Brushless Converted T-Maxx

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Converted T-Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey all, been following this thread, and thought i would share my setup since you guys kind of inspired me. Here are some shots of my setup. How2rc mount, and Hobby Wing 120a esc, 2700kv motor, 54 spur, 19 pinion, single speed, and reverse eliminator kit. Its an old 2.5, and been sitting on a shelf in the garage for about 10 years. Decided to convert it after getting my son a Stampede vxl for Christmas. Still not exactly how i would like it but it works for now.
Attached Thumbnails Brushless Converted T-Maxx-imag0245.jpg   Brushless Converted T-Maxx-imag0248.jpg   Brushless Converted T-Maxx-imag0252.jpg  
Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080
The center to rear driveshaft takes a beating. The center set should be replaced first. I haven't had any issues with the ones from the diffs to the wheels. In fact I'm pretty sure they are still the factory ones that came with the truck when I bought it new over a year and a half ago.

Doh! moment, you have a 2.5, I have the 3.3 truck with the revo spec axles. So yours may infact need beefing up.
I found a good center CVD kit for the 2.5 for around $40. I was wondering if the revo/3.3 p/n 5451R cvd kit will work with the T-Maxx 2.5 non optidrive. The diff's and a-arms are the same so I don't see why not.

Originally Posted by popjupiter21060
Hey all, been following this thread, and thought i would share my setup since you guys kind of inspired me. Here are some shots of my setup. How2rc mount, and Hobby Wing 120a esc, 2700kv motor, 54 spur, 19 pinion, single speed, and reverse eliminator kit. Its an old 2.5, and been sitting on a shelf in the garage for about 10 years. Decided to convert it after getting my son a Stampede vxl for Christmas. Still not exactly how i would like it but it works for now.

Thanks for following the thread, hopefully it will become the official thread. Nice ET-MAXX you got built, I can't wait to start bashing mine. How well does your battery stay in, can you post a pic of it installed so I can get some ideas for my build. Once I get my parts I ordered I will post pics of my truck and let everyone know how the RX8 2000kv tears up the neighborhood.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redskull1944
I found a good center CVD kit for the 2.5 for around $40. I was wondering if the revo/3.3 p/n 5451R cvd kit will work with the T-Maxx 2.5 non optidrive. The diff's and a-arms are the same so I don't see why not.
Good deal, I still gotta get a center cvd setup. And yeah I agree, there should be no reason the cvd kit wouldnt work in your truck if you already have the wide arms. Only thing that may be different is if you have the older style knuckles, it would most likely use different sized bearings. Quick look at the exploded views on the Traxxas site will answer that tho.

Thanks for following the thread, hopefully it will become the official thread. Nice ET-MAXX you got built, I can't wait to start bashing mine. How well does your battery stay in, can you post a pic of it installed so I can get some ideas for my build. Once I get my parts I ordered I will post pics of my truck and let everyone know how the RX8 2000kv tears up the neighborhood.

Looks like he's got the good heavy duty style velcro. Probably work fine until the truck rolls, unless he has a strap we don't see. If there isn't one, I would recommend a strap to really hold it down to the chassis.

The RX8 is gonna be sick in the truck. I have an RX8 setup in my short course, so powerful yet so smooth, it's insane. If you haven't already, get the Hotwire, it is so worth it.

I've been keeping quiet about my truck cause I am kinda going to clone it lol. I have sooo many spare parts I basically have a half 2.5, half 3.3 roller without a trans. Going to do a dual build. My 3.3 is going the FLM route, and I'm also working on putting together a GorillaMaxx G2 E-Maxx. So far I have two parts to the chassis out of four. I have the main chassis plate, and the rear upper chassis plate, gotta find the x braces (I may die before finding these it seems) and the front top plate. If I can't find em, I'll be making them.

Should be fun :sarcasm:
Old 01-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by popjupiter21060
Very nice, maybe you can post some pix of the whole package. What is the average temp of your motor with that gear set up? What kind of speeds are you reaching?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Good deal, I still gotta get a center cvd setup. And yeah I agree, there should be no reason the cvd kit wouldnt work in your truck if you already have the wide arms. Only thing that may be different is if you have the older style knuckles, it would most likely use different sized bearings. Quick look at the exploded views on the Traxxas site will answer that tho.

Looks like he's got the good heavy duty style velcro. Probably work fine until the truck rolls, unless he has a strap we don't see. If there isn't one, I would recommend a strap to really hold it down to the chassis.

The RX8 is gonna be sick in the truck. I have an RX8 setup in my short course, so powerful yet so smooth, it's insane. If you haven't already, get the Hotwire, it is so worth it.

I've been keeping quiet about my truck cause I am kinda going to clone it lol. I have sooo many spare parts I basically have a half 2.5, half 3.3 roller without a trans. Going to do a dual build. My 3.3 is going the FLM route, and I'm also working on putting together a GorillaMaxx G2 E-Maxx. So far I have two parts to the chassis out of four. I have the main chassis plate, and the rear upper chassis plate, gotta find the x braces (I may die before finding these it seems) and the front top plate. If I can't find em, I'll be making them.

My ET-MAXX is not the old narrow style just the 2.5 non optidrive that is still for sale. The driveshafts are different they do not have the blue boot and they are just like the slash/stampede driveshafts. I might just spend $10 on a 3.3 blue boot driveshaft to check fitment before I spend $50+ on the traxxas cvd's but like we both said fitment should not be an issue.

The batteries are my next concern. I bought the ofna battery straps and I was going to glue down some foam and do the velcro on the foam. I shouldn't have any issues but a battery tray would be ideal.

I can't wait to get the rx8 setup installed and going, it's going to be sick. I have the hot wire and almost all the wiring soldered in. I have not heard anything bad about the RX8 and I'm glad I went with it. My buddy put one in a kyosho inferno conversion and that thing was stupid fast and like you said smooth. I'm half tempted to put it in my slash and run it with a 3s lol.

Get with Dr Static, he has some FLM parts for sale or trade. Here is a link to his thread, he has more that's listed just shoot him a pm he's a good seller.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...arts-more.html
You should post some pics of your rides, they sound like some sick builds you have planned.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys, Here is a little video I made on my conversion. Hope you like. Big ups to "sloracer1080" and everyone in this forum for keeping the T alive!!!!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (98%+)
Default Great Job Brother

So what gearing did you start out with>>>RESULTS>? what ratio did you end up with in the end? and lastly, How does it shift into second? did you have to do alot of adjustments?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by toyspd
Very nice, maybe you can post some pix of the whole package. What is the average temp of your motor with that gear set up? What kind of speeds are you reaching?
I am using some really heavy industrial velcro type stuff, its called Dual Lock made by 3M. Its a heavy plastic that sticks to its self, not like regular velcro. It will actually pull the sticky backing off if i try to pull it straight off. I used this stuff to hold the esc, esc on/off switch, relocated the receiver box, and to hold the battery down. It was only supposed to be temporary for the battery hold down but works really well. I wanted to use a battery tray similar to SloRacer 1080.

I don't really know what the temps are, nothing seems to be getting warm to the touch so far. That might be different if i run a 3s, or 4s battery. Only running 2s thus far. Speed seems to be good. I would like a little more top end though. The truck will wheelie when it gets traction. Only have gravel driveway to run on.
Attached Thumbnails Brushless Converted T-Maxx-imag0253.jpg   Brushless Converted T-Maxx-imag0254.jpg   Brushless Converted T-Maxx-imag0256.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Here is a couple more. Sorry i found out you can't upload pictures larger than 2 MB.
Attached Thumbnails Brushless Converted T-Maxx-imag0257.jpg   Brushless Converted T-Maxx-imag0258.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RahjahDat
So what gearing did you start out with>>>RESULTS>? what ratio did you end up with in the end? and lastly, How does it shift into second? did you have to do alot of adjustments?
Thanks.
I first used my original 72t spur gear and 19t pinion, I ran it with my phone onboard with a speedometer app. It ran 22mph with 4s lipo. It had so much torque I had to feather the throttle to get it going. Then I changed the pinion to a 21t, and got it up to 27mph top speed. I plan in changing the spur to a 66t but I have to redo my motor mount because the diameter of the 66t is smaller. Oh and as far as the tranny goes. I removed the reverse and 2nd speed and did a single speed conversion kit. It is best to remove the 2 speed set up because you would have a less chance of stripping the gears. The single speed conversion beefs up the gears a little. The 2 kits cost me around $25 bucks.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by toyspd
Thanks.
I first used my original 72t spur gear and 19t pinion, I ran it with my phone onboard with a speedometer app. It ran 22mph with 4s lipo. It had so much torque I had to feather the throttle to get it going. Then I changed the pinion to a 21t, and got it up to 27mph top speed. I plan in changing the spur to a 66t but I have to redo my motor mount because the diameter of the 66t is smaller. Oh and as far as the tranny goes. I removed the reverse and 2nd speed and did a single speed conversion kit. It is best to remove the 2 speed set up because you would have a less chance of stripping the gears. The single speed conversion beefs up the gears a little. The 2 kits cost me around $25 bucks.
I was debating to go with 19, 21, & 23 or 21, 23, & 25 to play with. I might go with the 21-25T since I have 68-72 spurs to play with. I really want 35-40mph and I know my torque will be fine.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Tech Regular

Still waiting on my forward only conversion that I ordered from tower in the middle of December. I should just bite the bullet and buy another one and call my ET-Maxx complete
Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Still waiting on my forward only conversion that I ordered from tower in the middle of December. I should just bite the bullet and buy another one and call my ET-Maxx complete
Ouch, that sucks. I see you're in Japan, explains the long shipping. Are there no hobby shops nearby? I mean come on, you're in Japan! They gotta have something there lol
Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Ouch, that sucks. I see you're in Japan, explains the long shipping. Are there no hobby shops nearby? I mean come on, you're in Japan! They gotta have something there lol
It's all tamiya, kyosho, and streetjam out here. It's 98% drifter stuff and 2% 1/10th nitro. They do not sell any traxxas out here. The Japanese tend to buy Japanese and frown on those who deal with non-Japanese products.

There is a bad ass hobby shop out here and it has 3 drift tracks.

The shipping is usually quick out here but with the combination of Christmas and the incompetence of USPS I half expected a delay.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

I just reordered it on sunday so hopefully it will show up today or tomorrow in the mail. I also ordered the center CVDs with it. I want to go pick out my paint this weekend at the modelers store. They have the largest selection of tamiya paint on the island. Any color ideas for my 1980 chevy 1500? I was thinking that chevy dark red or that chevy piss yellow with off white

*correction, the original one I ordered came in today almost 2 months later

Last edited by redskull1944; 02-02-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: correction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.