Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy or Monster Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Default Truggy or Monster Truck?

I'm posting this question for a friend of mine and he would like some opinion's from you guys to see what all of you think.

Here is the scenario...

He loves MT's but recently has started to really like truggies. He likes to bash, race with me up and down the street, and run all night long in empty parking lots, and jump into a occasional race here and there. He does not want elec and would like to stick with nitro. I know this is a loaded question but I'm gonna ask anyway to see what responses we get so with that being said....If he chooses a MT it's gonna be a losi lst xxl no doubt.

So here's the question...If your were in his shoes why would you pick a truggy over a MT? He's Not big into racing so keep that in mind when giving your reply.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Truggy, see this thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...nversions.html

Last edited by The Captain; 01-24-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

That thread? Are you sure?

(No link)

I'm not a Nitro guy, so I'm going to sit back and watch HerrSavage and CumminsDriver weigh in.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Captain
Truggy, see this thread:
Nothing there Cap????
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I don't know if he was referring to this thread, but it is a pretty recent discussion on RCU.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...nversions.html

Sorry
Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Truggy

Truggy makes an excellent basher with right wheels and add some spring preload.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a monster can be converted into a truggy but not the other way round...where as mt is a better basher.....than a recer just my 2 cents, I'd go for a mt anytime..
Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Suspended

MT a better basher? I strongly disagree!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Losi muggy Best of both worlds.
I have been in the Monster truck game, Truggys can be made to tackle what an MT can when set up right.
dont let anyone tell you differently.
I do not race either but it was something different.

Same as you can set up a monster to handle decent...

Monster has an advantage when running nitro as they have a 2 or 3speed possibility
Can be made to handle decent
Price to maintain usually cheaper
parts can usually be used between older and newer models, ie: savage, revo.
Bashability great.

Truggy
Better out of box handling.
can be made to bash with the best of them.
Excellent for brushless conversions (my preference with my Muggy conversion) already have a center diff so no single speed conversions.
If your a wheelie man lock the center diff with JB weld and your set.

Parts can be a bit more pricey

All comes down to Personal preference.

My preference Truggy is better all around,
unless you need a first gear and love wheelies.

Going or considering Brushless, truggy's can yank wheelies like there going extinct, hour or so later can be tuned to race,

If anyone can understand this great as i just woke up from a cat nap...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Here I am LaTuFu

I have not owned a truggy, and I do like them, but there are some things I like about an MT awfully well.

I like the low range, the positive drive to the rear wheels (no center diff), higher ground clearance, and reverse can be pretty nice sometimes.

With a truggy, honestly its not going to run good if you put large tires on a nitro truggy. It'll work on a brushless but a nitro truggy with large tires will be real hard on the clutch and lose a lot of low end since they dont have any kind of low gear. There are several types of terrain they wont handle as well as an mt, regardless of what anyone says. However, you may not run on those types of terrain, and in that case, a truggy may be better for your buddy.

Basically, i feel a truggy would make a great basher, but if you are in some of the more hardcore offroad spots, an MT should be a strong consideration.

With that said, the losi XXL can be raised way up or sat way down low in no more than 5 minutes (spinning those preload collars takes a while!), and the LST series of trucks are excellent handling for an MT. Mine (LST2) is very easy to drive and i like the way the stock tires work on most surfaces except hardpack dirt.

Basically its a decision he will have to make. If he wants something good at everything, the XXL will be a great choice. If he wants something good at everything over 15mph, the truggy will be a good choice I feel they both have their place so thats why i think everyone ultimately should make their own decision.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by zx12r
Going or considering Brushless, truggy's can yank wheelies like there going extinct, hour or so later can be tuned to race,
I think brushless makes a truggy quite a bit more versatile in that you dont need a low gear like you do with a nitro, so then a truggy is decent at low speed stuff unlike the nitro version.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Suspended

Sounds like alot of speculation. I'll speak from experience: I bash my nitro lightning truggy. 12 tooth clutch bell and monster tires. M2C clutch also max life on another one. Even with a center diff pulls wheelies because I run 30,50,10 diff oils for bashing. Handles awesome!!!! And tackles terrain better than my Savage XL.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

What size are your tires? 7 inches tall? If you have 6 1/2 to 7 inch tall tires on a nitro truggy and it didnt slow it down any, id have to see it to believe it.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Suspended

I'd be lying if I said I measured them. I usually use badlands or dirt claws. I've had terra pins and zombie max on them and it really doesn't slow it down. With a truggy you may not have 2 or 3 speed but you get a better sealed engine due to bump start and no slipper clutch and owb to rob power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.