Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My LST XXL Broke His Back Today :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Default My LST XXL Broke His Back Today :(

I've had my Losi LST XXL monster truck for about 2 weeks now. I'm at the point now where I've got it broken in and have started putting into 2nd gear. I had the lid off while I was adjusting the settings - high-end needle, idle, etc.

While at a good speed in a grass field, the truck hit a bump, flipped once and landed back on its feet. I quickly noticed the truck would rev but not move. Then i noticed its belly sagging.

Upon inspection, I see that both chassis side rails are broke in half, right below where the motor is. As if it landed upside down on the motor causing the truck to break in half? In all my previous rc's, the shock towers are tall enough to prevent any major mechanical contact with the ground in the event it was tumbled upside down. In this case, the 454 motor has a higher clearance than the shock towers so when it flipped, the first thing to make contact was the motor, causing the rest of the body to flex.

In addition, transmission does not engage. It appears as if a rod has broken. The engine spins, but the does not engage the transmission and I can see what appears to be a broken rod right next to transmission box. (I think the large black box is the trans.).

I decided to go with the XXL after watching a few YouTube videos of someone bashing the doodoo out of theirs at the Psycho Pits.

I'm frustrated that if I had my lid on, maybe this would have not happened. After seeing what this truck can hold up to, I can't help but wonder why this happened so easily. If I had dropped it from a 2-story building upside-down, I see how it's possible. I just got the dang truck. I really don't feel this should have happened.

I've never worked with Losi - so im not sure how willing they would be to help Or do i take it to the hobby shop i bought it from? How would someone proceed with an inquiry or repair? I repair things myself on my other rc's, but this would involve taking apart the entire truck. This truck should have withstood a flip

Frustrated,
Jason
Old 02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i'd buy four and sandwich two togather. since you got to do the labor anyway,,,,,
Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Buy two sets of the chassis rails?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Break it, build it up stronger...

Chassis are cheap for the XXL on Ebay. Maybe consider a roll cage?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Initiate

So, I've checked out the chassis' on eBay. Is there any one stronger than the other? Are there ways I can reinforce the chassis? Does RPM make a chassis for this truck?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds like u hit just right for it to break id ebay the parts and rebuild it that truck is a beast I've owned 2 sold the first and kicked myself every day till I got the 2nd one sounds like a roll bar might be the way to go for ya but then again sounds like a case of bad luck to break it lik that god luck with gettin it up and running let us know how it goes
Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I did Just about the same thing with mine. Had to buy a new chassis and rebuild the truck, also put a roll bar from new era on. Some skid plates on the bottom and she's good to go. Really a great truck, just bad luck... Good luck! The truck is very easy to take apart and rebuild
Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

That sucks.. The best thing you can do is get a New Era rollbar. It strengthens the truck in many ways.

I was never terribly keen on the XXL concept personally - though I still do believe it's THE ultimate MT.. But maybe the rollbar is more necessary than I thought. I mean, they took the best MT ever.. - the LST2, and basically just stretched it. As a marketing response to the Savage XL probably.. OK, the engine and some other stuff are better, but stretching the chassis was unnecessary IMO.. But yeah, vids and feedback have always been good..

Anyway, just get a stock new chassis cheap off ebay, and do your best to get a New Era rollbar.. Won't happen again..

Last edited by Herrsavage; 02-06-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Y'all are great! Thanks for the help.

My last dilemma is the transmission. I took the outside cover off and see that one of the two plastic gears (that was connected to the transmission) is chewed up. The two metal gears connected to the engine are perfect and spin very freely.

Is it easier to rebuild a transmission or just buy a new one?

I guess a bigger question might be - what caused the transmission spindle to snap? It's worth nothing if I rebuild it and it happens again!

Where's the best place to buy tools for this beast?
J
Old 02-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

You could just buy the gear to be replaced.. Or a whole new 2-speed from jennysrcparts on ebay.. But that's probably not necessary..

All you have to do is replace that one gear. Prob costs 7 bucks or something.. Prob stripped when the chassis buckled. Remember, when you put the 2-speed back on screw the nut all the way down, then back it out 3/4 to one full turn..
Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Chassis strength is greatly improved with Fatbears Mod...

http://www.fatbearscave.net/lst/page17.html

then upgrade all the 4/40 screws to 3mm x 12
Old 02-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm trying to upload a video of this booger so y'all can see what I'm talking about. It's telling me I don't have enough posts to have a URL. How many posts do I need?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SaveMeA550
I'm trying to upload a video of this booger so y'all can see what I'm talking about. It's telling me I don't have enough posts to have a URL. How many posts do I need?
Try it now...you needed 10
Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Video

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfzaR...e_gdata_player
Old 02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi. I'm new here btw.
Snapped the output shaft there huh? May want to pull it apart just to see what else is broken inside, then price it out from there.
You could always get a complete tranny then use whatever is good from the broken one as spares.

I've had my XXL for just about 3 weeks. Fortunately only broke a few steering knuckles and turnbuckles so far. It did however have a lot wrong with it out of the box. I've been collecting lots of parts on some of the ebay stores to minimize downtime
I do love the xxl though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.