Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
lst xl or hpi savage x ss 4.6 kit with spectrum dx3s? >

lst xl or hpi savage x ss 4.6 kit with spectrum dx3s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lst xl or hpi savage x ss 4.6 kit with spectrum dx3s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default support

[QUOTE=ntrain42;9205372]A. Are we talking about the Losi XXL you picked out or the Aftershock?

If we are talking about the Aftershock, I personally wouldn't recommend it. You would be putting in too much money after the fact to get it up to snuff with the XXL.

the losi XXL, in never contemplated the aftershock
but the replacement parts support is also almost zero (at the closer LHS the sales guy said they will discontinued all losi and are selling of all parts at 25% discount)!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danih
Originally Posted by ntrain42
A. Are we talking about the Losi XXL you picked out or the Aftershock?
If we are talking about the Aftershock, I personally wouldn't recommend it. You would be putting in too much money after the fact to get it up to snuff with the XXL.

the losi XXL, in never contemplated the aftershock
but the replacement parts support is also almost zero (at the closer LHS the sales guy said they will discontinued all losi and are selling of all parts at 25% discount)!!!!
Ah ok, honestly, I wouldnt worry about it, the parts support for the LST lineup is impressive, again the links I gave to you are all major suppliers of Losi parts. ANd if you plan to keep it relatively stock, just grab a few extra key spare parts from Jennysrc on Ebay for dirtcheap money. There are very few things you need to do(and set correctly) to get it bullitproof(which might not even be needed, unless your jumping 40 foot gravel heaps), both my LHS's(which are also distributors for various parts as well)locally sell and also custom mfg. parts for the LST lineup and regardless I still buy most parts online since its normally cheaper anyway with shipping. Key thing to start off with the XXL is to check the shimming on the diff and make sure the slipper/OWB is setup properly and not loaded with excess lube. Beyond that, it all depends on how hard you bash or race if any upgraded parts are needed/recommended. It doesn't need much to get it to its full potential in terms of ruggedness, and its handling and power out of the box is unmatched.

Also, not sure what your LHS sells those LST XXL's, but you can find em in the US for around 575-599 currently USD.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Montana MGT
so you bought a truck after looking at ntalkers' pics of a truck that doesn't even exist. if it did, there would probably be video footage of it, and the awesomeness it possesses. but since there's not after many asking for it, they are just stolen pics from the web that he posted, clearly. My barely modded MGT would own that little boys wanna be lst. and I'll show ya video to prove it. have fun with your truck
actually u are wrong my friend.. i have been to ntrains house myself, i just bought a losi xxl off of him, and when i went there, he had both of these treucks scattered all over his kitchen and living room as he was in the process of building them with all the parts pictured.. sorry had to correct u on that lol
Old 06-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shizcol
actually u are wrong my friend.. i have been to ntrains house myself, i just bought a losi xxl off of him, and when i went there, he had both of these treucks scattered all over his kitchen and living room as he was in the process of building them with all the parts pictured.. sorry had to correct u on that lol
LOL! Shawn, don't even waste your time with this hillbilly, LOL! This is the type of dribble he likes to PM to the "Losi fans" below.......

Originally Posted by Montana MGT
you homos would be all over my nutts like the losi fan fags you are. let's see your vids now. quit posting others people mediocre-shitty vids......
Quite the bigot too. Im sure there are a few people on this forum who would be offended with this type of cr@p. One of my next door neighbors and good friend is a 1st war Iraq Marine vet, and he is openly gay. Classiest guy I know, and if he lived next to this trash spewing punk he would have him stuffed 2 feet underground without thinking twice.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default sold

I am sold, i just have to wait till they get them in stock
by the way here they run for 669 $canadian. I am not sure of the shipping handling and customs i would be charged above your US price so i prefer to wait
Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

I am sold, i just have to wait till they get them in stock
by the way here they run for 669 $canadian. I am not sure of the shipping handling and customs i would be charged above your US price so i prefer to wait
Yeah, its a great buy and a fantastic bang for the buck. And the availability of "hop up" parts is near endless.

$669 Canadian sounds like a great price(not sure what the currency exchange rate is at the moment)too. Look at it this way, you get a top tier $250 Spektrum tx/rx set, a pair of good quality rebadged JR 650 digital servos(About 40-50 a piece)for steering(150oz of torque each roughly), a $175 rebadged LRP spec3 engine, a REAL tuned header/pipe($50)that actually makes great power and is a great match for the spec3 motor, and a very good quality Losi spinstarter($40-50) included. So your basically paying 50-75 bucks for the actual roller itself if you bought all this stuff seperately. Just follow the simple guidelines on checking the shimming in the diffs and setting up the slipper right and the performance of the XXL will reward you with alot of enjoyment.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Thanks for the post OP

Great topic thanks danih. I came across it tonight after I googled Savage vs XXL.

This thread was perfect to help me make a decision on my first truck. (i'm a total newb) I was undecided as well between the Savage X 4.6 or the Losi XXL. I have yet to see one in person, but after reasearch I feel that the Savage is like an american car and the XXL is like an Audi. After reading this thread I'm sure of it. The XXL just seems like its more thought out. The price tag is a bit high but you are getting a better product which makes up for the cost. Here in Toronto the Savage is $499 and the XXL $649. The radio makes up for the price difference alone.

Thanks to Ntrain for his POSITIVE advice as opposed to some of the other posters who seem to just want to promote their truck without proving why its better.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I actually think Savages are fun to drive - it's a challenge keeping them upright. Like an old mucle-car - all image and zero handling.. But yeah, they have a certain something. Had mine stayed in one piece and not been such a PIA, my comments would be more favorable. My main gripe was part quality and the drivetrain - less the handling, and I'm not completely convinced it was just down to me having a lemon - all kinds of guys in the various MT forums have problems with exploding tranny gears, diffs, etc.. Not a truck IMO you can get five more-or-less problem free gallons out of.. - at least if you're a WOT junkie like I am..

Fave old pic of mine.. - this was after max three gallons..(maybe even less than two.. I don't keep precise track, and it was a long time ago.. I think this was due to riding too many wheelies.. Still, it was WAY too early to be seeing this kind of wear.. My LST2 has 10+ gallons on it and the original cups - no significant wear to speak of..)

Back in the day the knock on Savages was that you had to upgrade the HELL out of them to be able to take more powerful engines. The wear in those pics is from a lowly Axial 28. Now you have the Savage XL, which has an engine many consider to be subpar and problematic. So what do they do? Upgrade to better, more powerful engines.. Then you get the exploding tranny gears, etc.. Not saying the Savage totally sucks - it's OK. It's just lowish on quality compared to the Losi. And again, we're not even talking handling, speed, jumping, reverse, stock engine and radio, etc.. - just part quality..
Have to upgrade the diff cups...

lst xl or hpi savage x ss 4.6 kit with spectrum dx3s?-hpi86278-2.jpg
Old 06-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EN4CER
Great topic thanks danih. I came across it tonight after I googled Savage vs XXL.

This thread was perfect to help me make a decision on my first truck. (i'm a total newb) I was undecided as well between the Savage X 4.6 or the Losi XXL. I have yet to see one in person, but after reasearch I feel that the Savage is like an american car and the XXL is like an Audi. After reading this thread I'm sure of it. The XXL just seems like its more thought out. The price tag is a bit high but you are getting a better product which makes up for the cost. Here in Toronto the Savage is $499 and the XXL $649. The radio makes up for the price difference alone.

Thanks to Ntrain for his POSITIVE advice as opposed to some of the other posters who seem to just want to promote their truck without proving why its better.
No prob, and if you want to see whats available for aftermarket parts and what upgrade path you have with the XXL just check out this thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...ter-build.html

Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? and the trouble starts

Hi All who advised me to go for XXL
its been 3 weeks since i bought my XXL. Love it. No regrets. Although i have not driven it yet.
Since I got it, I barely had time to run it in.
I did 3 tanks. V rich. running low temps.
But....and here it comes. on my 4th tank. trying to tune I hit a major wall
Given this is my 1st nitro and I know nothing about tuning, still i am well versed in combustion engine mechanics and know the basics, which if I follow the guidelines in the manual should be achievable...right?

anyway, a couple of straight runs, the engine was not running fine. HSN too lean. I turn the engine off to cool it.
Tried starting it with the pull starter but it snaps and the cord is pulled out without returning.
Not a nice thing but i still had the roto starter which I was using most of the time
It frustrated me. I tried tuning further using the roto start only, but got annoyed by the cord and decided to pull the back plate to fix it hoping it was simple
why i loosened and took off the heat sink and plug top plate i don't know, but this is not the issue
I pulled the pull start plate to discover the spring has snapped!!!
Not being able to fix it, i put everything back on to continue tuning.
and here is the problem, the engine would not catch at all!!!!!
turing it with the roto start it just turned too easily
I noticed that fuel was not being pressured in
I tried everything possible. blowing the fuel it maybe it will catch, changed glow plugs, returned needles to factory settings....Nothing
2 significant points to note
A- when turning the engine, the characteristic "pomp pomp pomp" is noticeable at first, you can feel the pressure out of the pipe but as the engine is turned more, that "pomp pomp pomp" is not heard anymore and its as if the engine is turning freely without pressure
B- several times during the engine run in, when the engine would stop it would snap the pull start so hard the handle would bend. at times you can hear a clunk in the engine when turning. and this one time the engine would not even turn. I know it did not seize because wiggling the cord of the pull start a bit would get the piston free again. it later caught on normally

I called Horizon Hobby and they asked me to ship them the engine.
Living in Canada and not wanting to waste weeks, I took it back to my LHS where i bought it hoping they would fix it under warranty. but the guy responsible will not be back till saturday and in the meantime i am worried something in the engine broke.

Help me diagnose and advise me of a course of action

Many thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi All who advised me to go for XXL
its been 3 weeks since i bought my XXL. Love it. No regrets. Although i have not driven it yet.
Since I got it, I barely had time to run it in.
I did 3 tanks. V rich. running low temps.
But....and here it comes. on my 4th tank. trying to tune I hit a major wall
Given this is my 1st nitro and I know nothing about tuning, still i am well versed in combustion engine mechanics and know the basics, which if I follow the guidelines in the manual should be achievable...right?

anyway, a couple of straight runs, the engine was not running fine. HSN too lean. I turn the engine off to cool it.
Tried starting it with the pull starter but it snaps and the cord is pulled out without returning.
Not a nice thing but i still had the roto starter which I was using most of the time
It frustrated me. I tried tuning further using the roto start only, but got annoyed by the cord and decided to pull the back plate to fix it hoping it was simple
why i loosened and took off the heat sink and plug top plate i don't know, but this is not the issue
I pulled the pull start plate to discover the spring has snapped!!!
Not being able to fix it, i put everything back on to continue tuning.
and here is the problem, the engine would not catch at all!!!!!
turing it with the roto start it just turned too easily
I noticed that fuel was not being pressured in
I tried everything possible. blowing the fuel it maybe it will catch, changed glow plugs, returned needles to factory settings....Nothing
2 significant points to note
A- when turning the engine, the characteristic "pomp pomp pomp" is noticeable at first, you can feel the pressure out of the pipe but as the engine is turned more, that "pomp pomp pomp" is not heard anymore and its as if the engine is turning freely without pressure
B- several times during the engine run in, when the engine would stop it would snap the pull start so hard the handle would bend. at times you can hear a clunk in the engine when turning. and this one time the engine would not even turn. I know it did not seize because wiggling the cord of the pull start a bit would get the piston free again. it later caught on normally

I called Horizon Hobby and they asked me to ship them the engine.
Living in Canada and not wanting to waste weeks, I took it back to my LHS where i bought it hoping they would fix it under warranty. but the guy responsible will not be back till saturday and in the meantime i am worried something in the engine broke.

Help me diagnose and advise me of a course of action

Many thanks
i suggest that you should go back to your default setting in your engine w/ the HSN & LSN if you have touch your idle speed needle bring it back to default setting refer to your manual regarding how many no.of turns then after doing so try to start your engine then after you have started the engine then thats the time you can make adjustment by leaning your HSN & LSN.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bokol67
i suggest that you should go back to your default setting in your engine w/ the HSN & LSN if you have touch your idle speed needle bring it back to default setting refer to your manual regarding how many no.of turns then after doing so try to start your engine then after you have started the engine then thats the time you can make adjustment by leaning your HSN & LSN.
i took it to me LHS to tune with factory settings on LSN and HSN and he told me they are too rich. he almost doubled the turns on the HSN
it ran fine on the road. got it home to run it, it was too lean!!! same day couple of hours later. many are telling me that grass makes the engine run hot.. ok, but its running lean, that where the heat is coming from not the load
Old 07-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Initiate

using the pinch test, the engine now cuts off within 5-6 seconds with considerable rise in rpm... i still think its rich but i am comfortable with it rich at this point of life.
the problem is that the HSN is still lean after more than 1/3 turn of riching. the truck runs really well with good smoke trail. no more hesitation at throttle at all, and it even shifted to 2nd for the 1st time (got 80km/h on the telemetry) but it is still rising in temp.
mind you i started tuning when the engine was warm, and half way through tuning it was around 90 celcius, or 200 F
the problem is that when i richen the HSN more, it cuts and doesnt turn on easily.

i know i need to balance the HSN and LSN.
so should i lean the LSN more and richen the HSN?
or what?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

i took it to me LHS to tune with factory settings on LSN and HSN and he told me they are too rich. he almost doubled the turns on the HSN
it ran fine on the road. got it home to run it, it was too lean!!! same day couple of hours later. many are telling me that grass makes the engine run hot.. ok, but its running lean, that where the heat is coming from not the load
And how do you come to the conclusion that it was running lean? I hope not by temp..........
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ntrain42
And how do you come to the conclusion that it was running lean? I hope not by temp..........
the engine would lose breath midway,, hesitate because there was not enough fuel then pick up again once i ease of the throttle a bit and or keep the throttle pinned. temp immediately would spike confirming it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.