Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High and low speed needles starting point

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default High and low speed needles starting point

Hello Bashers. I am having some trouble with my MT. Can anyone tell me where I should start my High and low speed needles at. I have a cousin that calls himself a RC fixer mess with the needles and not it won't run. So I need to know where they should start at so i can retune it. Please help me I really want to run my truck and never let anyone mess with the settings again. I am running a stock Redcat Rampage MT.

Thanks for the help with this matter.
J

Last edited by poppaj56; 09-20-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: More information requested to help me.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Start with the factory stock settings. It also kinda helps if you say what you are running too.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Rookie

I am running a Redcat Rampage MT. Stock out of box.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by poppaj56
I am running a Redcat Rampage MT. Stock out of box.
Hmmm...I was just tuning a rampage for someone about 6 months ago. IIRC the setting for the high speed needle was 1.5 turns from fully closed. The low speed needle was 1.25 turns from fully closed. You might have better luck asking questions about the rampage in the "Oval, Larger scale, and more" forum
Old 09-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by poppaj56
Hello Bashers. I am having some trouble with my MT. Can anyone tell me where I should start my High and low speed needles at. I have a cousin that calls himself a RC fixer mess with the needles and not it won't run. So I need to know where they should start at so i can retune it. Please help me I really want to run my truck and never let anyone mess with the settings again. I am running a stock Redcat Rampage MT.

Thanks for the help with this matter.
J
Unfortunately, you do have to mess with the settings from time to time. The factory settings on the rampage are usually not even close to where they should be. With that engine, you're going to have to learn a bit about reading plugs and tune from there. It also takes a while to break a new engine in, and your settings are going to change a bit during that process.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default redcat MT V3 monster truck 1/5 scale

i bought this truck brand new in the box...i also added the tuned pipe on it..having trouble starting it an keeping it running...was wondering where i need to set the carb needles with the tuned pipe....still trying to brake it in as well
Old 06-19-2016, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

A buddy of mine runs one of those trucks. IIRC he had to richen it out a hair when he first got it, then richen it out even more after putting a tuned pipe on it. After break in, he did lean it out a bit on both needles. Look up videos of tuning chainsaws and other 2 stroke yard tools for a good starting point on tuning. It's essentially the closest thing you're going to get to a gasser. Tuning by plugs and sound is generally how it's done with large 2 strokers, videos are much better at describing it than words!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

Check if you can see what type of carb is on it, and try to set it on the stock needle settings.
After that, it is just trail and error, try to richen it a bit, and maybe have it idle a bit harder to keep it running at first.
You can better run a bit to rich, then to lean, to a certan point offcourse.
You could try the Gas section of the forum, there is a lot of knowledge about these engines over there.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dalentx
i bought this truck brand new in the box...i also added the tuned pipe on it..having trouble starting it an keeping it running...was wondering where i need to set the carb needles with the tuned pipe....still trying to brake it in as well
Usually the setting for those are set at manufacturers. Two stroke usually equipped with choke and primer bulbs these two if not primed or not choke you will have a hard time starting them. Also if the mixture of oil to gas ratio is not obtain same problem arise. If the setting has been altered try to start at the reg. Setting of 1/4 turn on low and 1 1/2 turn on high. Start from there but make sure use the choke and primer to start.