Wiki Posts
Search

savage x 4.6 2spd vs 3spd?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default savage x 4.6 2spd vs 3spd?

i am basicaly building a brand new 2011 savage x 4.6 and was wondering what everyone preffers in there savage x? i have a 2 speed right now, but was wondering if the 3 speed helps more and what are the pros and cons?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i am putting an all steel geared 3 speed from a xl in my 25 tuesday i'll let you know.it has a lower first so you can put a higher toothed clutchbell in if wanted.make sure you spend the couple xtra $$$ to get the steel first gear+ the easy access one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 09-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Who are u going through to get the all steel tranny? Robinson racing?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

I switched to a 2 speed after I exploded my 3 speed in the XL after 10 gallons or so, I like the 2 speed just fine.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

The 2 speed does well. Mine seems to shift too early. I must of turned it up about a full turn and it still pretty early. Should i keep adjusting it?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shizcol
The 2 speed does well. Mine seems to shift too early. I must of turned it up about a full turn and it still pretty early. Should i keep adjusting it?
Is it a brand new tranny? If not pick up a new clutch for the tranny or try finding a spring that will fit in there.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have the 3 speed on mine with a Picco P3 .28... You have to have a pretty good stretch to get full open and at the high speeds it doesn't handle well. I honestly think that full speed in second is plenty enough speed. It's faster than my maxx with the picco .26 in second gear.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

iv'e read if you replace the 44t 1st gear with a steel one it will last.i picked up a3speed trans on ebay and replaced the plastic first with steel for $22.if you want a late shift keep turning the screws in a half turn at a time evenly then once it won't shift at all come back evenly 1/4 turn at a time till it shifts.thats the latest possible shifts possible.thats how i do it anyway.i have a tree speed in a Genesis and at the school it plain out flys,,,,,,its not a high revving .46 engine.its huge lowend torque+midrange so it does not overrev but with the third gear it gets to top speed very quickly for the heaviest 1/8 made.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

I have alot of land here so distance isnt a problem. I just didnt know if the 3 spd was faster or not.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

I have alot of land here so distance isnt a problem. I just didnt know if the 3 spd was faster or not.
The 3-speed gives you more top end and more acceleration.

So yes.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

Ok thanks. As for acceleration i feel my 2 speed is pretty quick off the line. But i feel like it may be giving out soon. Sometimes i will be flying through my yard and the truck will just rev right up like it hit neutral and if i let off the throttle and let t come to an idle then punch it, it will take back off again no problem. Anyone familiar with this?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok thanks. As for acceleration i feel my 2 speed is pretty quick off the line. But i feel like it may be giving out soon. Sometimes i will be flying through my yard and the truck will just rev right up like it hit neutral and if i let off the throttle and let t come to an idle then punch it, it will take back off again no problem. Anyone familiar with this?
Sort of, I have a new 4.6 limited edition savage that ive only put around 2 litres through and it would run like a demon then if i stopped it was like it wasnt in any gear, if i stopped it running and started again it would run a bit and do the same thing, till it stopped like it locked up. The three screws in the second gear worked loose and into the transmission , metal shavings everywhere and three mangled screws imbedded in the metal gears.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds like you lost the one-way for the 1st gear, or you are losing it. The 1st gear always drives the shaft until the clutch engages for the 2nd gear, when that happens the 2nd gear spins the shaft and then the shaft is spinning faster than the 1st gear is (hence the need for a one-way bearing).

when you are revving it up it might be revving to engage 2nd gear then it takes off.

Or you broke a bearing in the tranny and the gears are moving in and out of mesh.

either way open up your tranny and try and find the problem before you blow it to pieces.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah thanks i will look into it. Not a big loss tho new trannys go for 30 bucks on ebay.