Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Ultimate LST XXL monster build! >

Ultimate LST XXL monster build!

Ultimate LST XXL monster build!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shizcol
looking good man. how much longer u got till its all done?
First truck(pictured)is done, posting pics up on it within the hour, then will be posting pics of second truck(done tonight,early mornin).
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Such a nice build man. Now when are you starting on mine?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

If you want to wire transfer me $1500, Ill do it anytime. Wouldnt you rather wrench your own ride anyway my friend?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah man for sure. Can't wait to get out of this country, get home, and start my own project
Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Yo ntrain, don't doubt Neal (Maximo) there. His engines are the shiz... Once my Vspec dies I will be getting one. He can do it for racing or all out power, and they will outperform almost any engine out there. The Piccos he does are beast! They are crazy! The LRPs are.... dissapointing to say the least. I had the .28 in my muggy and it was a huge waste of money.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

OK, here are more updates: Shocks, new parts spread out, and assembly. Tini shafts, hard anodized pivot balls, aluminum caps, hard anodized bodies, 35/45 weight oil, black/yellow Losi springs.

Right tool for the job.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

And then the completed chassis:

Old 04-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Wheels mounted: These are Cen Assault 23mm rims with Sniper tires. THey were dyed using RIT dye.

Test fitted with my new custom painted body.

Camber gauge and turnbuckle wrench to dial in the camber to -1 degree on all 4 corners.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

OK, now onto the rest of the install/upgrades. Tini spur/pinion combo, with a THREADED Losi clutch bell. 70/63-18/25 combo gears. I use the STOCK clutch pads(high friction better for brushless conversions).

Installed with the stock inner gear covere again dyed to match the rx box and fuel tank.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Muggydude
Yo ntrain, don't doubt Neal (Maximo) there. His engines are the shiz... Once my Vspec dies I will be getting one. He can do it for racing or all out power, and they will outperform almost any engine out there. The Piccos he does are beast! They are crazy! The LRPs are.... dissapointing to say the least. I had the .28 in my muggy and it was a huge waste of money.
I don't doubt the modded Clockwork engines are more powerful. I just question if its worth the extra $150ish roughly. How much power exactly is gained? Basically an engine that costs me $160 now doubles in cost in reality. So the bang for the buck I question a bit. What about long term durability? I am now on 8 plus gallons on one 454. Will I get that with a hot rodded Picco? More power means more wear and tear. One big question Im waiting to have answered is the crankshaft. Once its modded, is it rebalanced? Vibration is a concern of mine.

One thing I find, is that alot of people harp on the performance of some of the LRP engines, call em gas hogs, dissapointing power etc. But I see alot of threads and people who just run em too pig rich, worrying about temps being kept under 240-250 degrees. My 454 is really LEANED OUT(I run it as lean as possible, as long as there is a constant stream of smoke). Mine runs in the 300 degree range, and it has really good power. I still get a good constant trail of blue smoke at all throttle positions too, and I have quite a few gallons through mine and its still running tight and strong with no end in sight. The LRP .30x is the same, it likes to run real hot and its performance is a significant step over the 454.

Now the Picco I have I guess isnt fully broken in yet, so Im going to continue to run that see how she opens up after at least a gallon or 2.

I just may do a Clockwork Picco 28 and then compare to the stock one to see what double the cost gets me. I'm just teetering back n forth on the "bang for the buck" factor. The 454 itself is a hell of a bashing motor when tuned and geared right. And the LRP .30x still needs taming at the track and if Im not careful on the throttle will wheelie on command/demand if Im to careless with the trigger.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Absolutely I do things to help with engine vibration....

I Am not into hacking apart the internals of my modified engines... What needs to be modified is modified, and no extras for bling factor, no fancy polishing...just tried tested and true engine mods that substantially improve the power and RPM of the engine...on a Picco 28 we are not talking small gains, it is like night and day the difference between stock and modified...
Old 04-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

and here is a typical before and after mods dyno run

Old 04-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ntrain42
I don't doubt the modded Clockwork engines are more powerful. I just question if its worth the extra $150ish roughly. How much power exactly is gained? Basically an engine that costs me $160 now doubles in cost in reality. So the bang for the buck I question a bit. What about long term durability? I am now on 8 plus gallons on one 454. Will I get that with a hot rodded Picco? More power means more wear and tear. One big question Im waiting to have answered is the crankshaft. Once its modded, is it rebalanced? Vibration is a concern of mine.

One thing I find, is that alot of people harp on the performance of some of the LRP engines, call em gas hogs, dissapointing power etc. But I see alot of threads and people who just run em too pig rich, worrying about temps being kept under 240-250 degrees. My 454 is really LEANED OUT(I run it as lean as possible, as long as there is a constant stream of smoke). Mine runs in the 300 degree range, and it has really good power. I still get a good constant trail of blue smoke at all throttle positions too, and I have quite a few gallons through mine and its still running tight and strong with no end in sight. The LRP .30x is the same, it likes to run real hot and its performance is a significant step over the 454.

Now the Picco I have I guess isnt fully broken in yet, so Im going to continue to run that see how she opens up after at least a gallon or 2.

I just may do a Clockwork Picco 28 and then compare to the stock one to see what double the cost gets me. I'm just teetering back n forth on the "bang for the buck" factor. The 454 itself is a hell of a bashing motor when tuned and geared right. And the LRP .30x still needs taming at the track and if Im not careful on the throttle will wheelie on command/demand if Im to careless with the trigger.
your right about more power,rpm = more wear and tear on the motor. more power also means more wear and tear on the driveline.....if you got the cash its worth it. unless its breaking all the time.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

also, if your looking for a great modder state side, check out AB mods. they have some crazy engines.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

ntrain, that thing is amazingly awesome. ur truck looks so sick. the way it should be.. i like the colors. keep the pics coming bro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.