Wiki Posts
Search

....1/16 E-Revo questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default ....1/16 E-Revo questions?

How fast is the brushed mini revo? How about on trainer mode? Maybe the VXL would be better....
I am looking to pick one up for my little girl. She is almost 5 years old. I don't want it to be very fast but I need something she can run outside. I see the VXL truck comes with the 2.4 radio and the brushed does not. Rather have the 2.4 for her. Also not sure how the brushed motor will last. Keep in mind she will only be running in the yard and in trainer mode most likely for a while. I assume the trucks are the same other than electronics...Yes?
Can anyone review the two trucks to show which I should get? Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Sawyers
How fast is the brushed mini revo? How about on trainer mode? Maybe the VXL would be better....
I am looking to pick one up for my little girl. She is almost 5 years old. I don't want it to be very fast but I need something she can run outside. I see the VXL truck comes with the 2.4 radio and the brushed does not. Rather have the 2.4 for her. Also not sure how the brushed motor will last. Keep in mind she will only be running in the yard and in trainer mode most likely for a while. I assume the trucks are the same other than electronics...Yes?
Can anyone review the two trucks to show which I should get? Thanks
My personal opinion is I would steer clear of the mini revos for your daughter. They are VERY fragile, even in trainer mode. I don't know if you've seen one in person or not.

As for brushed or brushless (if you are set on a mini-revo), go with the brushed. The Titans will hold up nicely for her and it's not like you'll be running two batteries in it for max speed. If she gets better you can always take it off trainer, then throw in another battery for more speed.

I would say look at the Duratrax ST/BX line for her as they are MUCH cheaper (almost half the cost), and have a warranty on the plastic that Duratrax does hold up to nicely, more so than RPM . You can also look at a SC for her, as those can be found under 200$ NIB RTR also.

Don't let the hype of 2.4ghz get you. AM Radio will be fine for the slow speeds she will be running, most likely in close quarters. I've never had an issue with AM until Brushless came around, and thats only because my Emaxx at the time was HEAVILY modded with necessary aluminum. Receiver mounted to aluminum = no good for AM or FM
Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

What I did for my 4 year old son is bought the VVL, put the speed pinion in it and ran it in training mode with a 6 cell pack.

I know what your thinking, "speed pinion"

The speed pinion is supposed to be used when running a 3's or 2 NiMh packs in series. The speed pinion is actually smaller, it's 23T while the stock is 28T. The concept behind the smaller speed pinion is for trying to keep the motor temps down. If you run the truck in training mode with a 6 cell pack using the speed pinion, it will be slower than using the stock pinion and it should be manageable for her. Besides, they are beasts for what they are. They can take a good beating and keep going.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Well, I have not really taken a good look at one. I kinda thought there would be some parts that need an upgrade from the start. We are talking about a Traxxas RTR after all.
I like the 2.4 because I don't want her playing with a metal antenna. If it gets broke then ok but at least she would be less likely to get hurt with it...or turn and slap someone with it.
I am kinda looking for an idea about how fast each one is with trainer mode or without. For example, is the brushed truck as fast as a stock T4 or a stock slash or something? I am not new to RC by no means but this little truck is new to me. Thanks for the replys fellas....
Old 08-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Not sure bout speed. About the 2.4 though, you can get the traxxas radio for 45 or so dollars shipped here and fleabay, if its a major concern
Old 08-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Sawyers
For example, is the brushed truck as fast as a stock T4 or a stock slash or something? I am not new to RC by no means but this little truck is new to me. Thanks for the replys fellas....

Although I have never tried one I can only assume the brushed version in training mode would be like a brushed slash/rustler/stampede ETC in training mode.

I will tell you this much, If I ever buy another Traxxas it will not have a titan in it. The end bells are spot welded shut, no comm cuts no brush replacing nothing... They are disposable motors and none of them are predictable as far as how long they will last. I had a one last about 50 packs and another last 4 all broken in properly.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

I know what you mean. I have had 3 Slash kits. Motors were all over the place. I got smart and picked up an Ultima SC (mod) and my son has a stock Blitz.
I just thought the mini revo would be a good kit for my little girl after I make a few upgrades. Slow as she will be driving I thought maybe it would last a while.
As far as the 2.4....I just like them better. I have a 4pk, my son runs a Spektrum DX3S and since I went to 2.4 I have had much better luck with radio gear. I have maybe 8 am and fm radios now but will never use any of them again.
Over all the Mini Revo is a cool little kit I hear.

Originally Posted by got_nitro
Although I have never tried one I can only assume the brushed version in training mode would be like a brushed slash/rustler/stampede ETC in training mode.

I will tell you this much, If I ever buy another Traxxas it will not have a titan in it. The end bells are spot welded shut, no comm cuts no brush replacing nothing... They are disposable motors and none of them are predictable as far as how long they will last. I had a one last about 50 packs and another last 4 all broken in properly.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Get the brushless/2.4Ghz and put it into training mode like got_nitro said it will be slow enough for her too control with the supplied battery . And if it isnt then put the smaller pinion on it . Dont know where CaseyDDR is coming from but my Mini E REVO has been as blast and had very little downtime .
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

agreed. get the brushless put a six cell and training mode and youll be fine.. they are pretty durable dunno what Casey is talking about I bash mine at the skate park all the time.. got RPMs on it and just put 80wt front and 100wt rear on the shocks and some stiff springs. and i just got two 2.4ghz systems off ebay for 35$ they are the 5channel ones.. so..
Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I bought a nice used VXL mini erevo some time ago and thought I'd made a bad deal. It was just incredibly dirty. I run a pr of 3S lipos in parallel and the thing is very fast. I've done some incredible cartwheels and tumbles with it and have only scratched up the edges on the wing and top of the shell. The body posts took a beating until I installed a good wheelie bar.

The only thing I've had to replace have been the body posts from getting ground down sliding on the lid.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I had a brushless mini e revo and loved it. It is not fragile and requires little maintenance... brushless 2.4ghz all the way..
Like you said, "training mode."
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks to all for the advice!
1/16 VXL E-Revo it is....