Wiki Posts
Search

Savage X engine swap???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Savage X engine swap???

First off hello to all.
I am a new member here and am looking for input/help. I recently had my F4.1 not F or K 4.6 motor that came with my so called Savage X crap out. I was going to do the engine swap with HPI for the 5.9 out of a XL. My questions are is it worth it? Are there any serious problems with the engine? I have come across problems with the XL online for various things, mostly tuning issues. What would be a good substitute powerhouse? My savage is far from stock now and I'm sure it could handle the increased power, I just don't want to deal with more tuning problems. I hardly got to run my truck cause of the last engine. Its still so new and hardly unbeaten which makes me sad.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hello there, if you are looking at upgrading your engine in the savvy either go with the LRP 30 or LRP28. These two seem to be the most reliable and good tuning engines that can last with proper maintenance up to 10 gallons. If you were to get a 5.9 you will be looking at half the life of a LRP and less overall power.

Another guy to consider is the the Picco P3 28, it's by far the fastest in the 200$ range, but it can be a pain to tune and it needs a full gallon of breakin to get the best out of it.

Pick your poison, lol.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

the good old savage 4.1 and yes it is a savage ...
but i think you mean that the F4.1 was a supossed nitro engine!!!
it was my first nitro and it alway was soo hard to start due to the one way pin staying in the cranck because the spring was always crushed.
i endend up changing soo many times a had spare springs soo i managed to jam in a half spring extra and it 1/2 worked enough to get it to start on one compression stroke at a time.

i tuned that suckeer leaner and leaner until it was friing glow plugs and i still didn't tune it back. and the motor saw four different types of fuel that i never re-ajusted for. finally a bearing seized and it broke the crank in half.

i got a kit x ss to replace the whole truck ( 300$ new motor or 350 $ new savage with body ... etc... ) it has the k4.6. i've learned how to tune and it has three years and over 12 gallons of o'donnel 20% race and it still has original one way bearing!
i got 9 gallons on the second glow plug and ajustements, only re-ajusted cause i ajusted instead of changing bad glow plug.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

since then i slowly did a brushless conversion on my savage x 4.1
as the parts came out

nothing even comes close to the power of six cell lipo!!!
even 4 cell lipo is more power than most nitro engines.

it's on a complet new level of spending money, going fast, and breaking parts!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info guys. I had a lot of the same issues with starting and keeping the beast running. Probably the dumb spring ya mentioned. It finally just seized up and I couldn't get the sleeve out without jacking up the cylinder, hammer and screwdriver was a bad choice, that and being angry and drunk. hence the new engine need no point in fixing something that won't work right later. I've had mine about 3 yrs with maybe 3 gallons through it. My novice ability didn't help things at the time but i can rip the truck apart now with eyes closed in like twenty minutes.
I'll pass on the brushless conversion, still like the nitro sound but I'm looking into getting one if the with will OK it. I put a brushless into her E-firestorm, NICE no LIPO yet she breaks it enough without the extra power.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd sell your old truck and buy a flux.
This is what happen to me.
Bought a savage xl, ran the crap out of it till the engine died, got a brand new engine for $150. Slowly started buying flux brushless parts.
I bought the flux battery boxes and modded the chassis to make them work, bought a torq 2200kv and a blur esc, kershaw direc drive. Threw it all together on 4s and the brand new blur died after my first jump. Smoke bellowing! Replaced with MMM. On 6s 5000 35c and then the front pinion broke in about 5 min replaced that then the rear pinion blew up, fixed that and then the front went again, each lasted around 5 min on grass lol! Then I spent another $60 on 9t bulletproof diffs and $35 on composite diff cases. Now it works great but the motor pinion only stays tight for 20min at a time even with lock tight.
I love the truck, it has been the king of all bashers amongst my friends.

Now I ordered the FLM tranny forward chassis for $190
it never ends, with all the downtime and money I poured into this I should have started with a flux. Bottom line!