Search

is the Monster GT really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

in the sky is good...makes you learn throttle control
Old 07-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

I have to say that the Mgt is probibly one of the easiest trucks to drive out of the box, the t-maxx will forever be my favorite though. The half dozen or so failures I have seen at our local track were nothing more than operator error only, WHAT did you expect would happen when throughing for reverse wile still doing 15-20mph!!! of course something is gonna break. Pretty cool of Assosciated to replace for free though. great truck all in all, as for underpowered all that is required is a real pipe and header, what a difference...
Old 07-22-2004, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

what did you put on lizzardo? i'm always looking for people's input on that stuff as far as recommendations for the LHS i work at.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

All I used on mine is the Dynamite 1/8 scale single chamber pipe and headder kit cost me $70.00cdn and what a difference, almost 3/4 turn on top and the truck will blow over backwards if not carefull. Lots of room in the BFT for the pipe no concerns there at all.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Tech Master

thanks, i'll give it a try
Old 07-27-2004, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

I had a few issues with my truck....

Ripped front suspension clear off the truck, pulled screws out of the aluminum after no more than a 4' jump...

Replaced the stock fuel tank with a t-maxx tank because the dual pickup was sucking air...

Twisted the main shaft in the tranny in half, $100 in parts to fix...

Just blew the rear diff the other day, still haven't taken it apart...

I do have a Sirio 27 Race in it... But The tank and The front suspension problems happened on the TTR 21...

I don't reccomend it for a newbie...
Old 07-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

alan you had that many problems with it.

jones down at lir ran it off the roof about 5 times which is about 12-15ft and all that happened was after the 3rd time the gas tank blew up because the truck landed on it and it was full. and the engine mounts broke 2 times. he kills that truck everytime he brings it out even betts tried killing it and it kept on going. i have been contemplating between the mgt or the lst. the only problem i have with it is its too slow. my .21 conversion tmaxx tossed him in a race it has tons of torque but no top end.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

it doesn't matter how well or badly the truck is built...if it lands wrong even the most expensive trucks break
Old 07-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

as mentioned above the truck always landed on the front or rear bumper or the roof never on all 4 wheels. well actually once on the wheels. they also took it on a rock hill in a construction site and it took a beating. (the rock hill broke a rock crawling clod that tumbled down it and the mgt just got scratched).
Old 07-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

As I have posted earlier the Bft can be a very capable runner all that is required to keep the driveline intact is a slightly looser slipper, if the slipper dosen't blow off when required then the driveline must take the hit. The slipper is a little tough to set if you are not familiar with it. With the truck tuned and warm start from your feet and pull for full throttle, if the truck pulls hard and dosen't rev up the clutch is to tight, the engine should rev a little and the clutch should slip about 3-4 feet, use caution as too loose and you will melt the spur gear. if in doubt ask an experienced racer to lend a hand as most will gladly assist a fellow RCer.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

lol as i mentioned earlier i am thinking about getting the mgt. stock out of the box is there any way to get it to hit 40 without putting a new motor in it. not sure of gearing out of the box. one of the guys who owns one and works at the shop i go to put the extra wide 40 series on it and geared up and it was still slow. that is the only thing stopping me from buying this truck. other then that after what i saw it is a great truck that idles and runs forever.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

try a good pipe, helps the motor breathe easier
Old 08-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

The truck out of the box IS slow... It is definitely not BFT, but it isn't a bad truck either... I expected a lot more from AE that what was delivered, I'm not sure if Losi will be any better...

I do like the truck a lot, but this is after I changed the motor... The truck does handle very well....

The truck was about 6 hours out of the box when I ripped the suspension off of it... Whether it was screwed up from the factory, I don't know... (For you kids who think I'm a kid who doesn't know what I'm doing.... I've been racing AE vehicles since 1988... Russ up there can confirm that I come to the track with a T4 and an origional 10T that I still use....) The way I see it, the way the front suspension and rear for that matter stresses the hell out of the frame rails... Sooner or later you are going to pull the screws right out of the aluminum...

Russ, I would reccomend the truck, but look into a new motor... For a newbie, stay far away from it...
Old 08-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

i saw the lst run last nite in a parking lot. in a drag race and just driving around it tosses tmaxx's by a lot it rips off the line and the top speed is very impressive and it mainly seemed to be running on the 2nd speed( did not sound like the 2 sp was adjusted right it would shift in the 1st 10ft). so my money is now with the lst as for racing that might be a different story not sure how it handles on the track. the lst seems to be hard to tune though the 2 i have seen seem to run lean after a while not sure if its the person behind it or what.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Initiate

I am not very happy with my MGT. I had problems with air in the fuel line from the duel feed system and I have had many tranny problems. I have seen others with a-arm problems. I just got a brand new tranny from AE so we will see how this holds up. I bent dog bones and snapped the pins. This is not the limited edition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.