Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GXR18 rotostart conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default GXR18 rotostart conversion?

I recieved a Kyosho MFR for christmas this year. I am very disappointed in the quality of this truck, since Christmas I have replaced the throttle servo (died the first day), the electric start died in 2 days so i replaced it with a pull start from Kyosho america. Well, I'm on my third pull start since they keep breaking so I'm wondering if anyone has tried to rig a rotostart to work on the GXR18 engine, thought of ordering a HPI rotostart and backplate and try to find a one way bearing for the starter shaft, but not sure this will pan out. Any other Ideas?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

One of the Sullivan Tiger Drives -

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Prod...xMainFrame.htm

Yours is apparently available. Tower sells them among others.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Awsome, I had seen the tigerdrive but didn't realize there was one compatible, I appreciate the quick response, now to see if i can find some sort of Rotostarter or smaller electric starter so I don't have to lug around an electric drill.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

thats kinda strange you are having those problems. i have had mine since september and i havent had any problems with it. the electric start works perfect and still on stock electrics
Old 02-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, this is my first Kyosho RC, and I'm really hoping I just got a bad truck. I've heard plenty of good things about the DBX which uses the GXR18 but had really liked the look of the MFR over the Savage. Unfortunately this has put a bad taste in my mouth as far as Kyosho goes but maybe once I get the truck running that will change.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My 1st Kyosho was a mini-inferno and it soured me on them for several years, that thing broke something everytime I tried to drive it. I did buy an Inferno GT last year and its been flawless. Even with the compression of the stock 28, I've not had any probs starting it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok, so i received the sullivan tigerdrive and it won't mount up because i don't have the right backplate.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Border
I recieved a Kyosho MFR for christmas this year. I am very disappointed in the quality of this truck, since Christmas I have replaced the throttle servo (died the first day), the electric start died in 2 days so i replaced it with a pull start from Kyosho america. Well, I'm on my third pull start since they keep breaking so I'm wondering if anyone has tried to rig a rotostart to work on the GXR18 engine, thought of ordering a HPI rotostart and backplate and try to find a one way bearing for the starter shaft, but not sure this will pan out. Any other Ideas?
eversince i started w/ nitro MT'S its only the MFR that i bought twice coz of handling and durability no matter what you do w this truck it wont roll over. regarding w/ your problem w/ the electric starter that is a very minor problem why dont you try to look again w/ you electronics and the reduction gear try to clean it up maybe there are lots of oil already and regarding w/ the drill start from hpi i think the drillplate will fit w/ the engine coz i use drill start from himoto and it fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails GXR18 rotostart conversion?-picture-031.jpg