Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless MT Options..

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Default Brushless MT Options..

Only thinking out loud, but would like to learn a bit about what my options would be.. I have ZERO clue about brushless and lipos..

Basically, I was in the park today, and saw a guy with a brushless RC again.. I could just walk over there in winter or whenever, even drive it from the front door, unlike all my nitro stuff(I still love nitro, but it does require more effort to get to the point of actually running them..)

The obvious NEW RC would be a TT MT4 G3 - or the new more truggy-like version coming out, which also looks good. But I don't even have a lipo charger, so truck + lipos + charger would cost at least €650-700 to get started. Not prepared to do that just now.

I had been thinking about maybe a Savage XS Flux, but then seeing what they cost I was just like, get a big one..

But my next thought was, why not convert one of my LST2's? I have two, which is one too many honestly.. Plus a ton of parts. So, my first question is, could somebody give me two lists of what I need and what I need to do? I.e. list 1, parts and things I need to buy, and list 2, what do I need to do step by step to convert? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

OK, found this link:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...ld-thread.html

What would this list of stuff cost roughly?:

Conversion parts:
-Castle Mamba Monster ESC
-Castle 1717 1580kv Motor
-RC Monster 24T Pinion
-RC Monster Battery Tray
-The Dude Racing Motor Mount
-Losi Single Speed Hub w/ 63T Spur
-Traxxas MERV RX Box
-Zippy 6S 40C 5000mah LiPo's
-Hyperion 0730i NET3 Charger (30a/550w)

I'm guessing about as much as a new MT4 G3......
Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Herrsavage

Just that right there is about the cost of an MT4 G3. With the right coupon you can get one for like $470.

But the LST2 looks like an awesome idea too, especially if you have a ton of spares. Either way you'll need to spend money on batteries and a charger.

EDIT: You don't have to go Castle to get good electronics. You can spend $100 on a Hobbywing 150A ESC and $100 on a Tenshock motor and you will have a seriously ass kicking brushless setup for half the cost of a Castle setup.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, after doing some searching, it seems like converting an LST2 would just cost as much or more than a whole new MT4 G3...(the latter costs €450 here..) I found some links with cheaper options, but I really have no clue about this stuff..

What would two sets of batteries cost? Say, 5S something or other? From videos I've seen the 6S looks really mental, and 4S not so crazy.. So I figured 5 would be a nice place to start.. No clue though..
Old 02-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've just gotten one of these working:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html

Probably one of the cheapest 5s batteries that actually fits in a barely modified MT4 chassis. Here's some testing video:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I learned that you have to set the ESC's Low Voltage Cutoff to 2.6v/cell to stay safe. 2.8 didn't work, it cut in too soon.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
OK, found this link:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...ld-thread.html

What would this list of stuff cost roughly?:

Conversion parts:
-RC Monster 24T Pinion
-RC Monster Battery Tray
-The Dude Racing Motor Mount
-Losi Single Speed Hub w/ 63T Spur
-Traxxas MERV RX Box
-Zippy 6S 40C 5000mah LiPo's
-Hyperion 0730i NET3 Charger (30a/550w)

I'm guessing about as much as a new MT4 G3......
I use the mamba monster 2200kv system and it works fine. I run a RC-monster 22t pinion, and The Dudes motor mount and single speed hub. Then I mounted the speed control on a piece of acrylic with a traxxas mount. I use a RC monster battery tray with a turnigy 5S lipo, and Thunder 610 from hobbypartz. I mounted a Traxxas radio box mounted on a piece of acrylic. Plus you should use hpi Z260 2.5x12mm pins.
I spent around $800 i believe, i can't remember exactly because it was almost 2 years ago.
I love my brushless lst, its a blast.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just buy the losi kit for your LST2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-LOSB001...item3f1417279a

It has everything you need besides the electronics to convert your LST2. You dont need a castle 1717. A regular MMM/2200kv combo would be more than enough. Hobbywing makes some pretty good stuff too if you are wanting to go cheaper.

Basically, this way you could be into it for about $300 probably, plus the batteries and charger which you should be able to have for $160 or so.

Id say $460 will get you the conversion kit, electronics, and 4 batteries and a charger.

What I would do on the batteries if I were you. Buy two 2s packs, and two 3s packs. All matching except for the voltage.

This way, you can run a 3s and a 2s for 5s total, or you can run both 3s batteries together for a 6s setup, or you can run both 2s batteries for a 4s setup.

I have a brushless MGT, but its torn apart and the electronics are going into a truggy (if it ever comes ...). I got tired of the constant wheelies and flipping from it getting so bent out of shape when i tried to go full throttle. I think the center diff and low COG of the truggy will make a big difference. I am building the motor mount myself and paid $110 for the roller, so with materials for the mount, roller, and battery tray I should be into a complete brushless truggy roller for $140 or so. Anxious to compare its handling to the MT. 4s is pretty darned fast. Definately hard to control in my MGT, but a truggy type truck like the MT4 may make it feel a lot more tame.

Last edited by Cummins Driver; 02-26-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, I'm thinking about lightening up the fluid in my center diff in the MT4 (which is basically a truggy) -- currently I have 100k in there and it's way too flippy and wheelie-ie.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

That all sounds too expensive and involved to convert. So if I ever do get anything brushless, I think maybe the new ST4 from TT might be more sensible. Something cheap, RTR, and solid. Or maybe the MT4 G3, since I would be getting it for messing around at the park.. Definitely don't want to spend more than the price of the MT4 G3 converting an LST2..
Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

You're going to have to change your filthy signature.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 AM
Tech Champion

It's true - I don't like electric - for a whole variety of reasons. But being able to just walk over to the park and goof around with it like a toy undeniably has certain disadvantages. Electric though for me will never be as thrilling as nitro.

And it still seems prohibitively expensive. Even with a new MT4 G3 I'd be looking at €600 minimum just to get started..., and even then with only one set of batteries.. And meanwhile I have five 1/8 nitro RC's to take care of..

Nevertheless, I appreciate the input. Maybe next winter..

If only the Mini Revo weren't so flimsy.....
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you dont mind something a little smaller, this thing is as good as it gets. Ofna hyper 10tt:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAGUJ&P=ML

All steel driveline, 1/8 truggy layout, 4wd, 3 fluid tuneable diff's, etc...

You can get the truck for $190 plus discounts. Then the motor, esc, and a decent servo will run you probably $100-140. You only need 1 battery to run it at a time, so 2 batteries will keep you going for an hour. On a 3s lipo this thing would be insane fast....

So cost:

truck- $190
esc/motor/servo- $140 roughly
Batteries- $60
Charger- $40

Total- $430 at the most. Could be under $400 depending on electronics. I was going to buy one of these little trucks for a 1/10 basher, but decided to stick with my Associated T4 since i already have it and its going to be faster on a 2s lipo anyways because of the weight difference.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

The Savage flux XS could also be a contender....

Last edited by Cummins Driver; 02-27-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

That probably is a better size for what I would be looking to do. I had the 1/12 Hyper ST though, and though it was fun at times, the main issue was part availability.. (It also wasn't that tough, but the 1/10 probably is tougher..)

So yeah, 1/10 is probably better.. Or just a good deal on a Savage XS...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think most of the hyper 10tt parts are the same as the scrt 10 which is pretty popular right now, so most parts should be easy to get. Someone would have to confirm that though.

The flux XS is a pretty good deal with some discounts too though.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I really think the LST2 conversion, since you already own one, is a decent option.

$80-$100 USD for a conversion kit.

$200 USD for a Hobbywing 150a ESC and 2000kv motor.

$110 USD for a a charger ($40), and one 3s ($45) and one 2s ($35) battery.

+/- $400 USD. True, it is pretty close to the price of the MT4, but you would still need the batteries and charger. I guess the other way you could look at it is "I only need an extra $100ish to get batteries, I may as well get the MT4..."

That's all you need to get started. You can add on more batteries later if you like. (highly recommended)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.