Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless MT Options..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

herrsavage you had a change of heart on brushless?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

No, I just live five minutes from a huge green park that I go to really often.. I don't like electric, but it would be nice to be able to take something over there to mess around.. Just not for €600+....
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
No, I just live five minutes from a huge green park that I go to really often.. I don't like electric, but it would be nice to be able to take something over there to mess around.. Just not for €600+....

I wouldnt know where to start with electric, from what I read here though electric isnt that easy as its sometimes made out to be. And from the sound of it its really expensive buy in. Gonna stick with nitro myself. Except when hpi drops that gasser I will be trying it out with quickness.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

It's a little more expensive on the front end, but over time the cost of ownership evens out with Nitro. Less maintenance, less fuel requirements, amortizes out over time.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LaTuFu
It's a little more expensive on the front end, but over time the cost of ownership evens out with Nitro. Less maintenance, less fuel requirements, amortizes out over time.

Only thing about it to me that looks insanely fun about it is how quick a electric setup can be! They have so much torque! I would just miss the sound and smell of a engine!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Basically I have 2 electric truck for myself (and 1 for the wife). My brushless truggy (taking the spot of my MGT) will be for playing on hills(instant torque and reverse make it a lot of fun) and snow and just whenever im out of fuel. lol

My other is my brushless T4 and its my vacation truck (small and only needs 1 battery) and night time runner (quiet so it doesent wake neighbors). I also run it with my wife and father in law because sometimes its nice to be able to sit it on the ground and not mess with it.

My real love will always be nitro though

I do think its nice to have the option of both, and its nice not burning fuel when i run the electrics.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
Basically I have 2 electric truck for myself (and 1 for the wife). My brushless truggy (taking the spot of my MGT) will be for playing on hills(instant torque and reverse make it a lot of fun) and snow and just whenever im out of fuel. lol

My other is my brushless T4 and its my vacation truck (small and only needs 1 battery) and night time runner (quiet so it doesent wake neighbors). I also run it with my wife and father in law because sometimes its nice to be able to sit it on the ground and not mess with it.

My real love will always be nitro though

I do think its nice to have the option of both, and its nice not burning fuel when i run the electrics.

I thought about getting my wife a electric to get her started into the hobby, Might end up doing it one day!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My wife enjoy's running hers. I have a stampede XL-5 model she ran for about 2 years. I bought a T4.1 roller for cheap to steal the body off of for mine. I was going to sell the truck as a roller with no body because it was in good shape and I got it cheap. She informed me that she wanted that instead of her stampede, so now thats what she's driving

We went out and ran 2 battery packs through both of the T4's at the rock quary yesterday. Pretty fun!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
My wife enjoy's running hers. I have a stampede XL-5 model she ran for about 2 years. I bought a T4.1 roller for cheap to steal the body off of for mine. I was going to sell the truck as a roller with no body because it was in good shape and I got it cheap. She informed me that she wanted that instead of her stampede, so now thats what she's driving

We went out and ran 2 battery packs through both of the T4's at the rock quary yesterday. Pretty fun!

ha ha I bet it was! Got to get my wife into it!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

Basically I live in a flat in the city center, so running nitro requires loading my stuff up into the elevator, going down to the ground floor, loading up the car, and going off to some park or track somewhere(and even then, you have "quiet periods" from 1-3 pm EVERYWHERE, EVERY DAY!!.. I.e. no nitro.. - or even mowing your lawn, and in some places, using your washing machine...) I live literally five minutes from a huge green park full of kids and people though. So my idea was, it would be nice to have something small and simple to just be able to literally walk over to the park with. Plop it on the sidwalk outside the building and just walk over to the park with it with the fam, etc..

I had this several years ago with an E-zilla, which I also investeed €500 in, and it was overwhelmingly boring. I remember taking it out to the park on a snowy day once, and yeah it was mildly amusing to run on the frozen river for about five minutes, but ultimately it all felt like a big overpriced pathetic toy. So what I want now is something way faster, and way cheaper.. ( Yeah right..) Doesn't look like that's really possible yet though... Maybe a used hopped up Mini Revo or something would do the trick.. But even then lipos still make me nervous.

On a sidenote last year I saw more and more guys who had gotten these mini RC planes to fly around, and they were doing it in the park. Looked like fun too.. We're in this park a lot, so I just want a toy to be able to bring over there when we're on a picnic or whatever.. Can't really do this with nitro in the summer when the place is full of people :

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...reeFlippin.mp4

Last edited by Herrsavage; 02-28-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What scares you about LiPos? The price, or the internet urban myths about the unstable, dangerous bombs ready to explode the minute you don't sacrifice a goat before charging them?

If its price, that's changed quite a bit since your last foray into electric. Hobbypartz and Hobbyking both have high quality batteries for cheap prices. GensAce and Turnigy, for starters (I know there are others, but these I know enough firsthand to recommend) have great batteries for reasonable cost.

If it's the urban legend stuff, that tends to be pretty overblown and sensationalized, in my experience. Yes, there are accidents and fires from time to time, but each one I have found you can trace it back to user error, not unstable LiPo. Charging improperly, overdischarging, general abusive ownership.

If you take the same amount of time to learn the correct way to maintain a LiPo that you have to learn how to tune a Nitro engine, I am willing to bet that you will never experience a major problem with your batteries.

I know how much you enjoy Nitro. But you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of ripping a Brushless MT or truggy through the park by your flat. I can almost guarantee it.

Now get out there, buy your BL conversion stuff or MT4, get some batteries, and have some pure unadulterated BL fun!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey man been following this for awhile now and just thought i would throw in my .02. Im currently converting my Losi aftershock to brushless. I picked the truck up for $50. I already had a 80A Xerun Hobbywing and 2250KV Hobbywingmotor. It cost me $130 shipped for the electronics. I bought a mount of ebay designed for converting a Tmaxx to brushless. Cost me $28 shipped. I know its nothing like the dudes stuff, but thats almost double what i paid for the whole truck just for the motor mount haha.

Here is a quick rundown of what you would need IMO to cheaply convert your LST2.

Hobbywing combo: $135.00
Losi single speed conversion: $24.00
T-maxx motor mount : $28
G-Force 5000mah, 25c Lipos : $26.00 each
Thunder ace lipo charger/Balancer : $36.00
You can make your own battery holders, and esc mounts very easily out of plastic as i did for FREE! You already have a radio, and a bunch of servo`s extra if you convert it.

If you do it my way (or similar) it will be done for a total of roughly $275.

I had a 3.3 t maxx and loved it, thought Nitro was the coolost thing ever. Untill i drove a brushless emaxx. Ill never go back. The power of brushless is just insane. I have a hyper 10 TT also, and i love creeping up to a jump, and hitting the throttle for 1/2 a second and whatching my truck launch over the jump and then some.

ANd just remeber that the electronics stuff holds it value aswell. SO if you ever decide to go back it is sellable.. Ill throw up a picture tonight of my
E-Aftershock. Im very happy with it
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Basically I live in a flat in the city center, so running nitro requires loading my stuff up into the elevator, going down to the ground floor, loading up the car, and going off to some park or track somewhere(and even then, you have "quiet periods" from 1-3 pm EVERYWHERE, EVERY DAY!!.. I.e. no nitro.. - or even mowing your lawn, and in some places, using your washing machine...) I live literally five minutes from a huge green park full of kids and people though. So my idea was, it would be nice to have something small and simple to just be able to literally walk over to the park with. Plop it on the sidwalk outside the building and just walk over to the park with it with the fam, etc..

I had this several years ago with an E-zilla, which I also investeed €500 in, and it was overwhelmingly boring. I remember taking it out to the park on a snowy day once, and yeah it was mildly amusing to run on the frozen river for about five minutes, but ultimately it all felt like a big overpriced pathetic toy. So what I want now is something way faster, and way cheaper.. ( Yeah right..) Doesn't look like that's really possible yet though... Maybe a used hopped up Mini Revo or something would do the trick.. But even then lipos still make me nervous.

On a sidenote last year I saw more and more guys who had gotten these mini RC planes to fly around, and they were doing it in the park. Looked like fun too.. We're in this park a lot, so I just want a toy to be able to bring over there when we're on a picnic or whatever.. Can't really do this with nitro in the summer when the place is full of people :

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...reeFlippin.mp4

Totally get what your getting at as far as why your wanting to try electric. Only question I have is, What is up with the quiet hours in your city? Forgive me but I dont know anything about the city life ha ha I live way out in the country.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

`Get a TTR MT4...... thoise little mini's get lame really fast......From what I see the MT4 is realy badass for the money
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

It is true, once you start adding up what you need for a mini whatever, you're up in the price territory where it does just make sense to get a full 8th scale.. I've got too many nitro engines to break in and run this year, so maybe come next winter I'll consider it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.