Wiki Posts
Search

Cooling fan for nitro engines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Cooling fan for nitro engines?

I was wondering if anyone has used a brushless can type fan on their nitro motors? I know you can tune it properly to keep the temps down, but when it is 95 degrees out and 90+ percent humidity...
Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Same temps and humidity here in the middle of summer. I run normal temps racing tank after tank (230-250's) coming off the track.

It's all in your tune, what kind of fuel you use and what kind of plug you run. You should not have to use any kind of a cooling fan on a cooling head.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by got_nitro
Same temps and humidity here in the middle of summer. I run normal temps racing tank after tank (230-250's) coming off the track.

It's all in your tune, what kind of fuel you use and what kind of plug you run. You should not have to use any kind of a cooling fan on a cooling head.
I dont have a temp gun to check the temps, but guys working at my LHS say the tune is perfect. I guess it just seems to get hotter than it should. Maybe I am just not used to nitro motors. This is my first nitro (everything else is EP) so I am still trying to figure this stuff out.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rpeker
I dont have a temp gun to check the temps, but guys working at my LHS say the tune is perfect. I guess it just seems to get hotter than it should. Maybe I am just not used to nitro motors. This is my first nitro (everything else is EP) so I am still trying to figure this stuff out.
If you have a nice smoke trail on throttle and it's making nice power all over the RPM range you don't need a temp gun either. You don't need a temp gun even if it's not making nice power, just need to work on the tune. What kind of engine is it if you don't mind?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 AM
Tech Regular

It is the stock 3.3 TRX motor. I am performing the break-in right now because it just got a new piston and sleeve about 1 tank ago.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It is the stock 3.3 TRX motor. I am performing the break-in right now because it just got a new piston and sleeve about 1 tank ago.
Ah! That says it all right there. I was into nitro for a long time, never had an issue with any motor except Traxxas ones. My 3.3 would not run for crap if it was under 280. It actually loved to run right around 300, and there was a nice thick smoke trail btw. If I tried to cool it down with the tune, it would bog out and have no power. I said screw it and ran it where it liked to be run. It will still run just fine, I've just gotten myself about 98percent out of nitro at this point.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Rookie

yea my trx 3.3 failed on the 10th tank due to inner bearing failure. Replaced it with an os 21TM and never looked back.

Things to look out for when tuning an engine.

1. Good Smoke trail through all power bands but never boggy.
2. Consistent performance from a full tank to 1/4 of a tank.
3. When idling or going from full throttle to idle your idle should never sound inconsistent or gurgle really loudly/rpm keeps bouncing around. Should never sound like this when idling. youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fWvlEAWVBEM#t=163s
4. put a drop of spit on your engine cooling head, if it turns to steam instantly then you are running a bit hot.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the tips all. I guess if the motor likes running hot, then so be it.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Next time for a few bucks more a much better engine could be had. Even a traxxas ERP would have cost you about the same if not less and you would have had a brand new everything.