Wiki Posts
Search

steering issue!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default steering issue!!!!

ok, i have a 3.3 t maxx. i just put a savox sc-o251 metal gear 222 oz-in torque steering servo in about a month ago. i haven't drove the truck but a few times since i put that servo in. everything is great, except today i was at the track and it started pulling to the right by itself. then it would straighten up, then pull the other way, then straight again and so on. i got the setting to 0 in the controller which is a traxxas 2.4ghz. the wheels turn fine both ways, no noises, or strain. it will just turn to the right or left on its own, then back straight again. this makes it very hard to drive!! any ideas?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Old style servo saver?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snipersnightmar
Old style servo saver?
nope, not using a servo saver. its weird, if i turn the wheels to the left with the controller, the wheels point left. then if i turn to the left again with the controller, the wheels go back to straight. it mostly does it to the left, but sometimes to the right.

like i said above, the servo sounds fine, and works like it should, but its like sticking to one side then once i turn the wheels to that side, it goes straight again. but not for long, and it goes to one side again. i hope i dont have to buy a new servo!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

ok, i just noticed something. if i turn the wheels right, then let go of the wheel on the controller, the wheels will point to the left until i turn to the left, then the wheels will point straight. if i turn the wheels to the left, the wheels point right until i turn them to the right, then they point straight???
Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Sounds as if your servo arm is slipping on the output splines of the servo
Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nitro Basher
Sounds as if your servo arm is slipping on the output splines of the servo
yea maybe? i will take off the servo arm off the servo and check. the servo spline is metal, but the servo arm has a plastic adapter that goes on the arm to the servo. maybe it stripped?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

ok, so i took off the servo arm and the blue plastic adapter and it was pretty much rounded off! so yes, it was stripped. luckily i had another adapter to use. this one is white and fit real tight on the servo horn and in the servo arm. probably from not using a servo saver,lol. i mean you figure a 13-14lb monster truck with huge wheels and it lands on one of the front wheels all that weight and force is transferred to the servo. or just hitting the plastic tubing on the track.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Also check your steering EPA,s to make sure that the servo is stopping before the steering gets to full travel. But running without a servo saver is asking for trouble.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nitro Basher
Also check your steering EPA,s to make sure that the servo is stopping before the steering gets to full travel. But running without a servo saver is asking for trouble.
well i got the traxxas 2.4ghz rx/tx so no epa i dont believe. but yea i have the white plastic servo saver in my parts box, just didnt put it on. i stripped out 2 traxxas 2075 waterproof servo's by not running a servo saver
Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

ok, i just put the white servo saver on. the only reason i never put it on was because i have a blue aluminum servo arm on,lol. but i would rather lose a little bling to help keep my servo from breaking or stripping.