Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Savage XL with 8 Big Bore Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Savage XL with 8 Big Bore Shocks

Anyone else running 8 Big Bore shocks on a Savage XL? I've been snapping rods left and right on the stock shocks. I bought 8 Big Bores for $68 with the intent of using 4 on my brushless XL and 4 on my nirtro XL. I put 4 on the brushless and it seemed to sit a bit low and was squishy. Putting all the preloads on helped a little but it was still bottoming out on large jumps.

I installed 4 on the rear and kept two in the front due to the steering turnbuckle but it was still bottoming out on large jumps in the front. So, I put the other two on the front. I had to mod them by putting the rubber stops from the stock savage shock on to keep the spring up out of the way of the turnbuckle. It worked well so I decided to put them on all 8 of the shocks to help give some cushion and keep them from "going all the way". This thing is now a beast on jumps. There is no chance of bottoming out and all the squishiness is gone. A couple shots below.
Attached Thumbnails Savage XL with 8 Big Bore Shocks-101_0575.jpg   Savage XL with 8 Big Bore Shocks-101_0573.jpg   Savage XL with 8 Big Bore Shocks-101_0583.jpg   Savage XL with 8 Big Bore Shocks-101_0571.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

So...that's a no then.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You could have ran 4 if you tuned them correctly....heavier springs and heavier oil would have accomplished what you wanted.....
Old 11-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

I like the 8 stock shocks with the stock spacers in place. That's cool you got it dialed!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by proraptor
You could have ran 4 if you tuned them correctly....heavier springs and heavier oil would have accomplished what you wanted.....
Yeah, that's what I figured. However, they are stock and all I have is 20wt oil for now. I've got some heavier oil on the way. I'll look at HD springs though, thanks for that suggestion. What springs would you suggest? The ones that come on them are #86551 SHOCK SPRING 18x80x1.8mm 14.5 COILS (PINK 134gF/mm) Yellow or red maybe? Lots of big jumps and hard landings are the norm so I'd think one of those two would be good. Just want to get some idea before I pull the trigger. What about oil weight?

Last edited by messiah1; 11-15-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: info
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Get the red springs and run 35w in all 4, if that doesnt stop your bottoming out then 8 of the big bores with this setup should be more then enough. Softer tire setups can help too.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by n2trouble
Get the red springs and run 35w in all 4, if that doesnt stop your bottoming out then 8 of the big bores with this setup should be more then enough. Softer tire setups can help too.
Sweet. I had already ordered the 35w oil and I just picked up 8 of the red springs. Hopefully this solves it and I can go back to 4 on the brushless and 4 on the nitro. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Bottoming out is not a bad thing. You want the truck to bottom out to a point. Put those red springs on with 35 wt oil and try it out. Go off the biggest jump you go off and if the truck lands nice and barely just bottoms out its a perfect setup. You dont want your truck to slap super hard when landing but if it bottoms out a bit thats good.

The problem I see with most bashers is they get the heaviest spring made for their truck and put in heavy oil and they arent getting use of all their suspension because of this. If you go too heavy on the springs and oil you are putting way too much stress on the a arms and shocks tower and will be breaking them most likely not to mention arent getting use of all your suspension travel.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by proraptor
Bottoming out is not a bad thing. You want the truck to bottom out to a point. Put those red springs on with 35 wt oil and try it out. Go off the biggest jump you go off and if the truck lands nice and barely just bottoms out its a perfect setup. You dont want your truck to slap super hard when landing but if it bottoms out a bit thats good.

The problem I see with most bashers is they get the heaviest spring made for their truck and put in heavy oil and they arent getting use of all their suspension because of this. If you go too heavy on the springs and oil you are putting way too much stress on the a arms and shocks tower and will be breaking them most likely not to mention arent getting use of all your suspension travel.
I see what you are saying. I was literally hitting the skid plates on the ground more often than not and was getting worried that it was going to harm the shafts. I thought the 35wt would be good with the red springs and anything above that would be overkill. Once I get everything I'll report back. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Im running the stock springs with 35 wt oil but Im not jumping over houses or anything. Works great for me
Old 11-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by messiah1
Anyone else running 8 Big Bore shocks on a Savage XL? I've been snapping rods left and right on the stock shocks. I bought 8 Big Bores for $68 with the intent of using 4 on my brushless XL and 4 on my nirtro XL. I put 4 on the brushless and it seemed to sit a bit low and was squishy. Putting all the preloads on helped a little but it was still bottoming out on large jumps.

I installed 4 on the rear and kept two in the front due to the steering turnbuckle but it was still bottoming out on large jumps in the front. So, I put the other two on the front. I had to mod them by putting the rubber stops from the stock savage shock on to keep the spring up out of the way of the turnbuckle. It worked well so I decided to put them on all 8 of the shocks to help give some cushion and keep them from "going all the way". This thing is now a beast on jumps. There is no chance of bottoming out and all the squishiness is gone. A couple shots below.
Those are considered "big bore" shocks? Should have done what a few Savage owners do and install LST shocks.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Those are considered "big bore" shocks? Should have done what a few Savage owners do and install LST shocks.
Yes, they are big bore shocks. They are about double the size of the stock shocks. The LST shock mod requires extra mounts where these fit stock. I've ordered stiffer springs and heavier oil and all should be well.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Sorted

My stiffer springs came on Saturday and I'm happy to report that switching the pink ones out with the red and changing the oil to 35wt did the trick. The truck sits good with just four shocks and landings off the top of a 25ft dirt mound are absorbed well with the nitro and the brushless XLs. That's using the stock Terra Pins on both as they are nice and cushioned compared to the Big Joe's I was using.

On another note: my 5 year old son launched the nitro up the mound about 10 feet higher than the lip. He went crazy and said "Dad! Did you see that?!" "Yes son, yes I did."

Last edited by messiah1; 11-21-2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: info
Old 01-10-2015, 12:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Old Thread, Same situation

I'm going to to with 8 big bore. Heres where i'm going with this.
Physics alone tells me that double the dampening is a good thing. It's the tuning that i'm more concerned about.
I run at a local mountain bike park, and skate parks. Big jumps. Huge air, and the constant possibility of breaking something. This is not a race truck, it doesnt have to handle awesome, it has to hit big jumps without bottoming out *while maintaining as much suspension travel as possible*. I do understand that it is important to utilize maximum travel. I drive this thing hard. I've already bent the stock 2.5mm TVP's and have the TCS XL 5mm plates on the way.

Im thinking that i'll stand up the outer (closest to bumpers) and lay down the inner shocks(closest to battery box).

Put white springs on the outer 4, and red on the inner 4 to start with. This may be too much, but I'm going to find out how it goes. Having the stiffer springs on the inner shocks should still compress fairly easily because they are leaning inward, but should help with body roll. I would appreciate any links anyone has with regards to running 8 shocks on a savage.

The stock suspension is just too soft, i'm hitting the ground most of the time, and i've already bent the stock TVP's. The replacements will be more than twice as heavy as stock.

I like the bump stop idea for the front. I'm going to try that out too. I'd also like to get rid of the smaller springs on the top, and lift the ride height quite a bit.

Any help or words of experience are greatly appreciated. I'll update my progress here. Currently waiting for parts.