R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (http://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   Losi XXL - New Guy!!! (http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/637401-losi-xxl-new-guy.html)

JQuite 06-21-2012 11:24 PM

I already don't like the way it sits tho.. It's a damn monster truck why the hell does it sit like a car.. I hope the rcraven springs make it ride higher!!!

ntrain42 06-24-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQuite (Post 10865450)
Also, a question.

Does the XXL wheelie easily? Or not so much due to the size? I couldn't really find a lot of information about it? I'd like it to be able to if I want it to, but I don't want it to be all that it does like every time I try to do anything it stands straight up... Just like an on command type of thing I guess. How do I accomplish this?

Depends on the gearing, springs, slipper clutch, diff fluid......if you want it to wheelie instantly though with the stock 454 it can be made to do so with easy.

ntrain42 06-24-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQuite (Post 10889836)
I already don't like the way it sits tho.. It's a damn monster truck why the hell does it sit like a car.. I hope the rcraven springs make it ride higher!!!

The XXL's geometry basically makes it a large scale truggy, its extremely stable and has a LCG. And thats actually a good thing.

The RC Raven springs are pretty worthless. If you want it to sit up higher invest in the yellow/black spring combo.........

ntrain42 06-24-2012 09:50 AM

Time to introduce you to my LST XXL thread. ;) http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...r-build-6.html

Herrsavage 06-24-2012 11:23 AM

The Ravens will make it sit up higher.. The yellows won't - they're considerably shorter than the Ravens. With the Ravens you can take all preload out and it'll still stand tall. With the yellows you need preload for the springs to even reach top to bottom.. The Ravens are great for jumping. Some people have complained about them being too stiff when new, but over time they soften up a bit. They will definitely make the truck sit up though, more than any others.. And for jumping there are none better. And again, not only are they good for the way they perform, but IMHO they also protect your shocks overall. Again, have never bent, busted, broken or otherwise messed up a shock on my basher in 5+ years. And I never really babied it.

ntrain42 06-24-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herrsavage (Post 10897807)
The Ravens will make it sit up higher.. The yellows won't - they're considerably shorter than the Ravens. With the Ravens you can take all preload out and it'll still stand tall. With the yellows you need preload for the springs to even reach top to bottom.. The Ravens are great for jumping. Some people have complained about them being too stiff when new, but over time they soften up a bit. They will definitely make the truck sit up though, more than any others.. And for jumping there are none better. And again, not only are they good for the way they perform, but IMHO they also protect your shocks overall. Again, have never bent, busted, broken or otherwise messed up a shock on my basher in 5+ years. And I never really babied it.

The shock body/spring preload spacers do not "preload" until the slack is taken out. It doesn't matter the length of the springs in reality on the LST. Also "progressive spings" on the LST make for erratic handling, the shock body valving is not dual stage/progressive so having a spring like the RC raven spring means getting it dialed in is near impossible. You can either dial it in for the soft portion of the spring, or the hard compressed portion but not both. I tried these springs out, they just aren't as good as whats already offered by Losi. For typical backyard bashing or competitive racing.

If you need something stiffer for insane jumping, than look at the New Era silver springs, for those who just want to cliff jump or get extreme air they are the best and stiffist out there and work perfectly with 100 wt. shock fluid.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...y/DSC03495.jpg

Herrsavage 06-24-2012 12:46 PM

OP, trust me.. 35wt oil and RC Raven springs.. Nobody runs 100 wt oil.

ntrain42 06-24-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herrsavage (Post 10898027)
OP, trust me.. 35wt oil and RC Raven springs.. Nobody runs 100 wt oil.

Um, have you used NE silver springs? Obviously not. RC Raven springs are unimpressive, and the spring to spring tolerances are poor. A progressive(read dual rate) spring on a single stage fluid valve shock body ='s pointless. The valve/fluid in the shock body is meant to control the rate of expansion/compression of the spring. You can either tune it for the soft section, or the stiff compressed section, but not both. So you will either get excessive wheel bounce with uncontrolable rebound or over damping and excessive bottoming.

Cummins Driver 06-24-2012 02:01 PM

Personally I have the stock springs on my LST and LST2 and so far I like the stockers great for what I do. You can spin the collars down and raise the truck for wheelies and offroad, or you can spin the collars up and sit the truck on the ground for on road running or better handling.

JQuite 06-24-2012 11:14 PM

Gentlemen! Relax! It's not that serious!! I was just sitting here looking at it.. Springs in hand.. I don't even know how to get the old springs off (rolls eyes) Anyone toss me a hint?

JQuite 06-24-2012 11:50 PM

Haha.. nevermind it took me about 30 seconds after I posted that to figure it out.. I'm just still a little scared to force things around if you know what i mean...

JQuite 06-26-2012 10:05 PM

My speed telemetry went out already :-/ Any clue how to fix it?

ntrain42 06-27-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQuite (Post 10908894)
My speed telemetry went out already :-/ Any clue how to fix it?

Most liekly the lil silver sticker came off of the front central drive shaft. Best fix is to modify the engine pickup to fit off the 454's flywheel. The big problem though are the "signal pick up" stickers dont stay on. Personally Id ditch the rpm gauge. The temp and battery gauges are the ones that are really worth it. I only use the rpm telemetry for gearing and final tweaking of the tune.

JQuite 06-27-2012 10:01 PM

I've run into yet another problem.. I've came to my own humble opinionated conclusion that the stock receiver battery pack sucks... Any suggested upgrades?

Herrsavage 06-27-2012 10:26 PM

Any 1600 or higher nimh stick pack will work..

You can also use a hump pack zip-tied in front of the front shock tower.. Will further limit wheelies though.. I do it that way though cuz I'm lazy.. I have LST2's too, which are shorter and wheelie easier anyway..

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/v...2/DSC02773.jpg


All times are GMT -8. It is currently 02:56 PM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.7.6
Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net


SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0