Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3905 emaxx motor/esc choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default 3905 emaxx motor/esc choice

looking for something in the 45-50 mph range for daily bashing. I just purchased a used unit with a single vxl brushless in it but i know that will not be adequate for my liking. My previous vehicle was 10 years ago and was a dual .21 tmaxx.

im looking for reliability as well as decent speed. im willing to pay tekin or novak prices if they are going to give me what i am looking for but im having a hard time coming up with if they are any better at all then getting a mamba monster setup.

if it helps in suggestions i've already upgrades all my diffs and trans and every part on the vehicle is a fastlane machining parts.

any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. i plan to run 3s lipo from gens ace 5000mah 11.1v each but backup packs are 5000 mah nimh 7 cell 8.4 packs

James
Old 12-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The only way to get that kind of speed out of the Maxx is to run 5s or 6s.

On my rig, I'm running a Kershaw Designs (Hobbywing, I think) 2039kv 4-Pole Sensorless Brushless motor, and a 150A Hobbywing ESC, on 5S (one 2S and one 3S via a series plug).

Gearing is 20/68, with punch control at 5, and advance timing disabled.

With the huge 40-Series Trenchers on it, the mechanical top speed is ~49mph. It's also a wheelie machine, as one would expect.

Temps were far, far too close to scary (180) with 15deg timing advance, and they are still nearly too high with it disabled.

I've got a 17t Pinion coming, which is going to reduce the top speed, but I'll be able to turn advance timing back on and regain some of that.

Be prepared to grenade things till you upgrade the truck a bunch. I too started with a 3905 E-Maxx. It's favorite thing to do to me was keep exploding it's pain-in-the-ass to get to rear diff, thanks to the plastic housing's inability to handle the BL system's power.

At the minimum I'd get:
Aluminum 17mm Hexes
Steel Center Driveshafts
Aluminum Rear Gearbox Housing
Hot Racing Double-Up (6-Shoe) Slipper w/ Aluminum Shoes
Steel Spur Gear (Slipper heat likes to melt the plastic ones)
Robinson Racing Hardened Steel Spur
Kershaw/RCM/Traxxas Brushless Motor Mount (Centers the BL Can)

You could also go with the Robinson Gen3 Slipper for E-Revo (Same as the Maxx), but it's 65t, so you'll have to change gearing from my example. (16/65 is a safe place if you are going to use huge 40-series wheels/tires like the Trenchers).

If you decide to hang 40-Series wheels and huge tires on the Maxx, make sure to replace the skidplates with Aluminum or Titanium (Preferred) parts, as the plastic skids snap like twigs from the extra weight. My Trenchers made a mockery out of the original plastic skids.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Buy RPM towers, bulkhead braces and body mounts to start. Those are prone to breaking. Then I suggest keep going with the RPM parts. I have EVERY RPM part available on mine except the carriers. They are stock and two years old almost. They never break! Well atleast mine. I also suggest alum skids. I left mine stock and went through about three front skids in a little over a year. They kinda stick out past the bumper and take the blunt of the impact. Duratrax make a nice sturdy pair that are suprisingly cheap. I payed $34 for the pair at my LHS.
As for the electronics.... I like the TRX2075's (125oz/in Digital) for there price. If your running the brushed model then you have the TRX2056 (80oz/in Analog). I dont think the 2056's cut it. They work, but.....
I suggest skipping Kershaw Designs. Nothin personal. Ive bought some stuff from KD's. Most of its just "Chinese" stuff sold as "Keshaw Designs". You could possably find the same things direct from online retailers in china(Hobbyking, etc) Now the best all around set up is the Castle Mamba Monster Max 2200kv combo. Cant really go wrong there. Tekin RX8 is great too, but cost more. As for Hobbywing...Great Stuff! But no customer service. But its reliable, great running and cheap. Hobbypartz.com has them on sale now. You can get the 80A combo for $130 shipped and the 150A for about $200. Honestly the 80A is plenty. Dont let the lower number fool you. I ran that ESC in my Maxx, E Revo, Flux and it was a beast. The only reason you'd really need the 150A is to run 6s lipo. 80A~4s max/ 150A~6s max
Now if you are just getting back in the hobby don't start with 6s. Trust me. It's soooo much more than you think! When I first started getting into big MT's I was runnin for two 3s packs. I was advised to try 4s first by someone with many, many years in the hobby. Almost two years later Im still running 4s and could'nt imagine running a 6s. Its ALOT harder on your trucks parts, drive train, etc. My E Maxx has the MMM 2200 combo geared 21/65(I think 65 in stock spur) and it will pull a full back flip on command and run a wheelie when ever. It can pull wheelies at 20+ mph on command. Im not real shure of top speed. Maybe 40-45mph. But its NuTz
This would be a reliable, cheap start
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-combo-m1.html $135http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4400...-hardcase.html $23 each
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html $44
I use these lipos and have had some that now have several cycles. There excellent for there price. I have this charger aswell. Its cheap, charges EVERYTHING. Nimh, NiCd, Life, Lipo, Lilo and has all the bells and whistles. And its AC & DC powered. So no need for a power supply.
I have ran the XErun as I said. It again, is great. You could go brushless/lipo for a tad over $200 and have it in days
Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

ive had some pretty quick vehicles in the past so im ok with replacing everything in the drivetrain, ive already got the center shafts coming with my chassis, i have upgraded diffs ordered, metal housings on order as well as metal trans case. I had no problems with rpm products on my tmaxx but i hated the way they looked, so i dont mind paying the discounted replacement fee for my metal towers and shocks.

As far as batteries go thanks alot for the insite on the sky lipo's i hadent seen them at all but they look like a very bargain friendly line of batts. I'll definetely do more research on those and see what i can get that will hold me over.

Hell, 40mph should be fine for me, i just didnt want it to become a sluggish pig after running my 80mph xray for so many years and a tmaxx that was pretty fast as well. the mamba monster was definitely on my list of setups i been looking at but i am trying to do my research before throwing money and multiple setups and in the end not being happy. Things are much cheaper then when i had my tmaxx that had 2500 into it, so i honestly dont mind paying to have a toy i can enjoy and appreciate all in the same.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

also my truck will have road rages on it most of the time then something semi small for dirt nothing large.

I just looked at the hobbywing esc 150a and like that alot, as well as the gens ace lipos im going to order here in a few minutes 2 of the 5000mah 3s1p 11.1v 40c. they look promising according to the battery testing they did.

I want to purchase the m3a combo hobbywing kit as well to finish her up but would like a few more thoughts on it before buying it as well.

thanks again for all the awesome advise guys.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Accordman
also my truck will have road rages on it most of the time then something semi small for dirt nothing large.

I just looked at the hobbywing esc 150a and like that alot, as well as the gens ace lipos im going to order here in a few minutes 2 of the 5000mah 3s1p 11.1v 40c. they look promising according to the battery testing they did.

I want to purchase the m3a combo hobbywing kit as well to finish her up but would like a few more thoughts on it before buying it as well.

thanks again for all the awesome advise guys.
the HOBBYWING SET UPS ARE SUPER. Shouldnt be any problems there. And yea, Gens Ace packs are the new industry standard. I have had several. Really I cant feel much diff. between the Sky Lipo,
But you'll find much neg. feedback on either the system or lipos
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
the HOBBYWING SET UPS ARE SUPER. Shouldnt be any problems there. And yea, Gens Ace packs are the new industry standard. I have had several. Really I cant feel much diff. between the Sky Lipo,
But you'll find much neg. feedback on either the system or lipos
i purchased the batteries last night went with the gens ace after all i think i may end up doing the tekin setup after all, as this was never a money thing just a frame of mind thing mostly, knowing i have a ton of expensive parts then i cheaped out on the esc/motor combo just bothers me, i slept on it and still feel that way this morning. im going to spend the day weighing the Pos and neg of the tekin vs MMM Castle then order one of the 2 tonight.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get mmm system. Ue towers, plastic body mounts, rpm arms true trac rear, traxxad center and ft/rr cvds. Run 4s or 5s lipos. I would buy the turnigy zippy packs. They are good lipos get a high dicharge. Cheaper stuff you get, the hotter it will get, so it will sll break.

You get what you paid for