Wiki Posts
Search

MGT 8.0 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)
Default MGT 8.0 Thread

I thought I would start a thread to discuss the mgt 8.0, please share helpful tips/tricks or set-ups. I just bought one and will be racing it in a mt class and was hoping to get some pointers on set up.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

I found these settings on another forum thought I would also post it here.

Set the carb as follows for the AE.50

High End Needle - 3 turns out

Low End Needle - 5 1/2 turns (Carb must be at full open when doing this adjustment)

Metering Screw - 1 turn out. ( Do while carb is still at full open),
That should bring head about even with the back of the carb housing. Once set, do not change!

Idle setting - 1.2mm/0.50in
Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Glow plugs for the 8.0

OS A3
OS #8
MC-59

From what I have read the A3 plug is the best one because it can haddle very rich settings and it will keep running. I have the mc-59 right now but I will try a A3 later and post back my thoughts on the two.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Well I burnt up 2 mc-59 plugs because of running a little lean my truck got up to 260 degrees so I shut it off right away and put the A3 plug in and it ran cooler by alot and was easy to get a good tune. My highest temp was 260 and that was wide open runs back and forth. I will keep using the A3's from now on the truck stayed around 240-250
Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Initiate

ive wanted to get a mgt for a while but had a couple questions about them...1.is a a good basher/durable truck 2.is it actucally fast 3.are there a decent amount of hop ups 4.are there really any design flaws in it 5.is the engine reliable
Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrorustler135
ive wanted to get a mgt for a while but had a couple questions about them...1.is a a good basher/durable truck 2.is it actucally fast 3.are there a decent amount of hop ups 4.are there really any design flaws in it 5.is the engine reliable
Yes it's a great basher and it is durable. The engine has very good power andwhen tuned good it will wheelie like no other and and launch like a rocket. As for hop ups I have not really checked but I'm sure there are. I would say the only thing that I have heard of being a problem was with some engines. There were some problems with the backplates But it seems they have fixd them now. I would highly recommend sealing the engine just for the sake of having consitant tunes in case of an air leak. These engines are not made for super high speeds it's a MT and has tons of TORQUE.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Truck_Buster
Yes it's a great basher and it is durable. The engine has very good power andwhen tuned good it will wheelie like no other and and launch like a rocket. As for hop ups I have not really checked but I'm sure there are. I would say the only thing that I have heard of being a problem was with some engines. There were some problems with the backplates But it seems they have fixd them now. I would highly recommend sealing the engine just for the sake of having consitant tunes in case of an air leak. These engines are not made for super high speeds it's a MT and has tons of TORQUE.
totally agree with you + there are some hop-ups check out this site...

http://www.xtownrc.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30_96
Old 06-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tuning probs

Originally Posted by Truck_Buster
I found these settings on another forum thought I would also post it here.

Set the carb as follows for the AE.50

High End Needle - 3 turns out

Low End Needle - 5 1/2 turns (Carb must be at full open when doing this adjustment)

Metering Screw - 1 turn out. ( Do while carb is still at full open),
That should bring head about even with the back of the carb housing. Once set, do not change!

Idle setting - 1.2mm/0.50in
Hi

I am having trouble getting my MGT8 to run . As soon as i apply some thottle it just dies ?
Had a few tanks of fuel through it from new run rich. I was just trying to get it to run better ?
Regards
John
Old 08-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

I've had the same problem when applying throttle and it dies. What I do is when I'm trying to start it, listen for when it sounds like its about to start and apply a little bit of constant throttle to keep it running and it will stay on. Drive it around for a little while to warm it up and afterwards it should stay running, works for me.

My problem that I'm having now, is that I barely have any brakes. How do I adjust the brakes?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey all, the one way bearing in my 8.0 doesn't want to turn the engine over. Wondering who has come up with a fix or alternative to starting the engine. Or is there a way to clean the bearing and get it to turn the engine over again.

Thank you!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rjmakk
Hey all, the one way bearing in my 8.0 doesn't want to turn the engine over. Wondering who has come up with a fix or alternative to starting the engine. Or is there a way to clean the bearing and get it to turn the engine over again.

Thank you!
Spray something into the bearing and it will work temporarily once it seeps in there. Or just replace it. Might need a generic bearing to press in, as the Associated part is likely unavailable.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by timjs
Spray something into the bearing and it will work temporarily once it seeps in there. Or just replace it. Might need a generic bearing to press in, as the Associated part is likely unavailable.
Thank you, something like wd40?
Old 03-27-2019, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Wd40, nitro fuel, gasoline, anything.
I want to say my MGT trucks' one way bearing holders had a hole in the bottom of the broached hex that would let the fluid get straight into the bearing. There was no disassembly required to "lube" the bearings and get them grabbing again. (Temporarily, again)
Old 03-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by timjs
Wd40, nitro fuel, gasoline, anything.
I want to say my MGT trucks' one way bearing holders had a hole in the bottom of the broached hex that would let the fluid get straight into the bearing. There was no disassembly required to "lube" the bearings and get them grabbing again. (Temporarily, again)

Right on, thank you, I'll take a look and give it a shot!
Old 03-29-2019, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Some great/rare parts here like aluminum shock caps, factory team steering, titanium tie rods, etc.

Team Associated Monster GT / Rival BONANZA! RARE, CUSTOM, Stronger parts!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.