Wiki Posts
Search

Back into R/C What to build?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Back into R/C What to build?

Hello, I used to dabble in R/C a few years ago. I had a Savage truck that I mostly played around with and occasionally raced. I never did well at racing but it was because I suck at driving.....heh. I know if I were to consider racing I should not consider another savage but that truck was so much dang fun! I beat the CRAP out of it and it kept coming back asking for more. I had a few other nitro cars/trucks along the way so I am kinda sorta familiar.

My dilemma: I am looking to get back in. I am pretty sure I want a monster truck and I really like the videos/reviews I am reading about the savage 4.6. My problems are that If I go with a truck I would prefer a kit over a RTR, simply because I want to beef it up. Or is the RTR sufficiently beefy for the average weekend warrior? I won't be crushing buicks or anything just regular rough housing, hill climbing and average terrorizing the streets.

Is the RTR electronics package snappy enough for what I want to do? I remember I upgraded the steering servo because I was mainly racing before and needed that quick response.

There is a slim possibility that I would race it, maybe a few times a year. I really enjoyed the fellowship with racers and sick enough, I enjoyed turn marshaling. Good exercise! (Oh, I am almost 50 so every little bit counts!)

What are some other options? I wouldn't mind a "custom" truck that can be raced or played with. I enjoy building but not a fabricator so I am thinking a kit would be best for me.

I will not say that money is not a concern but I will be able to afford a decent ride and accessories.

Enough rambling. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ron
Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

First question I will ask is: Is nitro the only way you want to go, or is electric an option?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Get a Losi 8T 2.0 kit. Fun to build, virtually indestructible, a great basher, a great racer, hands down all around super truck! There's always a truggy class at the track, not so much with monster truck. Add some Savox, JR, or Hitech servos and stick either a nitro or brushless/lipo kit in there and it will rip any terrain. Hop-ups and parts support is abundant and affordable. Spektrum transmitters and receivers might be new since you last drove, you'll need them. Just don't take your nice offroad tires on asphalt, they'll get smoked!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just go with the Savage X 4.6 RTR. Great truck, and you can just upgrade as needed. I have the older Savage .25 and havent upgraded much of anything except to a bigger engine and a BP rear differential. Its taken a beating and always comes back for more. Best truck I have owned, bar none.

Truggies are fun, and the best for racing for sure, but for bashing, the Savage is the best IMO.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by blazerss
First question I will ask is: Is nitro the only way you want to go, or is electric an option?
I dont have anything against electric as I have a few myself, but if someone knows they want a nitro, why ask them about electric?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Well sorry cummins driver. I didn't know the guy wanted nitro and only nitro, I didn't read that. He said it has been a few years since he was in it, so I wanted to see if he knew about all the new electric stuff. A few years ago I wouldn't have even considered electric, and now its all I have just about it.

I just wont ask any more questions, and I will let you handle helping this guy out. Seems like you have all the answers.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Tech Champion

Electric.. Pfff....
Old 04-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1/8 truggy with some big tires!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by blazerss
Well sorry cummins driver. I didn't know the guy wanted nitro and only nitro, I didn't read that. He said it has been a few years since he was in it, so I wanted to see if he knew about all the new electric stuff. A few years ago I wouldn't have even considered electric, and now its all I have just about it.

I just wont ask any more questions, and I will let you handle helping this guy out. Seems like you have all the answers.
Sorry, not trying to come across in a hateful manner, and no offense was intended. I was probably a little out of line with that post though, and I appologize.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If your comfy with the savage you can get a RTR then tear it down. I did this 2 years ago. I went for a stock XL and sold the engine,servos,radio, axles,body, tires. I put the hpi racing suspension kit, good servos,dynamite big red engine, milled shock tower with rc8 shocks, d8 fuel tank and foward mounted it. Took 2 months to build. I raced the crap out of that thing and was only 1 sec slower than a truggy

Last edited by tonydig11; 04-29-2012 at 06:43 PM.