of kits and off the shelf parts, converting a nitro to electric is easy these days. Also opens up more trucks, like the LST XXL.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Depends on your price range. If you aren't looking 1/5 scale, HPI Savage XL and convert it to brushless using either the HPI speedo and motor (Rebadged Mamba) or run the true Mamba Monster and 2200. I run mine on 5S. Wheelies on demand and is a tank. Just my .02.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Suspended

The most fun you will have is with an e-truggy on 6s lipo, tekin rx8 esc and truggy motor, no mamba.

Redcat is low quality. So is HPI, HPI is better than redcat, but with an e-truggy, you can get top notch quality.

Hot bodies D8T with an electric conversion if you're more on a budget, if you have more to spend, Mugen MBX6T tekno conversion or Losi 8ight-t tekno conversion.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Even if your not on a budget I would highly recommend the electric D8T....especially if you're just bashing.
.maybe a Mugen or Losi are lighter, more precise and would handle better on a track but durability wise these things are tanks. I've got a D8Te and a short chassis D8Te that I run huge monster truck tires on. I run them both almost always on 5s with repeated standing backflips, huge jumps and just plain abusive driving. They can take it. no other truggy has a 4mm thick/7075 chassis that I know of....you can convert with a tekno chassis which is 3mm(I'm sure better for racing)...but from a bashers perspective not the way to go IMO. The whole truck is low maintenance/high durability. And compared to a savage these things, and any truggy, are simple as hell to work on.
The only thing I've broken in months are the little cross pins in the cvd's...I replaced the axles with tekno ones and have had no more problems.
To date I have still not stripped a diff, broken an arm, snapped a hinge pin, etc....

I also have a Summit.. A lot of fun for trail riding type stuff. But my truggies are way more fun overall. If you want me to post some pics of the summit side by side with the D8T let me know.

Last edited by chainsaw10; 10-07-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

I want to see your cars side by side.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mongdex
I want to see your cars side by side.
say please??
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Nitro is only "high maintenance" when you're a beginner or just don't know what you're doing.. There is a learning curve - but that is what makes it a hobby, and not a toy. No high-quality hobby-level RC is going to be completely plug and play, regardless of power source.

So my advice is a Losi XXL, and ask again here if you have any questions. Nitro is not rocket science, and does not require excessive maintenance.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yep I enjoy my truggy's but when you want big and have fun, the LST-XXL is where its at.

I didn't want to go thru 3 tankfuls just to break the engine in and since I wanted torque and speed anyways, I converted it over to electric using all Losi parts.

I sold the DX3S it came with and the motor etc. is currently for sale as well to help keep costs down. If you want noticeably bigger than the Savage, the LST-XXL is the one.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Another suggestion is the ThunderTiger MT4-g3....I wouldnt call it quite as tough as my D8T but pretty close...it is a tough, fun truck.. They are RTR and the price is not too high....I paid $460 for mine over a year ago(they have since raised the price quite a bit, about $100 !!!)
Heres a video I took of mine last week..flips,double backflips, and the truck can right itself from upside down with a little practice(great for lazy asses like me)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here's the MT4 compared to the D8T

Last edited by chainsaw10; 10-08-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chopper82p
Redcat is low quality. So is HPI, HPI is better than redcat, but with an e-truggy, you can get top notch quality.
In general, I would agree RedCat is low quality. But the XBE is the best they have and is quite good even compared to other major brands. The knuckle bearings are junk and you should go over it before running like any rc. But if you want a 1/5 electric you're not going to find anything better without spending alot more. No other RedCat is worth anything, but the XBE is especially since the op wants big and electric.

E-Truggy is really fun and about the best for all around use. But as it was said, "when you want big and fun the Losi LST XXL is where it's at" and I agree. Sometimes you just can't replace a good old monster truck and the LST XXL is one of the best. Although I might be a little biased, a 1717 on 6s can do that to you
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

so how is the d8t-e i am considering building one of them
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Rookie

d8t sounds like a great choice. they look very durable too. wish they had them off the bat setup for electronic though. still doesn't seem that expensive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.