Search

Quick battery question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Quick battery question.

Thanks for all the help already guys!

I was not able to get my hands on a matching smc pack for the eRevo that I just ordered, so I bought two max amps 6500mah packs that they have advertised as eRevo twin packs (worded similar to that) any way....

I found it odd there was no c rating, and that one was not given to me when I asked about it today. I read their page that explains c rating is for individual cells, and not the pack in its entirety, long story short, I did understand the explination, and fully believe the person who helped me on the phone.

I guess my question is, has anyone used these packs and what do you think of them? Power, out put, durability, ect...

I know some like them, others hate them, My only lipo fire was with one of there saddle packs, but the replaced it for free, and I was given a three year warantee with the packs that I bought today, so thats where Im at.

So set up is the above batteries, eRevo, and Tekin RX8 with 2000kv truggy motor.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

MA took a lot of heat when they were on the RCMonster forums, so much so that they bailed and left. I know they are better now than they were then (overrated and overpriced). They are not bad rating wise (compared to other lipos), but they are still over priced, imo.

They will do fine, MA sells too many of thse for them not to be good in the ERevo.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Im not defending my purchase, but I agree they are a tad on the expensive side. I have bought from big state side companies in the past rather than the china bought route that others have taken.

WIth both state side companies, I have had battery failures over the past few years, and both times they were replaced for free. I know some who have bought over seas batteries had good luck while others have not, but in all cases the overseas batteries were not replaced and the rc driver was out the $.

With a 3 year warantee, I was able to justify the extra $, though I do agree they are expensive.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
MA took a lot of heat when they were on the RCMonster forums, so much so that they bailed and left. I know they are better now than they were then (overrated and overpriced). They are not bad rating wise (compared to other lipos), but they are still over priced, imo.

They will do fine, MA sells too many of thse for them not to be good in the ERevo.
i agree overpriced and over rated 150$ for 1 battery when you can get 3 or 4 zippys for that. from what ive seen they are great for the price.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Lord

I see a lot of probs with zippys, turnigys, flightmaxxs etc posted here and on RCM. Decent cells, haphazard assembly, some good, some terrible. Read the warranty you agree to when you buy from them, you'll realize you're very prob not going to get any replacements.

Sounds like you've been lucky so far.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I see a lot of probs with zippys, turnigys, flightmaxxs etc posted here and on RCM. Decent cells, haphazard assembly, some good, some terrible. Read the warranty you agree to when you buy from them, you'll realize you're very prob not going to get any replacements.

Sounds like you've been lucky so far.
odk we have abput 15 or 20 of them now we had one over charge by quite a bit and we cycled it snapped the case back on it works just as good as it ever has. im not saying max amps is bad but imo its too expensive for what you get and with the current trend in batteries max amps is going to have to lower there prices to be competitive.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

There list prices are high, but with a little himmin and hawing, I was offered a free 3 year warantee, and they took 15% off the total.

It brought the price down, closer to other name brands, but not clost to turengy or zippy.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

what are some other economical choices out there for the erevo....4s? I have the SMC 6000's, but looking for some other packs.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Lord

http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=2506

I haven't tried their lipos, but feedback has been good. If these are as good as their NiMHs are they're a solid buy. The wiring, hard case with real wires, not bullets.

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
There list prices are high, but with a little himmin and hawing, I was offered a free 3 year warantee, and they took 15% off the total.

It brought the price down, closer to other name brands, but not clost to turengy or zippy.
Just out of curiosity, is that a pro-rated warranty or a replacement type warranty??
Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I was lookin at Hobbycity's Zippy and Turnigy LiPo's. They seam pretty cheap with good reviews. I could get 2 5000's (with overseas shipping) for around $100.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Lord

You won't beat them for cost and what I've read they are decent cells. They are not matched and the assembly seems haphazard. They have to cut corners and soldering is one place where they cut corners. If you're lucky and get a pair that your charger will charger - this is how it starts for a soldering prob, shcarger won't charge them and gives some kind of connection error, then thats great.

Others have had to re-solder connections and within short time remove shrink and re-solder the wires to the cell tabs.

The other place they seem to cut corners is in securing the cells - they don't glue them together or tape then together. Cells can more relative to each other and put stress on wires at the cell tabs and they eventually pull off.

The cells dicharge unevenly and the deeper you discharge them, teh mor eout of balance they get. If you take care of them (always balance charge) and don't discharge them too deeply, they'll wind up being worth the money.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=2506

Just out of curiosity, is that a pro-rated warranty or a replacement type warranty??
Pro rated. 100% the first year, 66% second year, 33% the third year is the ammount of replacement cost they will cover.

Though its pro rated, it is still a good warantee, especially because it was at no additional cost, and most others wont warantee anything especially over a couple of months old.