Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mgt 8.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default mgt 8.0

I need some feed back about my mgt 8.0 ..every time I take off the front tires start burning out while the rear seem to be locking up and sometimes just drag. I'm think possible transmission problems? ?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Most likely your rear differential is shot and not pulling. Sounds like it could possibly have even sheared the pin in the rear center CVD if it drags sometimes. Its definately not a transmission problem. Take your rear differential out, pull it apart and see what the gears look like, as well as the rear center shaft coming off of the transmission.

Eric
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Rookie

I pulled the rear diff apart and everything looks good no broken teeth or no metal shavings. What's the cvd new to the nitros.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Initiate

check the pins that connect the dog bone to your axels (rear) and also check the pins that connect the rear drive shaft( the shaft coming off the transmission. there is a pin screw(set screw) that holds the drive cup to the tranny, and also a pin holds the drive cup to the drive shaft. the pin screw(set screw) needs to be loctited or it will fall out all the time. My first hunch is the set screw has fallen out

edit: I just re-read your post that the rear would lock up. so my fixes prolly arent the problem, because the wheels would more than likely roll if that were the problem. check them anyway. might be a tranny prob
Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I thought it would be the rear differential if the wheels were locking up. If the wheels are locking up, something has to be binding.

Definately check what montana MGT said though. If it is only pulling with the front wheels and the rear differential looks good, then it has to be that a grub screw has fallen out of the center rear driveshaft, or possibly even the grub screws that hold the pins in one of the axle shafts has fallen out allowing the pin to come out and bind at times? Just check everything the the rear driveline.

CVD- Constant Velocity Drive (or driveshaft). This is the part of the shaft that allows it to pivot/angle like for steering, or dropping down from the center transmission to the differentials. The center shafts have a dogbone on the differential side, and a CVD on the other side. The wheel axles are the same.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did you put the rear diff in backwards? I have seen this happen before!