Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Savage XL - Three Speed Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Savage XL - Three Speed Tranny

My savage XL won't shift into third gear... I have turned the allen screw inside the transmission counter clockwise to get earlier gear shift but it still will not shift into third... Is there something else I could do to get the transmission to shift?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arrigoni003
My savage XL won't shift into third gear... I have turned the allen screw inside the transmission counter clockwise to get earlier gear shift but it still will not shift into third... Is there something else I could do to get the transmission to shift?
maybe you got it turned to much and it shifts to early to allow it to go into 3rd gear. or how is your tune? is it getting up enough rpm's to shift into 3rd?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Initiate

it shifts into 2nd perfectly but then it seems like it wants to shift to third but just doesn't so it might need a good tuning of the engine because I haven't done that in a while. could that be the problem??
Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by arrigoni003
it shifts into 2nd perfectly but then it seems like it wants to shift to third but just doesn't so it might need a good tuning of the engine because I haven't done that in a while. could that be the problem??
I think your too geared down for your shift points.

Try turning the 2 - 3 shift in first, far in, keep on going. Do at least 5 turns in from flush to start, then make 1/8 at a time, & adjustments from there.. If your shift disappears, your too geared down, & you can either run bigger wheels, gear up, or adjust your shifts to match.

With the shift missing (after completing the suggested test) turn in your your 1 - 2 shift until you get a clear shift, & then adjust it accordingly, then once you have the 1 - 2, try and catch third, if it don't grab, dial it back
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (98%+)
Default tune

hows your tune? if your engine does not have enough scream, it may hit 2 but not enough to punch into 3rd. if that is not the case, if you already tried to the max adjusting the 3rd, open your transmission and check out the 3rd gear binding