Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LST XXL Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default LST XXL Questions...

I have decided to buy a brand new LST XXL! I had a few questions and concerns that I was hoping that you guys could help with. First off, what are the weak points in the LST line of products? What are the parts that I should replace with aftermarket stuff? What is the best way to set it up to run on sand dunes? Sorry for all the questions, but I dont want to go buy this thing and not have all the essentials to make it run the best in the conditions im running it in, which will mostly be beach bashing and huge jumps. Thanks guys!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ves800ultra
I have decided to buy a brand new LST XXL! I had a few questions and concerns that I was hoping that you guys could help with. First off, what are the weak points in the LST line of products? What are the parts that I should replace with aftermarket stuff? What is the best way to set it up to run on sand dunes? Sorry for all the questions, but I dont want to go buy this thing and not have all the essentials to make it run the best in the conditions im running it in, which will mostly be beach bashing and huge jumps. Thanks guys!
Me again! Figured I'd chime in first.

Don't worry about aftermarket stuff yet. Get your RTR and break it in as specified in the manual.

DO get a temp gun. The duratrax one is cheap and works fine. Use it to assure that you get your engine up to 200 degrees during break in. Follow the 'Engine Break in Bible' thread that is stickied to the top of the Nitro Off Road forum.

Once broken in properly, go ahead and bash the hell out of it on your dunes and see if anything breaks. If the same part breaks more than once then upgrade that part with aftermarket stuff.

This should be a pretty tough truck and there's no need to start upgrading it right off the bat. Once you know what your driving style is like (and what it breaks) then go from there.

Get the temp gun and a set of the manual recommended hex drivers for now.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Almost forgot that your XXL comes with temp telemetry. I have the same radio on my 8B RTR. Some say the telemery is crap but mine is matching up with my duratrax temp gun as well as with most others guns at my track.

I'd still get the duratrax temp gun for $20 and make sure your telemetry is reading right before trusting it soley. The key to reading the temps with the telemetry is letting the truck sit at idle for about 5 seconds and then reading the numbers. The manual states this as well.

Have fun!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

The motor mount is weak and will most likely be the first thing to go. Most everyone i know with and LST based truck uses the Dynamite brace.

The next thing will probably be the arms. RPM makes the only and best arms for the LSt based trucks. Stay away from any thing alluminum other than the engine brace I mentioned.

Other than that, the truck is solid!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

+1 on the engine brace, that's a must on any LST platform truck. More specifically you want to replace the stock one with DYN7214B.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you choose the rpm arms I would recommend replacing the camber links with some lunsford titanium ones. The rpm stainless camber links are weak. When they break they usually break off flush which makes getting them out a real chore. Rpm will not warranty the camber links. The other common upgrade is the steering knuckles. I recommend the new era aluminum knuckles. With the engine brace, steering knuckles, and rpm arms you will have a pretty bulletproof setup.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

That truck uses losi's combination spin start.
people often use cordless drills to start these trucks. Be sure to start your drill in the proper direction or it will foul up the pull start which will make the whole thing useless.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sharkman
That truck uses losi's combination spin start.
people often use cordless drills to start these trucks. Be sure to start your drill in the proper direction or it will foul up the pull start which will make the whole thing useless.
Use the included starter-wand and you'll be fine, unless it breaks...
Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Good suggestion, however I know of no one that uses the included starters except traxxas owners.
Drills last ten times longer on a charge then a 7.2v pack. And yes you can buy ones with more capacity but why pay $35+ for a pack when just about everyone has a cordless drill.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sharkman
Good suggestion, however I know of no one that uses the included starters except traxxas owners.
Drills last ten times longer on a charge then a 7.2v pack. And yes you can buy ones with more capacity but why pay $35+ for a pack when just about everyone has a cordless drill.
More convenient, I'm sure. But as you said, a noob could accidentally spin it the wrong way and ruin things. That's the only reason I suggested the wand. Not meant as a slight to you in any way.