Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Everyone Dogs the Traxxas 3.3 engine >

Everyone Dogs the Traxxas 3.3 engine

Everyone Dogs the Traxxas 3.3 engine

Old 02-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default When all else fails?

Look up the OEM settings. ( I am one who really needs to listen to his own advice though). Seriously though Graveyard I am sure you are a very smart guy being a machinist.

Good luck
Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STEELHEADER1
Look up the OEM settings. ( I am one who really needs to listen to his own advice though). Seriously though Graveyard I am sure you are a very smart guy being a machinist.

Good luck
Yes, I need to check the oem settings. I'll tell ya though...it's easier building the parts than tuning them, lol.
Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Graveyard
Yes, I need to check the oem settings. I'll tell ya though...it's easier building the parts than tuning them, lol.
Thanks
About 4 out HSN, LSN flush with the throttle horn is the factory settings.

I assume you have not messed with it yet?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Actually I did saturday. It was 25 degrees outside...holy shit. Bout froze my marbles off. I set the idle gap to what you said and leaned up the lsn and richened the hsn slightly. It seemed that the idle gap would not go any less than about .5 or .6 mm . It got slow to start with the lsn leaned up.
It also had somewhat of a surge...fast then slow idle. I was still seeing around 290 but that was in 25 degree weather.
Its kinda hard to mess with them at these cold temps.
Thanks again though
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Graveyard
Actually, the gap is about .04 or 1mm. I'm a machinist for 30 years and have the tools for measurements. I can try re-adjusting the needles again but I 've gone though the tuning procedures recommended here. I'll admit this tuning is new to me but I have a lot of smoke trail and it runs very nice...just gets hot.
Very hot...lol. Well into the 300's...sometimes into the mid 300's.
hi, i had the same problem... until a cut some vented areas in the bodie.

now no more thann 270F and is getting high rpm to pass second gear.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by got_nitro
Typically in this hobby, idle gap is in MM, not converted to inches None the less, if your at 1mm or .03937 inches, your idle gap is too large which means you have to run a rich LSN to get it to idle nice. You should be at about .5-.6 mm

Most common tuning problem is a rich LSN and a lean HSN. I can almost guarantee you if you lean out your LSN, let the engine rev up, then turn your idle down you will have to richen your HSN. This will bring your temps down if it's not to late on your sleeve already from high temps.
very good advice, the same thing happend to me, then i leaned the LSn.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Rookie

I own a T-MAX 2.5 and bought it new. It was starting to over heat and then would shut off after a single high speed run. I would have to keep the throttle at half to prevent it stalling. Once it stalled and shut off I could restart it only after it was below 100ish degrees. So I tried cutting holes and making duct work so air would go straight to the jug. it would run a little longer. It has been roughly through 4 gallons of fuel. So I took it to my LHS and they said that what happens after that long where the crank and piston rod meet, it oblong the thus creating some play and for that small of a motor that's a lot of play. I'm gonna do a 5-2.5 to 3.3 motor swap as well. And hope that works.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am a fan of the o.s. engines. Great power and reliability. My old 2.5 liked to run hot, havent really messed with the 3.3s