Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Pull Start or Push Start >

Pull Start or Push Start

Pull Start or Push Start

Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default Pull Start or Push Start

I have a S-Maxx 3.3 with the EZ-Start system that Traxxas puts on all their trucks. The thing works great but it is annoying that I have to double check and make sure that I have a battery charged up so the truck will start.
I was wondering if it is worth it to change over to a pull start and glow starter or just get better at rembering to charge the starter battery?
Pros/Cons?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Go ahead and get a glow igniter and use the ez start. The igniter takes enough load off the ez starter that its noticeably improved as far as getting started. This makes the ez starter battery last longer. Only downside is having to keep up with and charge an igniter.

The ez starters have a tendency for the glo plug side to fail anyway unless they've figured a way to make them better.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (96%+)

switch it over to pull start.... I did to my savage and man it is nice to only carry a glow igniter over that damn roto start junk HPI uses
Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The cheezy starter should be the first thing you want to yank off. Get the glo-igniter and use a pull start. If your tune is right it will fire on the first pop. Less weight and you wont have to carry a cheezy wand around.

Buy a re-chargable igniter too. Rather, one with a charger that comes with it.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All I can say is have fun snapping pull start strings... that really f@$ks your day up. So id say ditch the glow part of easy start and just just carry an ignitor.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+1 for pull starts. All my trucks are pull starts and i have never had a problem or brokens any pull strings
Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MalicousIntent
All I can say is have fun snapping pull start strings...
? I never had a problem with this. Your not supposed to yank it out like a lawn mower rip cord trying to spool the RPM's up.. You do short pops of the cord (usually one rotation of the crank) If the engine has a good tune, your igniter is charged and you have a good plug, it will/should fire on the first pop.

I had a Picco red dot.26 with a TRX pull start on it lol..Talk about massive pinch, I never snapped a rip cord.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The cord will only break if you have pulled it too far. Read the manual, it will tell you how far to pull the cord and you wont have a problem
Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+1 on the Pullstarts!

I had a Traxxas Nitro Sport SE back in the day when it was using the first gen EZ-Starts. That was just a pain in the ass because the battery always wanted to fail just when the engine was about to fire, or the needle bearings start to slip. I always hated that. Same story on my HPI Savage 25 RTR. To fix the issue on the Traxxas rig, I dropped in a pullstart OS 18 CVRX engine and couldn't be happier, although that was a bit more power than that platform could handle.

I dropped a pullstart Axial 28 1S into the Savage and it was the same story. It was (still is) much easier to use a pullstart than those electric starters.

Personally, the only way I would use any electric start system is if it was done the same way Losi did it with the 10-T. That is probably the coolest thing I have seen in RC right there. Just push a button on the radio and the truck fires up on its own.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dill004
I have a S-Maxx 3.3 with the EZ-Start system that Traxxas puts on all their trucks. The thing works great but it is annoying that I have to double check and make sure that I have a battery charged up so the truck will start.
I was wondering if it is worth it to change over to a pull start and glow starter or just get better at rembering to charge the starter battery?
Pros/Cons?
You'd still have to make sure your glow starter battery is charged.

I use a pullstarter on anything that I don't use a box for. The rotostarts and stuff are great for some people, but I like to be able to feel what's going on. I've broken plenty of pullstarts, and not just the strings, but that stuff happens. You just gotta keep them maintained, like everything else.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys for the info..man i love this forum for that reason everyone is nice and willing to help...I am pretty sure I am going to go with a pullstart bc I tack good care of my stuff and I have the tune down(even with the ez start once primed it fires instantly) SO I think glow igniter and pull start HERE I COME...
Thanks again guys
See you through the dust.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Oh one more question...

I am a WD40 user for after run care...With a pull start should I just pull to turn the motor over a few times or should I look into changing my regimen?
I have done it this way sence my first nitro (HPI Nitro MT2 w/T15) and it has always worked great.
Thanks ahead on all the comeing thoughts.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dill004
Oh one more question...

I am a WD40 user for after run care...With a pull start should I just pull to turn the motor over a few times or should I look into changing my regimen?
I have done it this way sence my first nitro (HPI Nitro MT2 w/T15) and it has always worked great.
Thanks ahead on all the comeing thoughts.
Yep, same thing. Just give it a couple of pulls, it's going to feel much easier with no plug in it obviously.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks GotNitro and to everyone thanks for all the help.