R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks

Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation HPI Savage XL? Whats the Best RC Truck to buy?

I owned a Traxxas T-Maxx and put over $2k in improvements pretty much upgraded everything including the chassis and a bigger motor; think I went from a .15 to a Rossi .21. I like these trucks alot and have had alot of problems with the T-Maxx. I bought it because it was popular so I figured there was alot of replacement parts for it. I just want everyones opinion of the best overall RC Truck to get, I heard the Savage XL with the 5.9 is the best, or is it? I wanna get back into RC trucks
gr8tylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are alot of good trucks out there, its hard to say what's the best truck out there when there are so many good ones out there.

For example, you have the savage flux insane brushless power and the savage name behind it.

You also have the new kid on the block. The thunder tiger mt4. This truck has came out of nowhere and has taken alot of people by storm. Don't know much about it but from reading what everyone says about it on here and seeing some of the Vids its one hell of a truck.

Then you have the losi xxl. I owned this truck at one point in time. One of the best if not the best nitro out there. You have a renamed lrp 28 the best or one of the best rtr rx/tx out. You also have some rebagged hi tech servos. The almost two years I owned that truck it was a beast. The tranny needs a foc out of the box. But the time I owned it only thing I broke was a a arm and that was hitting a tree a 30+MPH and a turn buckle. Other than that stock diffs and parts also to add I had 13+ gallons threw the stock engine. Also to add the easiest to work on out of all.

Then you have the hpi savage xl. I owned this truck and have getting another on here Thursday. Very good basher strong and can take a beating. This truck out of the others needs the most upgrades out of the others. You'll need a engine,servos,rx/tx pretty much straight out of the box. Other than those things it a awesome truck and must be, because I had two.

You also have the team associated mgt 8.0 biggest engine out of the two and is pretty close to the traxxas line. Don't know much about it and never seen one but i have watched plenty of Vids and its a power house and tough..

Also to add. You have the savage x lines. You have the old x with junky diffs and tranny problems. You also have the 2011 x with big bores and BP diffs. Pretty good truck. Its a step up from the old x.

Really at the end of the day its all up to you on what you pick. I'm going to say this before anyone else. Find out what your local hobby shop carries and go from there. Good luck and welcome..
doug e fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Also how do you plan to use your mt?
LSVTIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug e fresh View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are alot of good trucks out there, its hard to say what's the best truck out there when there are so many good ones out there.

For example, you have the savage flux insane brushless power and the savage name behind it.

You also have the new kid on the block. The thunder tiger mt4. This truck has came out of nowhere and has taken alot of people by storm. Don't know much about it but from reading what everyone says about it on here and seeing some of the Vids its one hell of a truck.

Then you have the losi xxl. I owned this truck at one point in time. One of the best if not the best nitro out there. You have a renamed lrp 28 the best or one of the best rtr rx/tx out. You also have some rebagged hi tech servos. The almost two years I owned that truck it was a beast. The tranny needs a foc out of the box. But the time I owned it only thing I broke was a a arm and that was hitting a tree a 30+MPH and a turn buckle. Other than that stock diffs and parts also to add I had 13+ gallons threw the stock engine. Also to add the easiest to work on out of all.

Then you have the hpi savage xl. I owned this truck and have getting another on here Thursday. Very good basher strong and can take a beating. This truck out of the others needs the most upgrades out of the others. You'll need a engine,servos,rx/tx pretty much straight out of the box. Other than those things it a awesome truck and must be, because I had two.

You also have the team associated mgt 8.0 biggest engine out of the two and is pretty close to the traxxas line. Don't know much about it and never seen one but i have watched plenty of Vids and its a power house and tough..

Also to add. You have the savage x lines. You have the old x with junky diffs and tranny problems. You also have the 2011 x with big bores and BP diffs. Pretty good truck. Its a step up from the old x.

Really at the end of the day its all up to you on what you pick. I'm going to say this before anyone else. Find out what your local hobby shop carries and go from there. Good luck and welcome..
+1
Team AE sc8
Mugen MBX6T
toshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I agree with everything Mr. Fresh said. However, the danger of going with what your LHS stocks is that you'll almost always end up going with Traxxas. I'd research each of the described trucks online (and on youtube) as much as possible to see if one really connects with what you're looking for.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Tech Master

The best truck for you will depend on a few things. How your going to drive it, how you intend to modify it, if you do, & what do you like personally.

For me, there is just something about the XL. I hate the 5.9 but looooove the XL Platform. I have a X also, its awesome, loves to wheelies etc, but the XL has a certain "Je ne sais quais" I also have a 8ight-T 2.0 Racer & its great, but still there is something about the XL that always draws me back, from the first time I saw it I knew it was the RC Truck for me.
FLM LCG Savage RR ZR30X ERCM - FLM Savage XL - 2011 Savage X4.6 - RS4 Evo 3 SS+ NS.18 Outlaw - 8ight-T 2.0 Race Roller ZR30X 086 - Hopped up Jato RTR - Ground up fully modified Jato - Mini 8ight Momba MP 6000kv HET- BB Mini E-Revo 8900kv Flux Pro - 1/16 Boss 302 vxl - Traxxas 1/16 Monster Energy WCC 69 Camaro Special Edition
Rac3rX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac3rX View Post
The best truck for you will depend on a few things. How your going to drive it, how you intend to modify it, if you do, & what do you like personally.

For me, there is just something about the XL. I hate the 5.9 but looooove the XL Platform. I have a X also, its awesome, loves to wheelies etc, but the XL has a certain "Je ne sais quais" I also have a 8ight-T 2.0 Racer & its great, but still there is something about the XL that always draws me back, from the first time I saw it I knew it was the RC Truck for me.
For me its because its nitro and it looks like a mt, unlike the xxl. Yes the xxl is a awesome truck but it more truggy than mt. What I mean about truggy is the way it sits and how wide it is. Yes it can handle and it works but doesn't give me that mt feeling.

Yes the savage needs alot of work, engine wise,servos and rx/tx and the occasional tighten down screws. The savage xl has came a long way since it first came out. No more diff issues( I haven't had any) the tranny is better. The truck just needed to be out for a bit for it to be any good.

As I said, I have another xl that I will post pics of Thursday. The xl is just one of those trucks you love to hate sometime but it just works. To me tho not all people love nitro and the op could be one of those.

So for a truck for him I would say the thunder tiger mt4. It can do both and is the best of both worlds and looks to be not going anywhere anytime soon..

Last edited by doug e fresh; 02-22-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: misspellings.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Los XXL.

Better engine, better radio, better handling than the Savage.
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote. what your LHS stocks is that you'll almost always end up going with Traxxas.

Also not always true. My local hobby shop carries a good mixture of hpi,losi and traxxas. As a matter of fact all my hobby shops carry a good variety of the three I just named.

Yes I know it could be the opposite with him and it could have none of the others but traxxas. We won't know until he signs back on and he tells us what his hobby shops carries.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
Tech Elite

For Losi parts(if you even need them..), jennysrcparts on ebay is THE source.
-TT MT4 G3
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Good Info

Thanks to all, im going to research these particular RC trucks and see how they compare:

1. HPI Savage XL
2. Losi Lst XXL
3. Thunder Tiger MT4

I'm mainly going to be using it in fields, snow, creeks around idaho...Is there any huge differences between electric and nitro powered? My old T-Maxx was nitro just because I enjoy the sound and think its more fun using nitro. I'm not going to be using a T-Maxx though simply because I ran into way too many problems with it and think of Traxxas as a company whos more into cheaper production without quality!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Traxxas sells shiny nice-looking plastic RC's that need a ton of upgraded to be made durable.

The TT MT4 G3 is the one to get if you want electric, and the Losi XXL or Savage XL if you want nitro.

I personally like nitro way more than electric(well, I don't like electric at all..), but that's a personal preference. I did once invest a bunch of money in an electric truck, and the lack of sound just made it incredibly lame - for me.. These new brushless trucks are far faster, but still, they're still electric afaic - so I just can't get into them.. I need the sound and smell and screaming revs of nitro.. More motor-sport-like.. But whatever floats your boat.. Electric has the advantages of being easier to run in the winter, and not bothering your neighbors all year round..
-TT MT4 G3
Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Traxxas sells shiny nice-looking plastic RC's that need a ton of upgraded to be made durable.

The TT MT4 G3 is the one to get if you want electric, and the Losi XXL or Savage XL if you want nitro.

I personally like nitro way more than electric(well, I don't like electric at all..), but that's a personal preference. I did once invest a bunch of money in an electric truck, and the lack of sound just made it incredibly lame - for me.. These new brushless trucks are far faster, but still, they're still electric afaic - so I just can't get into them.. I need the sound and smell and screaming revs of nitro.. More motor-sport-like.. But whatever floats your boat.. Electric has the advantages of being easier to run in the winter, and not bothering your neighbors all year round..
so between the Losi XXL and the Savage XL which one is more powerful? I want a Beast out there..I understand I'll need to buy some stuff like a roll cage to keep up with my aggressive driving
Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tylor View Post
so between the Losi XXL and the Savage XL which one is more powerful? I want a Beast out there..I understand I'll need to buy some stuff like a roll cage to keep up with my aggressive driving
Stock for stock the Losi hands down.
ironzgti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tylor View Post
Both will allow a LRP or Picco drop in, but the Savage XL has the 3spd
FLM LCG Savage RR ZR30X ERCM - FLM Savage XL - 2011 Savage X4.6 - RS4 Evo 3 SS+ NS.18 Outlaw - 8ight-T 2.0 Race Roller ZR30X 086 - Hopped up Jato RTR - Ground up fully modified Jato - Mini 8ight Momba MP 6000kv HET- BB Mini E-Revo 8900kv Flux Pro - 1/16 Boss 302 vxl - Traxxas 1/16 Monster Energy WCC 69 Camaro Special Edition
Rac3rX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links