Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
looking to buy a new rc soon what should i do? >

looking to buy a new rc soon what should i do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

looking to buy a new rc soon what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shizcol
Those xxl trucks look good but the more I think about it the more I want a savage lol. Does the xxl wheelie alot? I like wheelies and such. I still got lots of time so I will see. But u guys are alot of help for sure keep it comin!

Well my E-LST XXL wheelies like a mad man. but my buddy's Savage with the extended FLM chassis would still out wheelie my nitro LST2 but I only have the LOSI 427 and HT pipe. And at the time both our trucks were set up for the track. Maybe with some suspension tuning I could get it to wheelie easier.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

yeah brushless stuff has intense power for wheelies my flux was insane
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Obviously you haven't seen my XXL. Not only does it handle like a good truggy, it looks like one as well.
I'm not doubting you, but to say a monster handles like a truggy if far fetched no matter how much money you put into it. But I will take your word.

On another note. Good call going with the savage shiz. That was my very first nitro truck. Absolutely tuff as nails. I can't even begin to explain how much he'll I put that thing through and it just came back for more. The only thing I ever broke on it was spur gears. To many landings at full throttle. The only bad thing I can say about it is when you have to work on it. The tvp plates make it near indestructable, but what a pain to work on compared to flat plate designed vehicles. And yes, it wheelies like crazy.
I was going to buy a buggy this year, but with all this talk about savages I just might have to get another one...get some traxxas sealed servos and find some mud
Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

well i heard that the new savage comes with watrproof servos but i might be wrong. not sure if there talkin about thi minis comin out or what but ive done my research on these savages as i do own the older version one at the moment but i cant find much on the new savages just yet. id like to kno more for sure. i think im gonna have to go with the new gt-3 savage i like the looks and whats being said about savages in general.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

well i heard that the new savage comes with watrproof servos but i might be wrong. not sure if there talkin about thi minis comin out or what but ive done my research on these savages as i do own the older version one at the moment but i cant find much on the new savages just yet. id like to kno more for sure. i think im gonna have to go with the new gt-3 savage i like the looks and whats being said about savages in general.
Ive heard alot about Savages too, then my LHS let me demo one for a week with significant upgrades done to it. Then I got a chance to demo out an MGT 8.0 and an XXL. I now own 2 LST XXL's. There isnt one thing a Savage does better, and its no more durable when its built up properly. THe biggest downer on the Savage to me was the very poor stability. I can rip down a street at 45mph on my XXL and take a hard corner and not worry about cartwheeling and flipping over. Same as well when off road. Its no fun having to chase down your vehicle to keep flipping it back up on its tires constantly.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

yea i hear that. dont get me wrong on the xxl i think its a amazing deal especially when u get that sick rx and tx and all and all the upgrades it comes with. but i dont know much about the losi trucks and i have read so much on the savages, i can get a set of 40 series bow ties and get some shorter shocks and i can do the fast turns also im sure. my old savage i had about 3 ys ago was set up nice and i was able to throw that thing hard in the turns, but im not doing any racing therefor i dont need the best truck for turns. im mostly playing in my back yard and in the pits. i run in the street but very rarely cause ive gotten rcs run over before lol.. my stupidity to be playing in a busy area but when u lve in the city its hard not to lol.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ive heard alot about Savages too, then my LHS let me demo one for a week with significant upgrades done to it. Then I got a chance to demo out an MGT 8.0 and an XXL.
WOW! That's awfully nice of them.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, one of the local guys here bought an XXL last Fri. and spent the weekend breaking it in. Monday afternoon he brought it out and started to thrash on it. It didn't take long before the motor brace let go. It looks very similar to the ones the original LSTs had so many problems with. It didn't seem to bounce the motor around enough to strip any gears, so he kept driving it. Then the front diff case split in two and that ended his day. He's got a vid he's going to put up on youtube when he gets more footage together, I'll post a link when he does. He was doing some fairly major jumpage, and I'm not saying this kind of abuse wouldn't have broken another brand of truck, but for the truck to break on what was essentially the first outing... It's a nice setup, and he thinks Losi will warranty the parts, but I'm still not real impressed with the "durability" aspect of the Losi. I'm thinking all the "bulletproof" chatter is just chatter. Hey, at least he didn't taco the chassis, like the 1/2 dozen LST2 chassis I have....yet.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by helibrian
Well, one of the local guys here bought an XXL last Fri. and spent the weekend breaking it in. Monday afternoon he brought it out and started to thrash on it. It didn't take long before the motor brace let go. It looks very similar to the ones the original LSTs had so many problems with. It didn't seem to bounce the motor around enough to strip any gears, so he kept driving it. Then the front diff case split in two and that ended his day. He's got a vid he's going to put up on youtube when he gets more footage together, I'll post a link when he does. He was doing some fairly major jumpage, and I'm not saying this kind of abuse wouldn't have broken another brand of truck, but for the truck to break on what was essentially the first outing... It's a nice setup, and he thinks Losi will warranty the parts, but I'm still not real impressed with the "durability" aspect of the Losi. I'm thinking all the "bulletproof" chatter is just chatter. Hey, at least he didn't taco the chassis, like the 1/2 dozen LST2 chassis I have....yet.
Ive been a high spending customer for my LHS for 20 plus years, they have rentals and loaners of all types of vehicles. Many times a loaner/rental will promote a sale, thats why they do it.

But to your 2nd post above............

........... I think your going to need to post up pics and a video. The front diff case splitting in 2? Im gonna have to call bull on that because the front diff case itself is aluminum and houses the diff cup which is sandwiched inside the main bulkheads, which themselves are sandwiched by the top and bottom chassisplates,skid plate and shock tower, LOL! If he literally split a diff case, then there is alot more damage to that truck and most likely from massive abuse. And to be quite honest, if he was doing massive cliff dives and jumps, he should have armored up that truck before even attempting it. That is what I call USER ERROR/STUPIDITY. Alot of what you posted points to that and then some. So he broke the 2 dollar engine brace, yet kept driving around with it cracked? Stupidity. Any anyone who plans to do MAJOR thrashing/jumping/abuse needs to armor up ANY MT if its to survive and be rugged long term. Don't matter if its an LST,MGT,Savage,T-Maxx etc........I can take any of them stock and bring em back in a box full of pieces if I really wanted to.

Last edited by ntrain42; 03-22-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ive been a high spending customer for my LHS for 20 plus years, they have rentals and loaners of all types of vehicles. Many times a loaner/rental will promote a sale, thats why they do it.

But to your 2nd post above............

........... I think your going to need to post up pics and a video. The front diff case splitting in 2? Im gonna have to call bull on that because the front diff case itself is aluminum and houses the diff cup which is sandwiched inside the main bulkheads, which themselves are sandwiched by the top and bottom chassisplates,skid plate and shock tower, LOL! If he literally split a diff case, then there is alot more damage to that truck and most likely from massive abuse. And to be quite honest, if he was doing massive cliff dives and jumps, he should have armored up that truck before even attempting it. That is what I call USER ERROR/STUPIDITY. Alot of what you posted points to that and then some. So he broke the 2 dollar engine brace, yet kept driving around with it cracked? Stupidity.
Like I said, I'll post a link when he's got the vid ready.
As far as the diff case splitting, there may be more damage than that to his truck, I don't know, as I didn't tear into it or anything. but I've had 2 diff cases split on my LST2. There's really nothing incredible about that. No need to get defensive, I'm not saying the truck is garbage or anything, it is what it is. They all break and the XXL is no different. If you want, I'll see if I can find my broken (cast aluminum/pot metal) diff cases and post a pic this weekend.

Any anyone who plans to do MAJOR thrashing/jumping/abuse needs to armor up ANY MT if its to survive and be rugged long term. Don't matter if its an LST,MGT,Savage,T-Maxx etc........I can take any of them stock and bring em back in a box full of pieces if I really wanted to.
Hold on...aren't you the guy that posted the video of the "bone stock" xxl cliff diving, to point out how durable it is?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

see.. but i dont thrash my stuff around to the point that u cant even tell what it is at the end of the day . i am so anal when it comes to the condition of my rcs, i mean yeah yeah i know if im not thrashing it or beating on it, why spend all this money on one right, or why am i into the hobby for this reason, but i try to keep my stuff looking good so when i am running it people can see that i have a nice rig. i mean sure they sell parts for them and they can be renewed all over again with an expence, but the way i look at it, how fun is it having to spend all this money on broken parts when i can be spending money on nitro and having fun. dont get me wrong i do bash my stuff around, just not like some people. i dont go out there running my stuff like its my first time lol.. i like to keep running. its a hobby, i enjoy working on rcs just as much as running them, but not out of stupidty lol. how much is a xxl worth if it has just been rebuilt.. new motor and chassis and everything? i guess id have to see it to actually explain it but i guess theres this guy that has a xxl that he crashed recently but he bought a new motor and chassis and made it look like brand new, just didnt know how much it would be worth.. i do want a brand new rc tho.. so i might even scrathch the idea of even considering a used one
Old 03-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

As far as the diff case splitting, there may be more damage than that to his truck, I don't know, as I didn't tear into it or anything. but I've had 2 diff cases split on my LST2. There's really nothing incredible about that. No need to get defensive, I'm not saying the truck is garbage or anything, it is what it is. They all break and the XXL is no different. If you want, I'll see if I can find my broken (cast aluminum/pot metal) diff cases and post a pic this weekend.

Hold on...aren't you the guy that posted the video of the "bone stock" xxl cliff diving, to point out how durable it is?

i watched this video, it is very impressing.. i thik the xxl and the savage both have there pros and cons, and by reading alot on both of them, id say they are pretty much equal. obviously the xxl is a better handling truck cause it sits lower then the savage does. but the savage does more wheelies and looks like it can take a hell of a beating also.. so id be happy with either one
Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

The few diff cases Ive seen posted that split were due to the slipper being set too tight. If the wheels lock up or get jolted with the engine clutch engaged at speed, that slipper needs to act as a full buffer, if its too tight, then you can wreck the pinion/ring assembly as it trys to spread apart under intense load. Another common break point are the outdrive cups, they normally let go though well before the pinion/ring assembly.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

i watched this video, it is very impressing.. i thik the xxl and the savage both have there pros and cons, and by reading alot on both of them, id say they are pretty much equal. obviously the xxl is a better handling truck cause it sits lower then the savage does. but the savage does more wheelies and looks like it can take a hell of a beating also.. so id be happy with either one
The reason why the Losi handles so well is because it has a lower COG(by almost a full inch)and a wider track. The big bore suspension setup is also superior, the shock assemblies specifically. Surprisingly it also has a bit more ground clearance as well.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

i just cant wait to get what i decide to get lol.. i was messing with my savage x earlier and i cant wait to run it.. but still a lil more work.. minor things tho.. but its coming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.