Wiki Posts
Search

traxxas top fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Any fuel listed as heli fuel or is there a particular one? I've got a pr of engines to breakin when weather improves.
I always used Cool Power 20%, but the oil content is what gives the added protection. The break-in period is when the most damage is caused on a motor, because the piston/sleeve is so tight.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm familar with what's hapenning during breakin. I typically follow a heat cycling type procedure where I get temp up over 200F to allow expansion so there's no abnormal loads on rod, crankpin or anything else. I don't just idle an engine on a stand.

Thanks, I'll look for some Cool-Power to try on my next breakins.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What do you guys thnk of Wildcat? I have been using it for some time because its a few buck cheaper than Odonnels at the lhs and they told me that Wildcat makes Odonnel. Im not sure if they are full of it or not, they sell both so why would they try to sell me the cheaper stuff?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

http://www.wildcatfuels.com/container.html

Thats Wildcats site and there's no mention of Odonnels, so either your lhs guy is misinformed or he's pulling your leg.

If you read the stuff on Wildcat Fuels, I can't see why there would be a prob. They don't do sponsorships and apparently that lets them sell their fuel cheaper. Cheaper doesn't mean its lower quality; looks like its the other way in this case.

TF is made by Powermaster and acknowledged on their site, so I don't see why Wildcat wouldn't acknowledge Odonnels if it were true.

Last edited by Duster_360; 12-26-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaytowilk
Hey what do you guys think of traxxas top fuel 20% nitro? is this good fuel for any engine, or just mainly traxxas engines? would it be okay to run in a mach 28? thanx in advance for the feedback...
like the second post in the thread i ran it too as it was "recommended" and i was a newbie at the time..

my opinion its garbage and wont run it again.

EDIT:

i run XP 33%. i used to traxxas because it was recommended but not anymore.

Last edited by savage.25; 01-11-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
http://www.wildcatfuels.com/container.html

Thats Wildcats site and there's no mention of Odonnels, so either your lhs guy is misinformed or he's pulling your leg.

If you read the stuff on Wildcat Fuels, I can't see why there would be a prob. They don't do sponsorships and apparently that lets them sell their fuel cheaper. Cheaper doesn't mean its lower quality; looks like its the other way in this case.

TF is made by Powermaster and acknowledged on their site, so I don't see why Wildcat would acknowledge Odonnels if it were true.
Yeah, I havent had any issues with Wildcat so i will just keep using it. If it aint broke dont try and fix it.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jaytowilk
Hey what do you guys think of traxxas top fuel 20% nitro? is this good fuel for any engine, or just mainly traxxas engines? would it be okay to run in a mach 28? thanx in advance for the feedback...
I'd stay away from Traxxas Fuel, it's way too OILY.
I run "Team Losi Nitrotane Race Gallon 30%" in my TMaxx.
It does just fine for me.

73 de Dave
Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
Im not sure about the other fuel brands but I have used Traxxas top fuel and Maxies, and felt they were about the same. I was told by several people that it was ok to switch between the brands, but that you should keep the percentage the same. IE.... if you use 20% stay with 20%
Not sure in cars, I havent change brand or % (want to burn what I got left first) but I been flying helis for while now; with heli engines when you change from one brand to another usually you have to re-tune your engine to that particular fuel brand. When you change % of nitro, you have to rich your engine when going up in nitro%. We go 3 clicks at the time( 1/8 of an inch). Always keeping an eye in the temperature; that will be the key! The engine temp! Higher nitro % will change your engine temp up so you have to pay attention to it. I sup that it will be very similar with the trucks?

One thing that most of the time happens is that your glow-plug goes bad and have to replace it when you go up in nitro%.

PS Im gonna give Odonnels a try! I used WildCat fuel in my heli for over a year and had no complains about it; dont know about the car blend.

Last edited by 30636086; 01-04-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Traxxas fuel is garbage. As one user said, way too oily. Makes your OWB slip really bad. Good tip if you're using it though and this happens, hold the rear of the car above the front and it will start then. Guessing the oil runs out of the bearings and allows it to grab the shaft.

Back in my nitro days, I ran Blue Thunder and loved it.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Traxxas fuel is garbage. As one user said, way too oily. Makes your OWB slip really bad. Good tip if you're using it though and this happens, hold the rear of the car above the front and it will start then. Guessing the oil runs out of the bearings and allows it to grab the shaft.

Back in my nitro days, I ran Blue Thunder and loved it.
Yup I took the OWB out and cleaned cause it started to slip real bad, at half of gallon of fuel, I cleaned and its good again! lol But thanks for the heads up
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

This is absolutely not true. For one thing your OWB should be packed full of synthetic oil, fuel should not even be a factor in your OWB. Those are roller bearings made to grab the shaft in one direction only. If fuel is compromising that area you should be replacing the starter shaft and backplate.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Well friend it actually is true. I quit making up stories just to appear to know what I am talking about long ago.

I ran blue thunder, no issues at all and fired up perfect every time.

I ran Top Fuel and it SUCKED. This is MY OPINION and MY EXPERIENCE. People having different points of view and opinions are what make this country so great.
I have since realized nitro altogether sucks and don't have to worry about fuel at all so I'm happy.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Well friend it actually is true. I quit making up stories just to appear to know what I am talking about long ago.

I ran Top Fuel and it SUCKED. This is MY OPINION and MY EXPERIENCE. People having different points of view and opinions are what make this country so great.
I have since realized nitro altogether sucks and don't have to worry about fuel at all so I'm happy.
I switched to gas
Old 01-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Tech Addict

Whether you made them up to make it sound like you new what you are talking about or not they are just stories and not facts. I don't care about your opinions on fuel because it is your right as said. But your thoughts on oil in fuel affecting the OWB is false. Clean the OWB and fill it with Mobil 1 and you will be good to go. It is probably a good thing you went electric and might have good advice for some of them like red to red and black to black.

Last edited by pntmachine; 01-09-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

So how come mine is working fine after I cleaned then? Now you guys going back and forward of who's right and who's wrong, make think what caused then? Because I just know that mine was slipping and now its not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.