Community
Wiki Posts
Search

S MAXX GEAR BOX ??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Default S MAXX GEAR BOX ??????

today my son and i had our rc cars out to the ball field racing around. i noticed my s-maxx started spinning only the left wheel. i checked and when you spin the right wheel, its almost like a free wheel. when i turn the left wheel the right tire bairly will turn in the reverse direction.

now my question is, should i open the gear box and see what gear is stripped or should i order a new gear box and be done with it?

thanks for any help guys.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The truck will only spin the wheel with the least amount of traction. The diff is not a "locker" or a "posi"... You can slow the "diff action" down by opening it up, cleaning out the spider gears and packing some white lithium grease in it OR filling it with thicker diff fluid. Those diffs never held any fluid for me, they always leak. If you stripped out a spider gear it might be locked to put the power to one side. Can't really make a call till you open it up and have a look.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Rookie

we are gonna gas it up and run it for a minute and see how its pulling when we really get on it in a straight line. i want to see if its pulling to one side. after i clean it really well i plan to tare it down tonight and see whats really going on inside the gear box. i never thought about a thick grease inside the gear box (white litheam). its worth a look i just feel something is wrong in there. the tires had more torque on them when spinning them by hand befor yesterday.

thanks for the reply