failsafe?

Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default failsafe?

do i need a failsafe on my t maxx? right now im running the 4 aa batteries. but eventually im going to a battery pack in the battery box.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I never ran without one. I was having glitching probs running teh AM TQ radios and added a failsafe. That saved mine several times> I switched to an FM radio with a builtin failsafe so I didn't need it any longer.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's good to use a receiver pack, hump (3x2 configure, 5 cell) or straight pack like the Orion's Marathon 1600mAh, they'll give you more punch and last much longer...

A fail safe is not a must, but it'll save your truck when the worst happen i.e. lost of signal, interference, that'll send your truck to meet it's doom at full speed, especially you're using an AM radio...

Lastly, make sure the 4AA batteries you're using now for your receiver is not those rechargeable type, as rechargeable batteries will only peak (full charge) at 1.2V, so 4 x 1.2V is only 4.8V... You'll be 'out of juice' in minutes, and might cause your truck to 'run-away'...
Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roychan69
It's good to use a receiver pack, hump (3x2 configure, 5 cell) or straight pack like the Orion's Marathon 1600mAh, they'll give you more punch and last much longer...

A fail safe is not a must, but it'll save your truck when the worst happen i.e. lost of signal, interference, that'll send your truck to meet it's doom at full speed, especially you're using an AM radio...

Lastly, make sure the 4AA batteries you're using now for your receiver is not those rechargeable type, as rechargeable batteries will only peak (full charge) at 1.2V, so 4 x 1.2V is only 4.8V... You'll be 'out of juice' in minutes, and might cause your truck to 'run-away'...
yea its the stock tq3. i will get the 2.4ghz. eventually. im using energizer batteries, not rechargeables. even after i get the traxxas link 2.4 and the 5 cell hump pack,should i continue to use the failsafe? ok, i found a guy selling a new failsafe for $5 shipped. heres a pic of it-
Attached Thumbnails failsafe?-101_3277.jpg  
Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ckblood05
yea its the stock tq3. i will get the 2.4ghz. eventually. im using energizer batteries, not rechargeables. even after i get the traxxas link 2.4 and the 5 cell hump pack,should i continue to use the failsafe? ok, i found a guy selling a new failsafe for $5 shipped. heres a pic of it-
This fail safe should be good to use for now.

When you change your radio, if it already has the fail safe function, you will not need to use this 'plug-in' fail safe anymore; just set it from your radio, and normally for radio with a fail safe function, you'll even have the 'low-batt fail safe' (when your receiver pack voltage drops to 4.8, and your radio voltage drops to 9.8/5.0 depend on your radio required voltage/cell).
Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

This fail safe should be good to use for now.

When you change your radio, if it already has the fail safe function, you will not need to use this 'plug-in' fail safe anymore; just set it from your radio, and normally for radio with a fail safe function, you'll even have the 'low-batt fail safe' (when your receiver pack voltage drops to 4.8, and your radio voltage drops to 9.8/5.0 depend on your radio required voltage/cell).
ok, im gonna buy that one for $5. im not sure if the traxxas 2.4ghz has a failsafe built in or not?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

and normally for radio with a fail safe function, you'll even have the 'low-batt fail safe' (when your receiver pack voltage drops to 4.8, )
which radio can do this?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ckblood05
ok, im gonna buy that one for $5. im not sure if the traxxas 2.4ghz has a failsafe built in or not?
Not sure for the Traxxas 2.4 radio... Please check when you buy.
Originally Posted by etivac13
which radio can do this?
Radios like 3PK, 3PKS, 4PK, 4PKS, KO Helios, KO Euros, Airtronics M11, M11X etc...
Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Tech Lord

The Traxxas Link 2.4Ghz radio is equipped with a failsafe -quote from the Traxxas Slash Ultimate Manual, p31 (uses Trx Link 2.4 radio)-

"Failsafe -
Your Traxxas radio system is equipped with a built-in failsafe
function that returns the throttle to its last saved neutral position in
the event of a signal loss. The LED on the transmitter and the receiver
will rapidly flash red."

So as soon as you get your Trx link radio, you can do away with the failsafe.

roychan69 - rechargeable AAs nominal voltage is 1.2v, fully charged voltage mine are 1.42-1.48v, they come down pretty quickly, so you wouldn't use 4 of them for an rcvr pac (you'd use 5). I've built many rcvrs packs using 5 AA cells. The new LSDs (low self discharge) work really well since they don't have the self discharge that ordinary rechargeables do.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Duster_360
The Traxxas Link 2.4Ghz radio is equipped with a failsafe -quote from the Traxxas Slash Ultimate Manual, p31 (uses Trx Link 2.4 radio)-

"Failsafe -
will rapidly flash red."

roychan69 - rechargeable AAs nominal voltage is 1.2v, fully charged voltage mine are 1.42-1.48v, they come down pretty quickly, so you wouldn't use 4 of them for an rcvr pac (you'd use 5). I've built many rcvrs packs using 5 AA cells. The new LSDs (low self discharge) work really well since they don't have the self discharge that ordinary rechargeables do.
ok, thats cool the traxxas 2.4 has a built in failsafe! i will use the one im gonna buy for now, and when i get the traxxas link i can remove that one.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not sure for the Traxxas 2.4 radio... Please check when you buy.

Radios like 3PK, 3PKS, 4PK, 4PKS, KO Helios, KO Euros, Airtronics M11, M11X etc...
i was wondering about the "low batt" failsafe for rx batts you've mentioned..

i have the dx3s... it can only show the rx voltage but only with telemetry...

does the m11x or 4pk/s have the sames feature with out telemetry? i'm planning of getting either of the two...
Old 11-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Lord

There are needs for 2 type of failsafes, one for loss of signal and one for low voltage rcvr batteries. The link radio has one for loss of signal (interference) but not for low battery (or no battery in case they were to get tossed out or become disconnected). Usually, a high capacity rcvr pac made this a non-ssue.

I don't know about the 4PK, but my 3PK has both a loss of signal type failsafe and a low batt failsafe. I had to set both up. I would be very surprised if the 4PK, 4PKS did not have the same features.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

"Failsafe -
will rapidly flash red."

Dust, I'm not using those rechargeable batteries, I'm replying to another brother...
Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by etivac13
i was wondering about the "low batt" failsafe for rx batts you've mentioned..

i have the dx3s... it can only show the rx voltage but only with telemetry...

does the m11x or 4pk/s have the sames feature with out telemetry? i'm planning of getting either of the two...
There are needs for 2 type of failsafes, one for loss of signal and one for low voltage rcvr batteries. The link radio has one for loss of signal (interference) but not for low battery (or no battery in case they were to get tossed out or become disconnected). Usually, a high capacity rcvr pac made this a non-ssue.

I don't know about the 4PK, but my 3PK has both a loss of signal type failsafe and a low batt failsafe. I had to set both up. I would be very surprised if the 4PK, 4PKS did not have the same features.
I have owned before the FUTABA 3PKS, 4PK and now the 4PKS, all have the fail safe for signal lost, low RX batt and low TX batt.

BUT, if a receiver battery is unplugged/wire cut during running, the truck WILL STILL RUN-AWAY... A fail-safe WILL NOT WORK when no battery is connected...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have owned before the FUTABA 3PKS, 4PK and now the 4PKS, all have the fail safe for signal lost, low RX batt and low TX batt.
how does the failsafe work on low rx batts on these futabas? do they stop the truck? ...i'm currently using a rubber band just in case the rx batt is disconnected... can't find a good spring right now...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.