Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Drivetrain ideas for a custom tube chassis? >

Drivetrain ideas for a custom tube chassis?

Drivetrain ideas for a custom tube chassis?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Drivetrain ideas for a custom tube chassis?

I'm looking for help on picking a drivetrain (mostly motor and transmission) for this custom tube chassis:

The springs and shocks that are on it in this picture have been removed and I already have a suspension set up that I think I'm going to run.

The whole thing is somewhere between a 1/8 and a 1/6 scale sized truck. It's going to be 2wd and an independent suspension front and rear. What I'm hoping you guys could help with is choosing a motor (thinking brushless) that would work well with this thing. I don't need the motor to be super powerful because I'm not trying to have this thing do more than 25 mph. With that in mind I'm trying to find a motor and a transmission combo (and maybe an esc if you have ideas) that would work well.
The whole chassis weighs about 10 lbs (ya it's heavy as s***) but the reason I don't need it to go very fast is because it's just supposed to be a model of an SAE baja car that I built at school (long story behind that one).

So long story short what would a good electric motor and transmission for a 9-10 lb chassis to get it up to 20-25 mph?

Hoping to keep it somewhat inexpensive, but I realize certain things can be pricy at times.

thanks for the help!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Couldn't put in a picture of the frame i guess....