Wiki Posts
Search

Building two E Maxxes

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Building two E Maxxes

After the success of converting my 3.3 T-Maxx to brushless, I realized I really like the electric version way more than I ever loved any of my T-Maxxes. So I decided to go all out and build two beasts. I've been slowly picking parts off eBay for the past month or two, and I'm just about ready to start assembling everything.

Here's where I am now.

Truck #1

-SuperMaxx Widetrack suspension arms
-FLM shock towers
-FLM E-Maxx 3905 Extended Chassis Link Ordering this tonight
-FLM Ultimate Front and Rear Hybrid bulks with diffs Front Rear Also ordering tonight
-Castle MMM with a 2650kv motor

Truck #2

-Hardcore Racing wide suspension arms
-Hardcore Racing shock towers
-GorillaMaxx G2 E-Maxx chassis. So far I have the main chassis, and the rear upper plate. I need the X-braces and the front top plate still, so far my search has come up with nothing. I may actually ditch this chassis in favor of FLMs LCG chassis kit, which is very similar in design. Link
-For bulks I haven't decided between another set of FLMs or to go with a set from ACNCM off eBay. His look really beefy and are only $40 for all 4. Link
-Tekin RX8 (need a motor)

Shopping list...

Emaxx BL tranny (x2)
CVDs all around including centers (x2)
Shocks of some sort (x2)
Tekin T8 motor for Truck #2

Anyone know anything about ACNCM parts? Like I said, they look beefy, but I've never really heard of them, and they are relatively cheap, so I'm leery.

For the shocks I'm not too sure what I wanna do. A member here has a set of Progressive EDC2 shocks, which are sick shock and would be period-correct for the supermaxx truck, but they are very expensive. Debating on maybe just going with Traxxas big bores, but that feels like the easy, cheap way out. Supermaxx shocks would be cool, but are kinda hard to find at a decent price. I thought about Integys MSR8s but again I am cautious considering its Integy. On top of all that, I have to get 2 sets of shocks

Anyone have any input, feel free. I'll be updating with pics and what not as I go.

--------------------
EDIT:
Final parts list for truck #1

-FLM E-Maxx 3905 Extended Chassis
-SuperMaxx Widetrack suspension arms
-FLM Shock towers
-FLM Ultimate Hybrid bulks Front and Rear
-FLM Skids Front and Rear
-FLM Hardened steel hinge pins
-Castle MMM and 2650kv motor
-Tekno axle carriers
-Traxxas CVDs
-Traxxas Black Tubes toe links
-Ofna Titan 1/8 shocks
-RC Screwz Stainless screw kit
-Hot Bodies Lightning wing and mount
-Traxxas 17mm adapters
-Pro-Line Mulchers on some unknown wheels
-Avid rubber sealed bearings throughout
-Turnigy Nano-Tech LiPos 35-70c 5k mAh. Pair of 2s, pair of 3s
-Spektrum DX3r
-SR3100
-Savox SC-0254mg 100 oz/in @ 0.14sec, brushless
-Gorilla Maxx battery straps

Stock items
-Emaxx BL edition trans, motor plate and gear cover
-Tmaxx steering bellcranks
-Body mounts
-pivot/pillow balls

------------------------

Last edited by SloRacer1080; 03-25-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Looks like you are well on your way to two bad ass rides. I will definitely be watching this thread.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I'm in for watching. You have my favorite companies in the mix here, very nice.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys. Yeah it's kinda a way to finally have all those things I wanted when I was younger but couldn't afford. And for the record, these will not be shelf queens I plan to beat the crap outta them, within reason of course lol.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080
I plan to beat the crap outta them, within reason of course lol.
YAY!! Look forward to seeing these finished!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

Ok, so, the FLM chassis, front and rear hybrid bulks with diffs, a new BL emaxx tranny from an ebay chop shop, and 1 set of Traxxas cvds, are all ordered and on their way.

That is going to pretty much complete truck #1. I need to get a screw kit for it, I wanna do new bearings all around since the ones in the truck are factory from almost two years ago. Other than that it's down to shocks and axle carriers/knuckles.

Any recommendations for knuckles? I've seen a set of HCR ones on ebay, but it's only one pair
Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

Don't buy that pair off of eBay. I made the mistake of buying those exact knuckles two weeks ago. They are polished yes, but they were scratched to he!! And back before they were polished and they didn't get those scratches out before polishing. They look horrible in person, trust me. I returned them and now there back on eBay.

I don't know if you would consider plastic knuckles, but teckno makes some very beefy knuckles for the maxx.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

I debated about getting rpm knuckles, but Ill check out the Tekno ones too, thanks.

Yeah I kinda had a feeling the whole polishing the parts was to hide some imperfections or something, thanks for the heads up
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Those are gonna be nice.

Is HCR the same company as Integy? Those HCR shock towers are exactly the same as Integy Type2 towers I used to have. As far as hit or miss, they were a hit, took crazy abuse and never bent.

I would not buy integy shocks. Big bore shocks are the way to go and not the easy way out... they are awesome shocks that are super tough and never leak! If you want to go from 8 shocks down to 4, look for Ofna 1/8 scale buggy shocks or something similar.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

Hcr is not the same as integy. Hcr stands for hardcore racing, there no longer in business but they produced high quality parts. Integy copied there design on the shock towers. A little fun fact for everyone, integy also copied unlimited engineerings racer x suspension. The owner of ue apparently found out and put a stop to any further sales.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Holly wow, Is this what happends when you get cabin fever and aren't able to play with your converted e/t maxx? Lol those trucks are going to look viscous...
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by toyspd
Holly wow, Is this what happends when you get cabin fever and aren't able to play with your converted e/t maxx? Lol those trucks are going to look viscous...
Yeah, part cabin fever, part nice tax return check lol

So at this point everything is ordered, just waiting on the FLM chassis, and front and rear hybrid bulks which are being drop shipped from FLM, so I have another week or two before I see them. I got 'lucky' and someone outbid me on the EDC2 shocks I was going to get, I was happy to see them go to someone else. So I ordered up a set of Traxxas big bores.

I've been keeping track of what it has cost me so far, not really as bad as I thought. All in all I'm a little under $800 not including shipping charges.

I'll update once I get the chassis in and I can start assembling everything. The waiting is killing me cause there isn't much I can do without the chassis and bulks. This is all just for Truck #1, I figured I would finish one, then start working on the second truck.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Let the build begin...

Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Addict

That's a big pile of sweets you got there
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

filler post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.