Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas summit help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Traxxas summit help!

Ok so i have the 1/10th summit and just bought the Mamba Monster 2650kv and ESC combo. I'd like to talk to someone who has the same set-up and can tell me what they have found to be the best setting for the summit and that motor and esc combo. Also did you do any gear changes, or anything special? My truck is pretty much completely stock other than the new motor and esc as well as the 18t pinion it came with. I know i'll get more juice when i finally go lipo, but i've been seeing these videos of these trucks doing wheelies even when at high speed but mine does nothing comparable to that or at all even off the start. Please gimme some tips and i'd appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

The batteries aren't up to the power the truck needs so you won't get spectacular performance until you put some decent Lipos in there.

Also a 2650 motor I wouldn't gear higher than 16t in the Summit.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by nexxus
The batteries aren't up to the power the truck needs so you won't get spectacular performance until you put some decent Lipos in there.

Also a 2650 motor I wouldn't gear higher than 16t in the Summit.
Ok, well i'm sort of newer to the rc thing so i just threw on the 18t it came with. I was tempted to put the 14 on it that came with the titan 775 originally, but i wanna see this thing FLY. Yes i know i need to get some lipos too. Gotta make some money though cause i know they aren't cheap. So you think the batteries alone are pretty much 80% of my issue give or take?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Tech Rookie

well bud it depends on were you live the slash is 4 will drive good for offroading like in mud and cclimbingrocks the summit is just like a street car but i would go with the slash its better in every ways good luck bud
Old 03-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MightyGorge
well bud it depends on were you live the slash is 4 will drive good for offroading like in mud and cclimbingrocks the summit is just like a street car but i would go with the slash its better in every ways good luck bud
Not to bash ya, but that doesn't really help me here. I'm not interested in the slash because it's a course truck. My co-worker just bought the slash 4x4 ultimate brushless and i watched him run it. It sits too low to the ground. I bought the summit cause i wanted a MONSTER TRUCK. I've seen the videos of guys on youtube running the summit brushless and still being able to use all it's abilities as a crawler and also haul ass down the road at 40+ mph. That's what i'm looking for and would like sugestions on.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the summit is like a street car?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Initiate

I don't have the Mamba, but I can comment to the speed thing on the summit.

If you are trying to go fast, one of the first things you should probably do is get a new set of tires. The stock ones are great with the stock set up, and nice and squishy for crawling, but at high speeds they get really squirrely really quickly.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Originally Posted by sm_bailey77
the summit is like a street car?
LOL! But you should try to get rid of the 2650 and look to get a 2200 or 1800. The Summit is a monster and the 2650 is gonna have a hard time moving that beast. Maybe find someone here who wants to try a 2650 or something.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm with Mightygorge on this one!!! need to scrap that tank and get a real truck!! HAHA!! jk stewie! can't wait to see that thing with the lipos
Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

The 2200kv would be better suited for your summit. Either way, running the truck on lipos is what is needed for what you want.

Be really careful in running nimh, two things can (and usually do) happen - You either melt the batteries or burn up the esc. The castle monster needs to have a certain amount of current from the batteries, and nimh can not really supply that.

Go to hobbyking.com and get the turnigy lipos, they aren't that much and they are really good batteries. You will only pay around $25 or so for each battery, and your summit will FLY!

DON'T FORGET TO GET A LIPO CHARGER!!! Do not attempt to charge a lipo with a non lipo charger, unless you like to see fire...
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by badaml
The 2200kv would be better suited for your summit. Either way, running the truck on lipos is what is needed for what you want.

Be really careful in running nimh, two things can (and usually do) happen - You either melt the batteries or burn up the esc. The castle monster needs to have a certain amount of current from the batteries, and nimh can not really supply that.

Go to hobbyking.com and get the turnigy lipos, they aren't that much and they are really good batteries. You will only pay around $25 or so for each battery, and your summit will FLY!

DON'T FORGET TO GET A LIPO CHARGER!!! Do not attempt to charge a lipo with a non lipo charger, unless you like to see fire...
well damn, i just spent $240 on smc sport max 3s 5500mah lipos. wish i could have found cheaper ones. anyhow, it surely FLY'S now.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Default EWWW

I did the same thing when I went lipo. Bought a SMC 4000mAh 24c 2s hardcase from my locah HS for $80 then found I could buy two 4000mAh 25x 2s Zippy Hardcase from HK for a little over half that shipped. Needless to say I sold the SMC and bought two more HK batteries. I couldnt tell a difference in performance between the two. As for the 4s/6s thing... Im happy running
4s. Geared a little higher the motor temps are good and Im gettin 35-40mph whick is fine for a MT. IMO atleast. And its alot easier on your drivetrain. But if 50mph is what your lookin for then by all means go 6s.