Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Steering Problems

My Traxxas T-Maxx has been having trouble lately with steering. When I turn my controller left- the wheels turn left (all the way) fine, but when i turn right on my controller- the wheels sometimes turn right. It usually twitches right to left a couple times and end up facing the opposite direction that I am controlling. The servo isn't making any extra noise that would indicate a problem. If I adjust the trim on my controller the wheel will turn all the way in each direction without a problem. I have no way of testing to see if it is my transmitter, or the receiver for that matter. Any ideas?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Do you have a older traxxas TQ AM radio? I had one go bad in one direction but the other direction was fine. One way you can trouble shoot this problem (if you dont have any other servos) is to unplug the steering servo and the throttle servo on the RX and switch them. You should be able to controll the throttle with your steering wheel now. If your problem is still happening you will know it's not the servo, your problem will either be in your radio or your RX.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Awesome! At the receiver I switched the throttle and servo connections. When I powered everything up and turned my steering control- my throttle started twitching. That means that it is my transmitter, right? Although when I played with the throttle on the controller my steering still did a little twitching. So is my next purchase a controller, or is there a way I can reset it?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

After switching the brake/throttle, and steering servos plugs

You should be able to control the throttle with the steering wheel.

You should be able to control the steering with your trigger.

I don't know what you mean by "twitching" it should move smoothly.

The problem not being able to properly turn in one direction;

IF it is the servo the issue will still continue to happen ON THE STEERING in the same direction even though you are controlling the steering servo with the trigger.

IF it is the transmitter or receiver, The throttle (now being controlled by the wheel) will only work properly in one direction..
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Alright, (still plugged in the same as above) after playing around with it a little more the twitching from left to right in the wheels went away. And now they consistantly go left when I apply brakes and steer right when I apply throttle. Steering the wheel on the controller, on the other hand will make the throttle/brake do something different every time I turn right (which was the problem I had before).
Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STRYK3R
Alright, (still plugged in the same as above) after playing around with it a little more the twitching from left to right in the wheels went away. And now they consistantly go left when I apply brakes and steer right when I apply throttle. Steering the wheel on the controller, on the other hand will make the throttle/brake do something different every time I turn right (which was the problem I had before).
Alright, so we narrowed it down to the transmitter/receiver

This is a little bit tough to isolate the problem to the receiver or transmitter unless you have a second receiver. If its the receiver its a cheap fix, but not so if its the transmitter.

Might be a good time for a upgrade.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool, what do you think about the Traxxas 2.4GHz radio? Do you know if there is an antenna that I have to buy separately?

I can't post URLs yet I guess, but I found a Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz 4-Ch High Output Radio w/Link on Amazon for $99. I know this one is the 4ch one, I'll look around for a 3ch one.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Cool, what do you think about the Traxxas 2.4GHz radio? Do you know if there is an antenna that I have to buy separately?

I can't post URLs yet I guess, but I found a Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz 4-Ch High Output Radio w/Link on Amazon for $99. I know this one is the 4ch one, I'll look around for a 3ch one.
i had the tq3 on my t maxx and just recently upgraded to the traxxas 2.4 and like it!. i got a 2 channel one off ebay for under $45 shipped brand new!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Id prefer the Futaba 2.4g 3pl set up. Screen, ABS, EPA, Memory Trim, & can be used with 10 vehicles.

Should be around the same price.

My personal fav is the Spectrum DX3R Pro, you can completely adjust how the Truck handles with sooooo many features. Cost a lot, but IMO its worth it
Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Rookie

hmm. I rarely use it. I would just like it to work when I actually pull it out of the closet.

Stupid question, but does the 2.4GHz receiver need an antenna?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

hmm. I rarely use it. I would just like it to work when I actually pull it out of the closet.

Stupid question, but does the 2.4GHz receiver need an antenna?
Futaba 2.4g 3pl doesn't have one stick out of the transmitter its built in. They all have antennas, just not all poke out of the receiver. The DX3R Pro has one and its a MUCH better receiver, However Futaba's FHSS 2.4 has never let me down, and it goes further then I should be driving it. I can barely see what direction its facing without giving a lil gas. Same with the DX3R its a monster of a receiver/transmitter set up and Ive yet to lose signal, ever. I should do a walk away test though.

Last edited by Rac3rX; 12-15-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The 2.4 TQ system is pretty decent. You can pick it up on here or ebay for usually half of the price you are getting on Amazon.

Traxxas support will replace a bad 2.4 Ghz unit for $40, ($35 + $5 handling) so you can always get a used unit for dirt cheap and warranty swap it if there is something wrong with it.

They are good units, I get excellent range out of mine. It gets out of comfortable sight range before it gets out of signal range. It's certainly not a Futaba, but it's not priced like one, either.

They have stubby antennas, not the long radio antennas.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Awesome! At the receiver I switched the throttle and servo connections. When I powered everything up and turned my steering control- my throttle started twitching. That means that it is my transmitter, right? Although when I played with the throttle on the controller my steering still did a little twitching. So is my next purchase a controller, or is there a way I can reset it?
I'm glad the rest of these guys (1 in particular) got it figured out for you

I'll be over in my corner reading and laughing for a while.....
Old 12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by got_nitro
I'm glad the rest of these guys (1 in particular) got it figured out for you

I'll be over in my corner reading and laughing for a while.....
Old 12-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rac3rX

You can come in and play thread hero any time you want. All you posted is what I established in my first post 4 postes later...

Here's to you Rac3rX~~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.