Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
mid tank converssion for savage help me out. >

mid tank converssion for savage help me out.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mid tank converssion for savage help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mid tank converssion for savage help me out.

Ok I'm hearing to some about the mid tank converssion for the savage what dose it do for handeling.
Will it fit the old savage 21.
I have the lcg chassis right now but if this will emprove perfomance then I'm all game to getting it. What kind of extra things will I need to complete the converssion? New tank? Servo mounts ...is there any thing. What are some pros and cons of this chassis?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would help you out, but this is one of the few things that I'm not an expert on with the Savage. Never seen it up close myself or tried it. Just gonna have to wait for Casey or one of the other guys to help you out. I'm just serving as a thread bump.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Are you a member of savage-central.com. Do a search on there and you will find what you need to do. I did the midtank conversion on my Savage. Did not notice any difference in handling.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

To do the midtank conversion you need either the extended CF plates (forget company, it's on HPISF), or the Extended LCG TVPs from Fast Lane Machines. You also need to get a servo plate from them to mount your tank on. It's all about 80$ to do for the chassis conversion.

After you do this you buy either a Mugen MBX5 tank (125cc) or you can go with a bigger tank depending on your preference and modification skills. If you go with a 250cc you will have to do a rear mounted throttle servo, if you go with the 125 Mugen you can keep your servo in the same spot for throttle (although it's much better in the back).

As for handling, it doesn't affect it either way, although the LCG extended chassis will help you a lot. What the mod is intended to do is get rid of the half tank lean that plagues the stock Savage tank. The problem consists of fuel being above the carb for half the tank, then dipping below it, causing a different ratio which is unavoidable. It's why you hear some Savage drivers having to fill up after jus a half tank to keep running problem free. With the mod you can flip over and it'll run all day with a truggy tank if you please.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

I'm new to monster trucks so would it be hard to do this converssion. Is there a lot of modding and custom parts ill have to make? Or dose every thing I need come in a kit?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR
To do the midtank conversion you need either the extended CF plates (forget company, it's on HPISF), or the Extended LCG TVPs from Fast Lane Machines. You also need to get a servo plate from them to mount your tank on. It's all about 80$ to do for the chassis conversion.

After you do this you buy either a Mugen MBX5 tank (125cc) or you can go with a bigger tank depending on your preference and modification skills. If you go with a 250cc you will have to do a rear mounted throttle servo, if you go with the 125 Mugen you can keep your servo in the same spot for throttle (although it's much better in the back).

As for handling, it doesn't affect it either way, although the LCG extended chassis will help you a lot. What the mod is intended to do is get rid of the half tank lean that plagues the stock Savage tank. The problem consists of fuel being above the carb for half the tank, then dipping below it, causing a different ratio which is unavoidable. It's why you hear some Savage drivers having to fill up after jus a half tank to keep running problem free. With the mod you can flip over and it'll run all day with a truggy tank if you please.
Haven't done this, but almost all Savage extended plates are extended in the rear aren't they? do you really need an extended chassis to do a midtank?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
Haven't done this, but almost all Savage extended plates are extended in the rear aren't they? do you really need an extended chassis to do a midtank?
Right. No, you don't need an extended chassis for a mid-tank. You can just use the stock TVPs. In fact you don't really need a mid-tank at all, although it's great for people that can't seem to properly tune their truck otherwise. All you need is a couple pieces of aluminum (or plastic), and a method of cutting and drilling it, screws, some linkage, and a tank. Hate to contradict anyone, but the "mid tank lean" that people talk about is not caused by "fuel being above the carb for half the tank, then dipping below it". If that was the cause, every rc vehicle in existence would act in a similar manner. The "issue" is caused by a variance in hydro-pneumatic pressure, when the pressure exchange area goes from ~5.5 sq" (@ full to half tank) to ~3.25 sq" as it drops below the step in the tank. A decrease in PE area = a corresponding decrease in pressure. Simple. And yes there are (partial) kits out there but personally, I wouldn't spend money on any of the kits that I've seen so far.

¢
Old 08-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Dammit, heli, you should know better than to bring science into a SAVAGE thread

Going to have some aluminum left over after the XXX-NT's new chassis, so ThunderbirdJunkie is seriously considering a midtank only because of the clunk truggy tanks and ThunderbirdJunkie's slow fat ass running after the truck to flip it over.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by helibrian
Right. No, you don't need an extended chassis for a mid-tank. You can just use the stock TVPs. In fact you don't really need a mid-tank at all, although it's great for people that can't seem to properly tune their truck otherwise. All you need is a couple pieces of aluminum (or plastic), and a method of cutting and drilling it, screws, some linkage, and a tank. Hate to contradict anyone, but the "mid tank lean" that people talk about is not caused by "fuel being above the carb for half the tank, then dipping below it". If that was the cause, every rc vehicle in existence would act in a similar manner. The "issue" is caused by a variance in hydro-pneumatic pressure, when the pressure exchange area goes from ~5.5 sq" (@ full to half tank) to ~3.25 sq" as it drops below the step in the tank. A decrease in PE area = a corresponding decrease in pressure. Simple. And yes there are (partial) kits out there but personally, I wouldn't spend money on any of the kits that I've seen so far.

¢
So for tunning what would I do to be correct?(for the half tank lean problem) I'm new to nitro engines and I wanna learn all the tricks and ins and outs of the nitro engine.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

¢
Good one!

Doing the "Mid-Tank Mod" does not guarantee it will eliminate the "Half-Tank-Lean" problem...

What I did was I shortened my back-pressure fuel tubing (it's about 5~6" in length) and added a "One-Way-Valve" (those plane guys use) just before the tank-cap; and also shortened the fuel line going to the carburetter.

By doing the above mentioned; the fuel tank "pressure" is constantly being maintained (pressurized), it can prevent the "Half-Tank-Lean" issue...

A thing to note is, often it is the other that causes problem...make sure your fuel tank cap's O-Ring (seal) is not hardened, many problem starts from it, check periodically by closing one end of the fuel line, and blow air from the other to check the integrity of the seal...

Just my experience.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

So for about 15 bones I could fix my half tank lean issuse? ! :-)
Old 08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

¢
It has nothing to do with improper tuning The tank is just a bad design on the Savage, and placement is poor.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Just tune your Savage when your tank is half full. When running on a full tank. It will run a little rich. But I rather it being rich than lean.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mr240
Just tune your Savage when your tank is half full. When running on a full tank. It will run a little rich. But I rather it being rich than lean.
That defeats the purpose of a proper tune. Why should I have to run half a tank rich and half just right?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

What if we just run it alittle extra rich from the start? Is this a bad idea? And if I did run it alittle extra rich would I need to tune at half tank?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.