Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking out of the box on tires for my Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Thinking out of the box on tires for my Maxx

SO I'm not real happy with the stock chevrons that come with the 3903 E-Maxx so I'm thinking about getting some Proline Trenchers. I know that's not that uncommon, but I'm thinking about sizing down. I want to put on the 2.8 Trenchers.

Has anyone done this with their MT?

If I get them pre-mounted on the Desperado wheel the hex is only 12mm. I guess I could get a set of wheel hubs and pins for a Stampede or Rustler.

If I go with un-mounted tires and get the wheel separate, what 2.8 wheel has 14 or 17mm hex?

Please feel free to post pics of your MT with smaller tires.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I don't honestly think 12mm hex would work to well on the Maxx. Shoot, 14mm dont always work out that well. This is my thoughts and opinion on this. But hey, its your truck buddy. If you do it please post pics and/or video. But you'll have to mod the hex to fit the larger diameter axle and somehow do something with the pin. Either bore out the slot on the hex or make the smaller pin fit snug in the axle. But that would be fairly easy with a plastic, but on 12-14 cell Nimh or 4s lipo would prob. kill a 12mm plastic hex that you cut into. And a alum. one would be a tad bit harder to cut out to fit the bigger pin if you go that way. Actually it might not be worth it.
Its not "outside the box" but if you want smaller them maybe 3.2's
Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Initiate

I wouldn't think that my stock brushed E-Maxx would shred a 12mm wheel but I guess it's possible, I'm new at all this. I'm heading to my LHS tomorrow and see what they have on the shelf for hex's and pin's.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go 17mm hex and buy a set of truggy tries and wheels. Looks great on the newer emaxxs and works great to.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ue-maxx
Go 17mm hex and buy a set of truggy tries and wheels. Looks great on the newer emaxxs and works great to.
I agree that's why I got 17mm adapters on my X-mas wish list!