Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attention LST2 Tramsission Experts....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Default LST2 Transmission and Diff Questions

So I took my second LST2 out today, after putting Terra Pins on to see if would run.. It did - Big Red was going well, etc.. BUT, it kept shifting into neutral. It has an XXL transmission, but I took the reverse servo and linkage out.. I got frustrated and mangled the little plastic bit that the servo arm thing should connect to. I tried to zip-tie the arm to the rear, to keep it in gear.. But I think I pulled it too hard, then it was just in neutral. I've gone and torn down the whole tranny now. Seems to work, but dunno' for sure.. Should I put the reverse servo back in or what? Haven't re-installed the tranny for now, but am wary about doing so in case it's still gonna have some issues.. Anyway, what to do? Thanks..

ps I have the original LST2 transmission, as well as a gear-flipped AS tranny. I want the XXL gearing though..

pps Would like to have reverse I guess, but not all that much.. Would sacrifice it if nec to just get it running as simply as possible..

Last edited by Herrsavage; 11-01-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Expansion of range of questions
Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

There is a kit that you can get that converts it to forward only but thats if you are racing or just have absoultely no need for reverse. I'm not sure if you are racing or not but if you are just bashing I would keep the reverse servo in. There are some times obsticles that you may run into in the distance where reverse may be useful.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Another option is to take the plastic piece that connects to the knob on the tranny to the metal rod connecting to the servo, and remove it from the rod and put it on the switch on the tranny. Then make sure it is in the forward mode(Should be pointing toward the left back wheel) and a dab of hot glue on it. The reason it is slipping into neutral is because that switch to put it in forward and reverse is very lose and will wobble out of place when you go around a turn.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks a lot.. Sounds like you know exactly what the problem is.. Don't quite understand what you're saying there though.. Right now I have it all back together, but I'm worried about it slipping out again and having to go re-take everything out.. So I want to get a solid fix before reassembling everything..

Seems that reinstalling the servo would be easiest.. I did bore out the hole in the swinging arm thing though, for a zip-tie(which I was going to tie to the pipe spring..) So I hope that doesn't screw things up to..

Not racing btw.. Do have Muggy shocks on it, 17mm hubs, wing, sway bars, etc., but gave up running truggy tires cuz the 2-speed would just NEVER work. I tried three different ones, and this is the third tranny..

Good god - been running truggies and buggies and my SC8 a lot these last couple years.. Forget what a real PIA wrenching on an MT is like.. Getting to the tranny(skid plate off..), getting the tranny out, then taking the tranny screws out..(what, 9?..) is a lot compared to wrenching on those others...
Old 10-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

I wonder if maybe my initial solution of tying the arm back to the pipe spring or something was right, and that I just botched it up by pulling too hard - which I guess would have pulled the internal metal part that fits in the shaft too far over, disengaging the whole tranny?.. Maybe try it with some string or wire or something?..
Old 10-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Just the slightest turn of the dial to make it shift will make it go into neutral. I reccomend trying to tie a zip tie to the plastic lever in the picture below

Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

That's what I did while I was out running. But I overtightened it, so that inside the tranny that dumb little metal piece came out of place.., leaving it in permanent neutral..

Can't decide if I should just jerry-rig it, maybe super-glue the arm in place, or.., put in the whole servo, etc.. The problem is, while out trying to sort it out in a parking lot yesterday, I mangled the little plastic part the arm fits over.. So the connection is not really clean.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
So I took my second LST2 out today, after putting Terra Pins on to see if would run.. It did - Big Red was going well, etc.. BUT, it kept shifting into neutral. It has an XXL transmission, but I took the reverse servo and linkage out.. I got frustrated and mangled the little plastic bit that the servo arm thing should connect to. I tried to zip-tie the arm to the rear, to keep it in gear.. But I think I pulled it too hard, then it was just in neutral. I've gone and torn down the whole tranny now. Seems to work, but dunno' for sure.. Should I put the reverse servo back in or what? Haven't re-installed the tranny for now, but am wary about doing so in case it's still gonna have some issues.. Anyway, what to do? Thanks..

ps I have the original LST2 transmission, as well as a gear-flipped AS tranny. I want the XXL gearing though..

pps Would like to have reverse I guess, but not all that much.. Would sacrifice it if nec to just get it running as simply as possible..
I dont think its shifting into neutral , I bet the one way bearing in the 2 speed is slipping . When it slips does it kick back into gear after the motor idles down ?

Once the 2 speed hub wears down it gets worse , after mine would get some heat in it the slipping would stop .
Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Near brand-new tranny and 2-speed. Definitely not a slipping issue.

It's the stupid little de-linking mechanism inside the tranny. Actually, the stupid part is that the mechanism is controlled by a flimsy little piece of plastic outside, and that it was so easily shifted out of place when I tried to ziptie it.

Yesterday while running, it would go in a straight line, then when I went to turn around and come back, it would go into neutral. So I'd have to walk over, and push the lever towards the back.

I know this is crazy, I've been running LST2's forever, and should know this. But my 1st LST2 has always had reverse just like stock, and with this second one, I started out with an Aftershock transmission which I gear-flipped. I DID have OWB slippage issues from running small truggy tires. But this now is not a slippage issue. In fact, when engaged, the truck was shredding pretty nicely. Dynamite Big Red and Terra-Pins, and it was wheelying with authority.. - moreso than in my basher with the heavier stock LST2 wheels and tires...

I just forgot all about the FOC thing, and had thought you can just remove the servo and forget reverse after I threw in an XXL tranny. Wrong..

Now I'm just kind of worried about jerry-rigging it and having to go back and take everything out again.. Kind of a PIA to get the tranny out and apart and back together and back in...
Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Tech Champion

Well, I put everything back in like normal, including the servo. Seems to hold pretty well..

Additional note to self - overtightened some screws on the tranny itself, cracking the housing.. Keep an eye on...
Old 10-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Rrrrippin' like Scotty Pippin...

All good..
Old 10-31-2011, 05:09 AM
Tech Champion

New Question.. I just decided to spruce things up a bit, and noticed some slop in the front diff. So, went and got a new XXL diff I've got, switched the driveshafts over, filled the diff with 10,000, and noticed the XXL has totally different diff cups.

Are they good? And I assume the diffs themselves are the same? Still have the OG LST2 diff in the rear..
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

The XXL diffs come stock with HD differential cups and HD differential outdrives. They are far superior to the ones that came wwith the LST2 (especially the diff cups). IMO they are just as good, if not better, than the fully metal diff cups you can buy. Shim them properly, and don't do donuts, and they will last a long time (with 40K or less oil in them).

LST2 diff cups LOSB 3537
XXL diff cups LOSB 3528

The main difference is the metal inserts that that insert into the side of the cups which house the pins for the planetary gears. This prevents the the cup from rounding out like this:

This is compared tot he HD cup which looks like this without the metal inserts.

Diagram:

This was a rolling upgrade that Losi did with the XXL so the early ones have regular cups (and outdrives). Thus, when you buy diffs on ebay make sure they come out of a newer XXL for the best possible purcahse.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Well I never really had problems with my LST2 diffs - and they have lots and lots of fuel and bashing through them..(especially my first LST2 - this is my second one I've been talking about here..) Thanks though. Just wanted to be sure the gearing isn't somehow different or whatever..

Anyway - new problem.. I took it out again yesterday, ran a couple tanks through, and noticed nearly every screw had backed out from the front skid plate? WTH is that all about?..

Here's a short clip btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeBRnW1ct-c
Old 11-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Tech Champion

Next question: some people in the past have talked about using the LRP 30 truggy version instead of the pullstart version, and putting a Rotostart backplate on it, because the truggy version has more power or something. What parts are needed? Does the truggy version conrod have the pin on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.