Community
Wiki Posts
Search

slipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default slipping

I have a revo 3.3 that was slipping really bad so I changed the shoes to aluminum. When I put it all back together the same thing was happening. Now it will not start..when I put it on the starter box the flywheel turns really really and the tires spin just as fast as the flywheel is turning like there is no resistance coming from the piston/rings. But when I move the piston with my finger I can feel tdc and so on. Does this happen when you put your shoes on backwards? That's the only thing I can think of that would be causing this. when I replaced the shoes they didn't look that beat up but that was the first time ever seeing them, the spring was intact etc..hopefully they are just in backwards. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

check the shoes, spring and bearings in the clutch. One or more are bad and causing the clutch to hang.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

the slipper clutch is to loose. tighten it down all the way. then loosen it 1/4 turn and try it. if that doesnt work it may need to be replaced.
good luck
Old 04-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

I unfortunately am a amateur and I'm not sure what all the parts are...slipper clutch? When you say tighten it all the way down I assume you are talking about the nut that is on the shaft assembly that the flywheel is on. When I upgraded the shoes to aluminum do they still require a spring? I bought the flywheel/shoe combo because the new flywheel uses 3 shoes and needs the 3 post flywheel. However it didn't come with any springs or directions sorry for the newbie stuff but this is my second car, the first one was a rc10gt and I never had any problems with it other than broke pull cords and breaking body/suspension parts. Then I seized the engine and sold it..
Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jaymz77
I unfortunately am a amateur and I'm not sure what all the parts are...slipper clutch? When you say tighten it all the way down I assume you are talking about the nut that is on the shaft assembly that the flywheel is on. When I upgraded the shoes to aluminum do they still require a spring? I bought the flywheel/shoe combo because the new flywheel uses 3 shoes and needs the 3 post flywheel. However it didn't come with any springs or directions sorry for the newbie stuff but this is my second car, the first one was a rc10gt and I never had any problems with it other than broke pull cords and breaking body/suspension parts. Then I seized the engine and sold it..
Each shoe needs a spring. Don't know what brand of clutch you have, but here is the ST Concepts Revo 3 shoe.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext
Old 04-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Well that make slot of sense..I didn't receive any springs at all in my kit and I never changedshoes so I didn't know any better..the kit should have included springs right?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i bought an integy 3 shoe aluminum clutch and when it showed up i learned that it uses the same traxxas 1 spring around all the shoes. bummer since it's the spring i don't like. maybe you got the same one.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ohiofordfan
i bought an integy 3 shoe aluminum clutch and when it showed up i learned that it uses the same traxxas 1 spring around all the shoes. bummer since it's the spring i don't like. maybe you got the same one.
Yep just checked it out and that's what I got..sucks cause I ordered 3 extra sets of replacement shoes..my stock spring was ok so I guess I will try that. Does it perform well?

Edit... So back to my original post is that why the car is acting like that our could it be different problems?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

did you have your spring installed on the shoes? if not then yea thats the problem. it does perform better i just hope the spring holds up longer than it did.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah no spring..gonna take some time tomorrow to put it on..I have to put on a new motor mount anyway...
Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jaymz77
I have a revo 3.3 that was slipping really bad so I changed the shoes to aluminum. When I put it all back together the same thing was happening. Now it will not start..when I put it on the starter box the flywheel turns really really and the tires spin just as fast as the flywheel is turning like there is no resistance coming from the piston/rings. But when I move the piston with my finger I can feel tdc and so on. Does this happen when you put your shoes on backwards? That's the only thing I can think of that would be causing this. when I replaced the shoes they didn't look that beat up but that was the first time ever seeing them, the spring was intact etc..hopefully they are just in backwards. Thanks in advance.
I'm not familiar the revo, but you mentioned that you replaced the flywheel, correct? Did it by chance come with a different size collet than the stock one?

Last edited by FLDan; 04-22-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Bad news...I took it apart and put the spring on the shoes..verified that I had the shoes in the right direction..put my new motor mount on while I was in there..threw everything back together and nothing...I put the car on the starter box and again the flywheel spins too fast with no resistance coming from the piston.I did replace the flywheel and collet..I didn't match the old collet up with the new one to see if there is a size difference but I did buy the flywheel that matched my engine, so unless they sent the wrong one it should be ok. Getting frustrated, I built my ATV engine from scratch and I can't figure out this problem :/
Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You say the flywheel is turning to fast but didn't mention if the engine is turning over. Is it?

Sounds like you have a couple of problems.
I'm thinking your collet is loose.
Loose flywheel nut.
And a broken or no clutch spring.

I raced a revo back in MT days. Practically the whole truck was upgraded but the clutch. Flywheel was larger for the starter box but the clutch was stock.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Franchise
You say the flywheel is turning to fast but didn't mention if the engine is turning over. Is it?

Sounds like you have a couple of problems.
I'm thinking your collet is loose.
Loose flywheel nut.
And a broken or no clutch spring.

I raced a revo back in MT days. Practically the whole truck was upgraded but the clutch. Flywheel was larger for the starter box but the clutch was stock.
No...the engine not turning over=/

PMed you
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hello, just a couple of questions...
Didn't you say that the engine would not start?
And now the engine is not turning over but the flywheel is spinning?
Did you re-install the tapered sleeve when you tightened down the flywheel?
Okay...that was three.
I was just a little confused.
Later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.