Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Is this a NON insulated carb problem? >

Is this a NON insulated carb problem?

Is this a NON insulated carb problem?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Herr- Why do you get so defensive when someone has an issue with fuel boiling? Im here to tell you it is a REAL problem on some engines wether you want to believe it or not. The thing is though, no one was in here slamming SH and saying not to buy them or that they were junk. You are a fan of their engines and thats fine, but the fuel boiling can be an issue with them. You need to quit getting personal about it.

At this point, i may take one of my SH engines and tune it and run it until the fuel boils with a stock carb. Then swap carbs and show that it never happens. On video...

My thunder tiger engines dont have boiling issues and they dont have insulated carbs either. My SH engines have basically all had the problem in warmer weather though. Something to do with their design. When its cold out, the issue never shows up....

KawasakiRider- If your fuel is boiling away from the nipple on the carburetor, then you have a fuel boiling issue as you know. Dont worry about the guys that dont think its possible, just put an insulated carb on and enjoy that engine.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
Herr- Why do you get so defensive when someone has an issue with fuel boiling? Im here to tell you it is a REAL problem on some engines wether you want to believe it or not. The thing is though, no one was in here slamming SH and saying not to buy them or that they were junk. You are a fan of their engines and thats fine, but the fuel boiling can be an issue with them. You need to quit getting personal about it.

At this point, i may take one of my SH engines and tune it and run it until the fuel boils with a stock carb. Then swap carbs and show that it never happens. On video...

My thunder tiger engines dont have boiling issues and they dont have insulated carbs either. My SH engines have basically all had the problem in warmer weather though. Something to do with their design. When its cold out, the issue never shows up....

KawasakiRider- If your fuel is boiling away from the nipple on the carburetor, then you have a fuel boiling issue as you know. Dont worry about the guys that dont think its possible, just put an insulated carb on and enjoy that engine.
Thanks man, I think I'll try a force carb if I can get a cheap one. It's do frustrating when I am basically being called a liar...

HerrSavage and got nitro, would you guys be more inclined to believe me if I made a video? I'm not going to the trouble of wasting fuel and time to make a video unless you agree to watch it with an open mind.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

The video probably wouldnt change their mind. They would tell you its a tuning issue or something totally irrelevant to fuel boiling.

However, if I make one with the SH carb, then swap carbs, there may not be much of an argument....

It really doesent matter either way though. I know what you are going through and others will too. Those that want to argue about it obviously dont care about helping you fix the issue, so id say just dont worry about them.

Last edited by Cummins Driver; 04-02-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kawasakirider
Thanks man, I think I'll try a force carb if I can get a cheap one. It's do frustrating when I am basically being called a liar...

HerrSavage and got nitro, would you guys be more inclined to believe me if I made a video? I'm not going to the trouble of wasting fuel and time to make a video unless you agree to watch it with an open mind.
I would have to think you have a lean bogg. The lean bogg occurs after a half of tank and that when you run into your problem. What you can do is richen the high speed needdle till it goes away. Grab a bunch of fuel tupping for the pressure line and wrap like two loops on top the engine on the gas tank. and you can also grab a filter pressure too it will help keep. the pressure in the tank when it less than half full. Good luck to you if that not the problem cause i have never seen the fuel boil before it hit the carb yet.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the fuel is being pushed back into the fuel line by the gas pressure inside the carb....When the fuel boiled in the carb it creates pressure......
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

My 454 seemed to like to run between 180F-240. Anything much above 250 and it would act like a lean queen..high idle, lean bog, loss of power, flame out at wot..ect...no good for an engine to run like that. You almost have to tune for temps with it..which meant running pig rich in my case. Now I've been on forums where guys were talking about getting them up to260- 270+ with no problems..certainly wasn't the case for me though. Personally, I did have better luck with the LRP's..they liked to be run rich as well, but seemed to hold a tune better than the 454...and I would attribute that to the LRP carb. The 454, LRP.28 and LRP.30 were all fun engines..they just flat sucked fuel and had to be run on the cooler side. Just my experience..
Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Last edited by Herrsavage; 04-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Double post
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by imrob
I would have to think you have a lean bogg. The lean bogg occurs after a half of tank and that when you run into your problem. What you can do is richen the high speed needdle till it goes away. Grab a bunch of fuel tupping for the pressure line and wrap like two loops on top the engine on the gas tank. and you can also grab a filter pressure too it will help keep. the pressure in the tank when it less than half full. Good luck to you if that not the problem cause i have never seen the fuel boil before it hit the carb yet.

Are you a troll? I said that this will occur when the tank is full and the engine is turned OFF as long as the carb is hot. I can't get the fuel to go into the carb.

Eh, whatever.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The video probably wouldnt change their mind. They would tell you its a tuning issue or something totally irrelevant to fuel boiling. Those that want to argue about it obviously dont care about helping you fix the issue, so id say just dont worry about them.
Who are you to say a video wouldnt change my mind I'd like to see a vid of this happening, it would be my first time seeing such. I see lots of different engines running in different classes all spring/summer/fall long, never seen this happening....

You know what killed this "fuel boiling" for me is, I was reading a thread where the guy said his fuel was boiling with a composite plastic carb (traxxsucks 3.3 as a matter of fact) What I would also love to see is the temp of the engine when it does this, not just the fuel not wanting to go in the carb.

You don't have to worry about me either with that last statement, I don't come on here to post up random crap, I have no personal gain either way. You can think what you want....
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by got_nitro
Who are you to say a video wouldnt change my mind I'd like to see a vid of this happening, it would be my first time seeing such. I see lots of different engines running in different classes all spring/summer/fall long, never seen this happening....

You know what killed this "fuel boiling" for me is, I was reading a thread where the guy said his fuel was boiling with a composite plastic carb (traxxsucks 3.3 as a matter of fact) What I would also love to see is the temp of the engine when it does this, not just the fuel not wanting to go in the carb.

You don't have to worry about me either with that last statement, I don't come on here to post up random crap, I have no personal gain either way. You can think what you want....

If I get time today, I'll try to make a vid and post it. It's hard because I am a student and I live in a share house with a tiny backyard and I only have an iPhone to film with (the quality is fine, but driving and filming is very hard)....

Please link me to the thread where this TRX 3.3 was doing it?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

You already stated you didnt believe this was a valid issue. Maybe if you dont want to come across like that you shouldnt be so quick to point fingers at the person's tuning, etc...

You have to realize that some people know what they are talking about, some dont. I dont know how much experience the guy with the traxxas engine has, but they shouldnt boil the fuel being a composite carb. That might be a case where someone was new to nitro and just guessing at the issue.

I have posted about my fuel boiling issues on my SH engines before and I get hounded by the SH fanboy's, saying its a non issue, etc... Thats fine, I dont care if people believe me or not. I know its a real issue with some engines without insulated carbs, so when people jump into a thread and start telling a guy he isnt having an issue with boiling fuel (even though the engine wont even take prime), then I have to laugh. The symptoms are pretty easy to tell.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You already stated you didnt believe this was a valid issue. Maybe if you dont want to come across like that you shouldnt be so quick to point fingers at the person's tuning, etc...
I don't know what thread you are reading but not once did "I" question his tune or abilities to tune... Whatever man....
Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't know what thread you are reading but not once did "I" question his tune or abilities to tune... Whatever man....

I was reading this exact thread. Allow me to quote:

I'm not a believer in a non-insulated carb being a problem either, never was.. This seems to be the latest gateway to place the blame when it's a simple tuning problem. The problem guys think is the carb gets so hot that it boils fuel.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

You have to realize that some people know what they are talking about, some dont. I dont know how much experience the guy with the traxxas engine has, but they shouldnt boil the fuel being a composite carb. That might be a case where someone was new to nitro and just guessing at the issue.

I have posted about my fuel boiling issues on my SH engines before and I get hounded by the SH fanboy's, saying its a non issue, etc... Thats fine, I dont care if people believe me or not. I know its a real issue with some engines without insulated carbs, so when people jump into a thread and start telling a guy he isnt having an issue with boiling fuel (even though the engine wont even take prime), then I have to laugh. The symptoms are pretty easy to tell.

That is EXACTLY right man, thank you! It can't be a tuning problem if the engine is not even running but won't take fuel....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.