Wiki Posts
Search

MMM V3 or Novak HV 5.5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MMM V3 or Novak HV 5.5?

I have a E-Revo roller that I need to get running and I have narrowed down my brushless setup to either the Mamba Monster ESC/motor combo or the Novak HV 5.5 combo.

What everyones thoughts on both of these systems?

I like that the Novak is sensored but do I really need it?

Reliability issues for either?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No experieince with Novak, but I have 3 MMM/2200 combos running - my Flux - obviously stock setup, FLM Ext Emaxx and GorillaMaxx G2R. Building a 3rd (UE Lightning) that will run a MMM with a 1717 motor when Castle exchanges the 6mm rotor for a 5mm rotor.

I've never had a prob with any of mine, have run 4S, 5S and 6S lipo and 5S an 7S a123. Again no probs. The CC Combo is proven in the ERBE.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

No comparision between the 2 , Mamba Monster all the way ! Its also VERY smooth so no need for a sensored motor either .
Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

no contest. mamba monster combo.

the novak isn't really meant for anything more than about 30mph in a light mt and they are better suited in the 4x4 short course trucks.

the mamba monster esc is much more reliable and is capable of handling much more current and voltage than the POS novak hv esc.

both the esc and motor will run hot if you get the novak and you will have to keep the gearing low as well as use fans in the summer. also, the sensors in the motor and esc are prone to going bad and it will not let you run it if there is one minor problem with the sensors. also, the novak motors have small rotors and do not produce all that much torque.

the mamba monster esc has a built-in fan that will come on if it heats up at all and in a revo, the fan will rarely turn on. it is also very programmable and there are some very important features such as lipo cutoff level and punch control. the motor is based off of Steven Neu's design and it is a proven, very efficient, cool running design. the motor will rarely get more than warm to the touch.

i have had personal experience with both combos and i can vouch for the MMM combo. i have one in my BL converted truggy and one in my savage flux. i have the savage geared for about 60mph on 6s and the motor has never broke 130F. i do most of my running on 4s geared for about 40mph in both of my steups and the savage's motor rarely breaks 120F on a 75F day. the truggy setup is much more demanding on the motor and in my truggy, the motor usually runs about 125F and tops out at 140F while running in tall grass.

both of those setups are more demanding than an e-revo,and they don't break a sweat. MMM combo 100%
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

The Novak HV systems are total garbage. DO NOT buy one. I've owned more than 1 of each and not only are the HV systems horribly inefficient and run way too hot but they have a 4S max, linear BEC (must have equal voltage packs hooked on each side) and will burn up faster than your truck will pop a wheely! The Monster is an amazing setup and you won't be disappointed. Also, the HV system is only $160 or so brand new yet you can't even find a used MMM combo for under $200 most times. That alone should tell you the demand of the CC products.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

MAMBA MMM ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T buy the Novak crap. They're good for TC's and that's about it.
The mamba has the adjustability (Castlelink is amazing, along with software updates), the power, and everything else. Go for the Mamba
Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions??

but all those things make me want the novak. I'm looking for a little less power than the MMM and alot less price. What exactly does "Burn up" mean? please be a little more technical with your review of your hv pro 5.5. don't say it will get hot cuz you don't know what gearing we will run. BTW, the 5.5 is supposed to do 45 according to this diagram.

teamnovak.com/products/brushless/hv_motors_5mm/gear_recommendations.jpg

I'm looking for an even better deal though. what is the cheapest 4S sensored setup with equivalent and not more power than this Novak HV 5.5? LVC isn't necessary.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

If you want cost and performance.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Paired with this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Car_ESC.html
Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scottgir
If you want cost and performance.

hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19682__Turnigy_TrackStar_4068_2560KV_1_8th_Brush less_Motor_USA_Warehouse_.html

Paired with this
hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10370__Hobby_King_150A_High_performance_Brushles s_Car_ESC.html

Now, That's what I'm talkin about. Thanks Scottgir!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

I agree with everyone, I have a Novak HV 7.5t combo and I wouldnt recommend it, it cost me only $160 and it runs pretty well but the problem is, it isnt good quality, the sensor harness is the major flaw in the design, the sensor harness is built into the novak motor and when it gets damaged you have to buy a whole new motor (this happened to me but I havent bought the motor yet, I'm still deciding on what I should do), and you have to buy a Novak motor when this happens because the ESC wont work with anything else, another minor problem is with the other wires, they arent soldered on well and most of them get loose and need re-soldering after a while. If those problems werent there I would be happy with my combo preformance wise because it goes nice and smooth.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh and also, the capacitor in the esc is rubbish it was made to fail, after about 2 months of occasional running it would just fail and then you would have to buy a new one for $15 from Novak and then have that fail later on, what I did after buy a couple of Novak ones was make a better capacitor so I bought 3 1000uf 25v and made a 3000uf 25v one and thats been holding up (the novak is 2700uf 25v). DONT BUY THE NOVAK.