Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Need some help getting my MGT running (new motor) >

Need some help getting my MGT running (new motor)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some help getting my MGT running (new motor)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Need some help getting my MGT running (new motor)

Okay, I just got an MGT 8.0 as my first nitro. I bought it off a guy who said he started it once, realized he was in way over his head (apparently the idle was too high and it took off on him) and then he sold it to me.

I got the engine to start, and last night it was idling, but today when I fired it up to idle through a tank of fuel as part of the breakin, I find that it will start, idle ok for a few seconds, then it will rev a couple of times (enough to turn the wheels), then it will speed up and start turning the wheels faster, and then stall. I'm at a total loss here, hoping for some input.

edit: I should note the plug is brand new, but I'm going to go try changing it for a brand new one and I'll check back on this thread in a bit.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nope, same thing with a new plug. The old one looked fine anyways. It seems to idle for 30 seconds to a minute before it starts to rev up like that. :S
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sounds like it may not be getting fuel, make sure there are no loose lines or blockages.

Wouldn't hurt to check the needles. The factory carb settings for the hi speed needle is 3 turns out and the lo speed is 5.5 out.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

My manual says the low speed needle is supposed to be 4.5 turns out, which is what I have it set to. But it's getting lots of fuel, lots of smoke out the back and all that. The lines all seem good too, no air bubbles in them.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Still looking for ideas please.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

RPM speeding up makes it sound like an air leak is leaning it out, but since 1st tank went fine, this is something thats just happened. Check thr carb pinch bolt and make sure its not loose. Check backplate and make sure its still on tight. Check cyl head screws and make sure they're tight as well.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, thanks. I'll have a look. For the time being I managed to get it to stop doing it, just by turning the low speed screw out one full turn. It was at the point where it was spitting raw fuel out, but the engine idled consistently.