Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tmaxx bulkhead issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy tmaxx bulkhead issues

every time I run my 2.5 t-maxx the rear bulkhead loosens up .... I have a aluminum bulkhead and the aluminum trusses underneith, and aluminum skidplates..... I don't have to even hit anything just running it around and it will get so loose the top screws fall out. I've tried changing screws to the allen head style .. its fustratign .. going to pull the back completely off and see if there is crud in the joint that might be causign it .....
Any ideas ?.... the only thing I can think of is thread locker .... but easy as these screws strip ... might not be a good idea......... any one else have this issue ?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ever considered replacing them screws with 12.9 grade hex heads? Screws going into metal will shake themselves loose unless you threadlock.

There are downsides of course; 12.9 grade screws rust. Can't beat them for functionality and practicality tho.

DF
Old 01-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Rookie

where do I get those ?.. mine is a bashin truck anyways.... might need to use some elastomer on the threads to keeps from steel to aluminum issues. that does sound like a good idea .... might just solve it .. gets old pulling the engine all the time
Old 01-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You need to use a med thread locker. It will stop the loosening nad will not cause anything to strip when you remove them. I use blue loctite and don't have screws coming loose. Don't use the red - it is semi permanent!

You need to start with clean, grease free screws and screw holes. I use a shot of motor spray (alcohol will work too) to clean the screws and holes before applying loctite. Use a cleaner that is evaporating so it doesn't interfere with the loctite curing. Loctite needs some time to set also - don't apply and expect it to cure instantly, it doesn't. Depending on temp, it needs a few to several hrs. I usually try to let mine cure overnite, that way I'm sure its set.

I use Tony's Screw kits - 1st thing I do to a new RC, replace everything with high strength alloy steel hex heads. Tony also sells individual screws.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool

thanks I'll give it a try........... I have a screw kit allen head but they seem to strip the hex out easily .... that is just fustratign in on its own too .. appreciate the help ....
Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Lord

Those screws sound like they're SS ones? They are soft and the heads will strip after a few uses. The alloy steel ones - heads don't strip out even after many uses. The other thing - you need a really good hex driver, something that has hardened tip. It might be your wrenches that are rounding off. I use Thorp drivers, expensive, but they last.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah its the SS ones. its the dam screw heads that strip out grrrrrrrrrrrrr ...... at least I didn't buy the 25.00 set .... where can I get the good alloy steel ones ?... I've already had to dremel out 3 of these cheap pieces of crap .....

I really do appreciate all the help on this small yet fustrating issue
Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you don't mind the rust, Tony's Screws are great.

If you have a slightly higher budget, Hexcrews's AP 12.9 bright nickel plated screws are a good alternative. These more expensive screws are more corrosion resistant than regular black oxide kit.

DF
Old 01-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you cant really do anything about that pretty much your are going to have to deal with it and check up on it every once in a while and tighten the screws and use loch tite
Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Lord

Guess I'm unusual in that I seem to take enough care of mine, they don't rust. Maybe its the denat/Simple Green cleaning mix I use or the WD 40 spray/wipe down, but the screws I get from Tony do not rust.

Maybe its their blackoxide coating....
Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Rookie

sounds liek tony's screws come highly recommended . I'll have to get a screw kit for it. I know I'm sick of the junk ss ones strippign the heads out ..
Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by sLaSh It UPP
you cant really do anything about that pretty much your are going to have to deal with it
Once again proving you are an idiot just upping his post count.

Originally Posted by Duster_360
You need to use a med thread locker. It will stop the loosening nad will not cause anything to strip when you remove them. I use blue loctite and don't have screws coming loose. Don't use the red - it is semi permanent!

You need to start with clean, grease free screws and screw holes. I use a shot of motor spray (alcohol will work too) to clean the screws and holes before applying loctite. Use a cleaner that is evaporating so it doesn't interfere with the loctite curing. Loctite needs some time to set also - don't apply and expect it to cure instantly, it doesn't. Depending on temp, it needs a few to several hrs. I usually try to let mine cure overnite, that way I'm sure its set.

I use Tony's Screw kits - 1st thing I do to a new RC, replace everything with high strength alloy steel hex heads. Tony also sells individual screws.
I can't believe it took 4 posts till somebody said "blue loctite"

All you need as Duster said is some loctite. Takes very little and you'll never have the issue again. You should ALWAYS use blue loctite on ANY metal to metal connection on the chassis.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by smokn72ss
sounds liek tony's screws come highly recommended . I'll have to get a screw kit for it. I know I'm sick of the junk ss ones strippign the heads out ..
When I got started in surface RC from planes, I went for a SS screw kit- they looked good, wouldn't rust etc. Boy did I learn quickly - simple maintenance, I was stripping heads about every 3rd time I pulled them. They are just too soft.

Tony's or Hexcrews won't do that. I've been using Tony's kits for several yrs and I'm getting ready to order another.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks everyone just orderd a set for it .. I'm done with the ss ones .... I apreciate the help ...